Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA CarryGuard

(Berks County)

Default Re: NRA CarryGuard

FWIW people, I use GOF as my Amazon Smile donatee. The Foundation is a separate arm of the GOA. I agree with all of the above statements concerning the NRA vs GOA / FOAC.

ETA - GOF = Gun Owners Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    FWIW people, I use GOF as my Amazon Smile donatee. The Foundation is a separate arm of the GOA. I agree with all of the above statements concerning the NRA vs GOA / FOAC.

ETA - GOF = Gun Owners Foundation
    Thanks for the information, I'm going to change my Amazon Smile to GOF today.

(Berks County)

The NRA CarryGuard website FAQs have some interesting info:

Is the payment of criminal defense costs on a reimbursement basis?

Yes, payment of criminal defense costs is on a reimbursement basis. State laws prohibit insurance companies from covering their policy holders’ criminal acts. Once charges against you are dropped or you are found not guilty, NRA Carry Guard protection will reimburse your criminal defense costs up to the sublimit provided by your membership level, less any Supplementary Payments made.

How do the various insurance limits in my membership apply?

Each NRA Carry Guard member’s fully insured coverage has four components of coverage: Civil suit liability, civil defense legal costs, criminal defense reimbursement and supplementary payments. When an NRA Carry Guard member uses a legally possessed firearm in self-defense, the member will have immediate access to their insured supplementary payments. This amount is up to 20% of the criminal defense reimbursement limit. Any criminal defense costs incurred by the member are reimbursed when their case is dismissed or are found not guilty. If a civil suit is presented by the alleged victim(s), the remaining policy limit will apply. Supplementary payments and related criminal defense reimbursement expenses will reduce the amount of insurance available for civil suit damage awards.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Berks County)

Here's a comparison that was just released.

USCCA_CarryGuard_ComparisonChart.jpg
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Delaware County)

Although the one plan from USCCA appears to be considerably better, I would like to see the info for all groups offering this coverage in one place.

Also, The NRA has the right to admit anyone or no one for whatever reason they want...afterall, it is their show. I think some of you need to quit being so critical and take off the blinders. If the shoe fits, wear it!

(Allegheny County)

I have been checking out these plans too.

My question is that on the plans that provide attorneys, the ones I am seeing in my area aren't exactly the varsity. I haven't heard of any of them, they seem like single attorney practices that may try a criminal case a couple of times a year, if at all. I have dealt with law firms for about the last 25 years in my job around Pittsburgh, and I don't see any of the heavy hitters, or even the middle to small size ones on these plans.

So my question is, do you take a plan with a free sub-par attorney, or just save your money and burn investments, mortgage your house etc. to buy the best possible defense you can afford if, God forbid, you need it ?

I did see Gunlawyer on one of these plans, which would be good for you guys on the eastern end of the state. I'd like to hear his opinion on this.

Do these plans reimburse whatever counsel you chose, or do you have to go with one of theirs in order to get reimbursed ?

I had a claim on NRA insurance for theft loss and it almost covered nothing. In addition, I am a Benefactor member and that is 3 levels after life member and I got nothing for the additional payments except a different hat.

I don't believe the NRA should sell insurance for firearms carry. They used to support members without such insurance. In addition, are they going to scare members in the American Rifleman into buying insurance. That may backfire and maybe a member that would have used lethal force may be too scared and a negative result may happen.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    Although the one plan from USCCA appears to be considerably better, I would like to see the info for all groups offering this coverage in one place.

Also, The NRA has the right to admit anyone or no one for whatever reason they want...afterall, it is their show. I think some of you need to quit being so critical and take off the blinders. If the shoe fits, wear it!
    Yep, it is their show. BUT I am the NRA, or so they advertise.

I'm a life member but sure as hell don't walk in lock-step with everything that they do.

Sorry.

I'd skip the NRA coverage just because it's new and who knows how good it'll be if needed. I listen to the welikeshooting podcast and they always advertise second call defense which I've heard of before. http://www.secondcalldefense.org. They have various tiers also, $10, $20, or $40/mo. They don't reimburse you which is awesome(paid on the spot) and they seem legit, the founder(a lawyer) has also been on their show in the past. I am expecting to get my LTCF hopefully before the end of this month and am def considering getting second call defense, still want to research them.

P.S. if anyone's interested, there's a coupon code for second call defense, I think it's "WLS" which is supposed to get you a we like shooting mug and like a free month of the program.

(Montgomery County)

Keep in mind with all things insurance it intrinsically sounds good to have lots of coverage, but that can backfire on you when someone is looking to sue. If you have a million dollars in coverage the lawyer for the other party is going to think he can collect up to a million dollars from the insurance company that is going to be obliged to pay. That is not particularly true though if you are say run of the mill middle class and have some savings, retirement, and maybe some property. To divest you of that to pay of a judgement is a lot more difficult. Said lawyer may instead look to settle out of court for a modest sum or not even file suit at all.

When considering anything business/financial/legal always make sure you consult a professional with experience before committing to any course of action.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast