Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Response letters you've received from reps.

Post 'em as you get 'em. Gotta get 'em all!
    I'll start with the most recent I got from cartwright. I expect more in the future as I've got at least another 5 letters out there.
    My most recent batch was a 6 paragraph, general letter that covered the 2A, various related violations of state laws by agencies and snipped at taxation.
    In general I try to keep these: short, sweet and to the point but this one i went big for.
    Mods, please move if there is a more appropriate sub forum.
    Dear *fallenleader*,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me with your thoughts on gun safety and your support for the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and I'm glad to have the opportunity to respond.

As a Congressman I took an oath to uphold the Constitution, and as a former trial attorney I have the deepest respect for our nation's laws. The tragic shootings in Orlando, Oregon, California, Washington, D.C., Connecticut, Wisconsin, Colorado, and Ross Township, PA have kept gun safety into the spotlight and I recognize that this is a sensitive issue fraught with emotion.

Our country has a long and proud tradition of gun ownership and having owned guns myself I recognize the important role they play in our history and in the lives of many Americans today. I respect the rights of hunters and those who use guns for recreational purposes as I too enjoy shooting. I also recognize the need for individuals to protect their homes and their families. I do not seek to punish the many responsible and law-abiding gun owners but rather seek to find a balanced approach during this debate on gun safety. We must protect our Second Amendment rights while keeping our children safe.

I am a member of the Gun Violence Prevention Task Force and will work towards solutions to prevent future tragedies, including ensuring sufficient access to mental health services. I will approach this assignment with an open mind, and am looking for input from all sides of the issue. I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind as we continue this debate.

If you would like to stay connected to our office with the latest news, legislation, and other useful information, please sign-up up for my e-newsletter or visit my website. Thank you again for writing, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or comments.
    Sincerely,
    (signed)
    Matt Cartwright
    Member of Congress
    MC/KH
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Default Re: Response letters you've received from reps.

Oh, I've got some good ones.

Dear Senator Daylin Leach:
    As a law-abiding Second Amendment supporter in Pennsylvania, I urge you to please support Senate Bill 383.
    Sincerely,
    <signed>

Thank you for reaching out to me regarding Senate Bill 383. I am deeply opposed to Senate Bill 383 and will do everything I can to oppose it.

Sincerely,
    Daylin

I am wholly unsatisfied with your response. You are on the wrong side of this issue. With four exceptions, every mass shooting in the last 65 years has been in a gun free zone. Allowing qualified teachers to exercise their second amendment rights and respond immediately to any threats is the best way to prevent further school shootings. Police and armed guards are not able to respond in seconds. Only an armed teacher could.

Also, I'd like to call your attention to Article 1, Section 21 of the PA State Constitution which states: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. Art. 1, § 21 (enacted 1790, art. IX, § 21).

Armed teachers are already allowed in 18 states. It's time to add Pennsylvania to this list. Please reconsider your position on SB 383 and support this bill.

Sincerely,
    <signed>

My position on guns is long-standing and unsurprising to those in my Senatorial District.

This bill doesn't question an individual's right to own a weapon. Just as we cannot have weapons in an airport, we should not have weapons in schools. Such restrictions now are not deemed unconstitutional by any court in the United States.

I question the thought that more guns equals more safety. In fact to me, it is the exact opposite. Mistakes happen, and the more guns out there, the more likely for tragic accidents that can be avoided.

I have the utmost faith in law enforcement and their ability to respond to a crisis. This bill does not provide for further safety for our schools. It is a bill aimed to promote the divergence in gun policies between the left and the right.

I have no intention of reconsidering my position on SB 383.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Daylin
    ETA: Not that I expected anything different from him, it's just pathetic.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Northampton County)

"I am wholly unsatisfied with your response." . . . I literally just burst out laughing at work. That response from Daylin was pretty pathetic.

I received a doozy once. I had written a letter and copied every rep state-wide to support the NRA preemption bill a couple years back allowing municipalities and cities to be sued when they infringe with illegal regulations. I was professional and courteous but reminded them that we are watching them closely and will remember their decisions when we go to vote. The response from this guy floored me, he apparently thought I was threatening him. The arrogance!

He started out my calling me by my last name...ONLY, No "Mr." or respect shown.

<my last name only>- first, know that I am a co-sponsor on this proposal. Now, I tell you that in the time I have been in this job, there are only two groups which dependably threaten me in their communications. The beer union, and they have ceased their cranky emails. The second is the gun rights supporters. That’s you. Do what you want, but, in the future, I recommend you try being polite with your emails. I do not care for the tone of your note. Lee James

My original e-mail:
    Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:55 PM
    Subject: Please Support HB2011

I am writing to urge you to support HB2011 regarding firearms preemption and making the entire Commonwealth play on the same level. Several municipalities, especially in Philadelphia and other areas have enacted unlawful gun control ordinances that need to be removed. This is a vital bill that we need passes to protect our communities and strengthen our 2nd Amendment rights. Governor Corbett has promised to sign if it reaches his desk in the next 11 days remaining in this legislative session. This is something that the majority of responsible citizens who own firearms want passed.

Remember, we’re watching and how you vote for the bills we want passed will determine how we vote for you when re-election time comes around.

Thank you and God bless.
    <signed>

Somehow this guy is still in office. Just looked him up. http://www.repjames.com/

He's up in no-man's land between Erie and Pittsburgh. Anyone here have him for a rep?
    Last edited by alpacaheat; April 27th, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Other responses I received from that same letter...Rep. Jim Cox (129th) wrote me a full 2-pages on letterhead explaining the bill, changes that might happen and how he supports the 2A. It was impressive.

And also, I received the shortest response ever:

"Will do.
    Rep. Harhai (Ted)"
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Other responses I received from that same letter...Rep. Jim Cox (129th) wrote me a full 2-pages on letterhead explaining the bill, changes that might happen and how he supports the 2A. It was impressive.

And also, I received the shortest response ever:

"Will do.
    Rep. Harhai (Ted)"
    I'd appreciate someone write, something in response. everything is canned now, pre-written emails. meanwhile i spend upwards of two hours crafting a letter. trying to keep it as short, clean and to the point as possible.
    it's embarrassing but since the topic has gained traction. this was sent to my locals, it is why i opened the topic. i was in a bad mood and could probably have written it shorter and more clearly. a similarly themed but significantly shorter letter went to the bigger guys in state/fed.
    I ask that we begin to take actions on bills that promote the freedom of firearm ownership as a way to secure our rights as humans, citizens of this country and state. Words like "shall not be infringed" and "shall not be questioned" have been used for a reason, it is time that we start adhering to the wisdom of our fathers and not the loud minority who are currently questioning and trying to infringe.

There have been many abuses of the laws on the books by sheriffs in regards to the LTCF system which serves no purpose other than reaffirming the background check a firearm owner has undergone to purchase the firearm they wish to carry. Not only that, the process does nothing if the owner chooses to carry their firearm openly without an LTCF, as per PA law. The various Sheriff's violations have cost multiple counties millions if not tens of millions of dollars in tax payer funds. I've personally been the victim of a sheriff violating the law in this regard, illegally denying a permit as well as stealing the funds I've paid which by law are to be returned, minus a small fee ($1 if i recall) The cost of appeal or legal recourse is too high when one barely makes it by mostly due to prohibitive school taxation. My wife has no criminal record, but was still denied for using references out of county and not providing a tax form. (Both are illegal requirements as per the UFA of Pennsylvania.)

We should be looking to promote the ownership of firearms and work to make training and ranges for practice easily accessible for the people to find and utilize, instead of trying to prohibit by strictly regulating and forcing mandates, we can instead promote both safety and responsibility by making it easier (and optional as per my opening paragraph) to obtain the knowledge, skills and experience one might desire.
    Recently I found the PGC has placed limits on shotgun use at their SGL ranges (I am a registered member to their ranges) I had to drive 45 minutes to a private range and purchase membership only to ensure that my firearm worked properly and that I would be able to hunt in a safe and humane manner. Mind you that there are NO regulations prohibiting shotguns on either the PGC website or in posted rules, they have simply placed laminated "no shotguns" signs at the range itself, none of their officers have been able to confirm or deny the regulation, they answer inconclusively. (They do prohibit certain ammunition types in hunting regulations but that was not in question here)

If we take a look, one would notice a strong correlation with increased violent gun crime in areas with strict laws that keep the general population disarmed, defenseless and safe for criminals to prey on. Many legislators are currently trying to push similar firearm regulations on "we the people" in this fine state.
    I feel that if we maintain our inaction, these bills will become law and our free state will begin it's march toward becoming an oppressed, crime ridden, criminal safe zone akin to various states and cities across our country. Gun crime can be tragic, but murder is already among our most penalized crimes. We've seen that it has done little to stop the act or even to prevent some from being penalized only to return to commit the act again. We should behave wisely and not legislate in unsafe, reactive manners.

I again ask, please show your support in defending our freedoms. Do not allow memo's posted in HB's and SB's that falsely attribute their rationale to crimes they would have failed to prevent and do not allow yourself to be swayed by reactionary, emotional legislation. Instead, be proactive in defending and representing your (often more quiet) majorities.
    Last edited by fallenleader; April 27th, 2017 at 08:14 PM.

Casey responded today.
    Dear Mr. Leader:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

Senator Mike Crapo of Idaho introduced S. 59 on January 9, 2017. The Hearing Protection Act would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Finance, of which I am a member. Should this legislation come up for consideration by the Committee, please be assured I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator
    Last edited by fallenleader; May 10th, 2017 at 10:42 AM.

Casey and Toomey, when they actually reply...ALWAYS say "I'll keep your thoughts in mind."

They never support or oppose anything. This is not limited to 2A matters, I've emailed them about budgets and taxes too and get the same BS.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Just received it.

Dear Mr. Alpacaheat:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

Senator Mike Crapo of Idaho introduced S. 59 on January 9, 2017. The Hearing Protection Act would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Finance, of which I am a member. Should this legislation come up for consideration by the Committee, please be assured I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Just received it.

Dear Mr. Alpacaheat:

Sincerely,
    Bob Casey
    United States Senator
    yep. figured it was canned. still get a kick out of Mike Crapo. senator crapo, mr.crapo. lol
    still waiting on a few more responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast