Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass prep

(Washington County)

Default Re: Brass prep

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    BobGun, are you saying that two brass of the same manufacture having identical external dimensions and weighing the same will hold different volumes? What variations can be expected?

And why weigh it instead of a volume check via a graduate?
    Yes, I have had a few grains difference. I bought 100 Lapua brass and out of the 100 I got 95 with one cap. but the other 5 were different. This could be caused by the machine wearing or something else. I also de-burr the inside of the flash hole.

Well, I'm retired and have alot of time and have my own "pistol pit" in the back yard..I like to shoot pistols...we live "out in the county". I like my brass for reloads to be clean! ;-)

(Montgomery County)

How does one deburr the inside of the flash hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    Well, I'm retired and have alot of time and have my own "pistol pit" in the back yard..I like to shoot pistols...we live "out in the county". I like my brass for reloads to be clean! ;-)
    Hi,

Can you quantify "a little bit of brass polish?" Half-teaspoon, something like that? I'm going to buy one of those rock tumblers at Harbor Freight, and use that to clean my pistol cartridges. I have an issue with the pockets getting loose on the 500 magnum brass. Would this be a case where I should use a pocket swage, or once the pocket is loose, is the brass at the end of it's useful life?

Thanks!

Bruce
    Last edited by bwdavis59; May 10th, 2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Read Quoted post, and got part of my answer.

(Northampton County)

Bruce

When the primers get loose in the pocket the brass is done. The primer swage you are most likely referring to are used to remove the crimp from military brass such as 5.56, 7.62 and 9mm. These crimps keep the primer from backing out under automatic fire. You have to remove the crimp before you can get a new primer in. Some swagers just use a punch to roll the crimp away, some actually remove the crimp by cutting it away and leaving a small chamfer.

As far as brass polish goes, unless you want shiny brass I would leave it out. If you do use some, just experiment a bit with how much you use. Also be careful not to use brass polish that has ammonia in it. The ammonia will weaken the brass over time. It can be a controversial subject to some but why take chances.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by flygrimm View Post
    Bruce

When the primers get loose in the pocket the brass is done. The primer swage you are most likely referring to are used to remove the crimp from military brass such as 5.56, 7.62 and 9mm. These crimps keep the primer from backing out under automatic fire. You have to remove the crimp before you can get a new primer in. Some swagers just use a punch to roll the crimp away, some actually remove the crimp by cutting it away and leaving a small chamfer.

As far as brass polish goes, unless you want shiny brass I would leave it out. If you do use some, just experiment a bit with how much you use. Also be careful not to use brass polish that has ammonia in it. The ammonia will weaken the brass over time. It can be a controversial subject to some but why take chances.

Stuart
    Stuart

Thanks for the info on the primer pocket, that's what I thought, pocket loose, brass done.

Well I bought a dual 3 pound cylinder rock tumbler at harbor freight and put 50 500 mag brass in one and 100 45 ACP in the other with a cup of fine walnut shell media and nothing else. I put them on tumble for 4 hours I'll have a look in the morning. Thanks for the tip on the polish.

Bruce

(Bucks County)

Primer loose fit? Stake it. JUST KIDDING

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Primer loose fit? Stake it. JUST KIDDING
    LOL. I did get PO'd at them one night and ran a toothpick with white glue on it around the inside of the primer pocket before seating the primer (obviously) and every single round fired perfectly, but alas, it's just too messy and too much work. Someone told me I could touch the primer / pocket joint with some lacquer after I loaded them and that would also stop them from backing out. I haven't tried that, yet, but I may.

Bruce
    Last edited by bwdavis59; May 11th, 2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correct poor diction

Quote Originally Posted by bwdavis59 View Post
    Stuart

Thanks for the info on the primer pocket, that's what I thought, pocket loose, brass done.

Well I bought a dual 3 pound cylinder rock tumbler at harbor freight and put 50 500 mag brass in one and 100 45 ACP in the other with a cup of fine walnut shell media and nothing else. I put them on tumble for 4 hours I'll have a look in the morning. Thanks for the tip on the polish.

Bruce
    So, that $90 investment worked out great. My brass came out clean and shiny. I put a cup of the harbor freight fine walnut shell media in each tumbler, with 100 45 ACP in one and 50 500 Magnum cases in the other, and tumbled them for 4 hours. Nothing added. May try the Nu-Shine I see it talked about a lot. I'm sorry I hijacked the thread. I'll try not to do that again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast