Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile S&W MP -45 Shield ?

Any experience with the new Shield 45,Thinking of adding one to the collection but want some info who have owned and experienced this newer model.

(Chester County)

Default Re: S&W MP -45 Shield ?

This is a good start

I never fired one, but I did dry fire them a few times. I was pretty impressed by the trigger....and that says a lot because I normally don't like stock M&P triggers. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I primarily buy 9mm in bulk. I don't really feel like buying .45acp in bulk now too, even though I enjoy shooting .45acp more than 9mm. I really don't think you could go wrong with one. With the $75 rebate going on now, I'd say jump on it.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

GREAT gun, unbelievably accurate for such a small .45. And you can buy 2 for the price of a Glock.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Montgomery County)

I have had a 9mm Shield for a few years. When the 45 Shield came out, I went and bought one. I've been pretty happy with it. I did have some FTF's with one particular JHP (Magtech 230gr) during my second range trip with it. On my third range trip I couldn't reproduce the issue (with the same ammo), so maybe cleaning and a bit more lube cleared the issue, or the gun just needed more "breaking in". I never had any issue with standard target ammo, I have put at least 50 round of 4 different brands down range. Also, no issue with the Federal HST's. I haven't kept accurate notes on exactly how many rounds I fired from the 45, but definitely over 500, probably closer to 700.

I'm not real picky about triggers, all my Glocks are stock triggers. The Shield 9mm is stock. I did find my fullsize M&P 45 trigger horrendous, so I put an Apex duty kit in it. I have no need to change the Shield 45's trigger.

The stippling on the Shield 45 is a bit harsh. I thought it would bother me when shooting as I don't have calloused hands (computer geek by trade). But, I've shot 300+ rounds in a single range visit without any issue. If you would want to carry with the gun handle against your skin, it might be a problem.

Comparing the Shield 45 to my Shield 9, there is very little practical difference, both in size and shooting. The 45 is a tad larger, but barely noticeable. The 45 does perhaps take an instant more to get back on target after firing a round, but I probably wouldn't notice except shooting the two guns back-to-back. I suspect my Shield 9 won't be carried much in the future.

I don't have any other 45 single stacks to compare the Shield against. My last range trip I did take my Glock 30 (45 subcompact) to compare. With it's much wider frame and body, it's drastically different feeling in hand. Both guns are better than my abilities and my accuracy was comparable with both.

Bottomline, I'm happy I bought it.

(Allegheny County)

Shield in 45, YES!!! just picked one up dirt cheap from Grabagun. Smith and wesson is offering a $75 rebate till June 30th to make a great deal even better. Go for it OP!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Bucks County)

not really much different from the 9 or 40. I'd just be repeating everything else on the internet by saying its a bit bigger with marginally less capacity. Shields are very easy to carry and conceal. I'm not a fan of the triggers in M&Ps but that a personal thing. Your experience may differ

The grip texture is great. It seems SW took note of the stippling craze on poly frames and did it for you. I think its great. Personally, no need for me to change or add to it. I would have considered adding some sort of rubber wrap to give just a hair more width to the grip but then I'd be covering that fantastic texture.

In my experience, the shield seems more pleasurable to shoot than other similar models like the XDS in the same caliber. Don't care why, it just seems a little softer.

There isn't quite as much aftermarket support for the 45 yet in terms of holsters, lights, ect, but that will catch up quickly.

I got one recently and I'm very happy with it. MDT, knowing the guns you tend to buy and sell on here, I'd say you'd be happy with it.

just my two cents

(Philadelphia County)

I've had one for a couple of months and am very happy with it. As fuzz said, it's not very different than the Shield 9 or 40. With the added grip of the extended mag, I find the recoil to me a bit better and easier to manage than the 40.

I also find that more often than not, the holsters for my Shield 40 fits my Shield 45 very well.

With the current rebate, S&W made a very worthy buy even better.

(Northampton County)

Currently only $225 @ Palmetto State with the rebate!!!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-m...ack-11531.html

(Elk County)

If I didn't already have a G30S (bought used for $400), I'd spring for a 45 Shield. I fired a friend's and it was equivalent in accuracy to the G30S, and comfortable to hold and shoot.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lehigh County)

The S&W sale is a great deal. I just ordered a .40 Shield, with the rebate $225. Can't pass that up. Already have a full size M&P .40 that I really like so this will be a great compliment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast