Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by ColtShooter View Post
    Sounds very familiar. I know of at least 2 women that got talked into Smith ultra light 38 snub DA only models cause that was what they had to have to save themselves, their families, and God knows what else they were told. We're talking relatively inexperienced shooters and physically petite. Those things are hard to shoot even if you know how to run them properly. I know who sold it to them and which local shop.

If your friend knows what they liked and what worked, bag the shop and go elsewhere and get what works for them. The most I will ever do myself to talk people in/out of anything is to tell a newer shooter to stop looking at full size stuff or compacts or whatever and buy a nice 22 to build their skill set so they are more informed when they are ready for something bigger.
    I see no problem recommending a light 38 snub to inexperienced shooters and physically petite women, in fact when I worked in a LGS I would do that quite regularly. It's light, small, won't jam, no slide, hammer or safety to manipulate. It's a simple self defense weapon, pull the trigger and it goes bang. In fact I carry one myself.

Otherwise I agree with what everyone is saying. Salesman have bias just like anyone else. Unfortunately some people are less willing to accept that others may have different preferences than their own.

I will also agree that many salesman are inexperienced in some ways. It's pretty damn hard to know everything about everything. I worked in a big box store for awhile also and we had everything under the sun as far as employees went. Some were solely into tacticool stuff, others were hunters who had never owned a handgun, some guys were competition level clays shooters, then a few of us were just well rounded Honestly though it made for a good environment (I know people knock on big box stores all the time) because if you weren't really in the know about something in particular there was usually another guy on hand who was.
    Last edited by Marcus99; April 26th, 2017 at 08:15 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

It's not like it's a bad gun. It's obviously a better defense tool than an XDS because of capacity, if one is ok with lugging around a full size pistol. Seems like your friend is to blame if he was looking for a single stack carry gun and ended up with a full size. It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller = easier to carry.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I see no problem recommending a light 38 snub to inexperienced shooters and physically petite women, in fact when I worked in a LGS I would do that quite regularly. It's light, small, won't jam, no slide, hammer or safety to manipulate. It's a simple self defense weapon, pull the trigger and it goes bang. In fact I carry one myself.

Otherwise I agree with what everyone is saying. Salesman have bias just like anyone else. Unfortunately some people are less willing to accept that others may have different preferences than their own.

I will also agree that many salesman are inexperienced in some ways. It's pretty damn hard to know everything about everything. I worked in a big box store for awhile also and we had everything under the sun as far as employees went. Some were solely into tacticool stuff, others were hunters who had never owned a handgun, some guys were competition level clays shooters, then a few of us were just well rounded Honestly though it made for a good environment (I know people knock on big box stores all the time) because if you weren't really in the know about something in particular there was usually another guy on hand who was.
    Many DAO snubbies have horribly heavy triggers which might (sexist alert) be great for a man but a 100 pound woman with little hand strength will probably disagree.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller = easier to carry.
    It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller <> easier to shoot.

All I'm saying is *everyone* has their own considerations...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller = easier to carry.
    On 2nd thought, let me come back to this. Easier to carry <> easier to deploy. My 1911 presents me with a solid whole-hand firing grip from whichever holster method I choose. Some of those small 9mm single stacks don't give me a good grip when I pick them up from the bench, let alone during a draw. For example, a Shield 9mm with extended 8-round mag *barely* gives me full purchase for my ring finger. There are many, many things that go into finding a proper carry gun...

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Many DAO snubbies have horribly heavy triggers which might (sexist alert) be great for a man but a 100 pound woman with little hand strength will probably disagree.
    I think a light snubbie 38 is one of the worst things I've ever shot. Sights suck, recoil is severe. My wife couldn't hit anything with hers and didn't want to shoot it because it hurt her hand too much. The M & P full size is a good gun. It's big. Not the easiest gun to conceal, but I've concealed my Ruger super redhawk with a 7 1/2 barrel. Maybe the guy loved the gun or they had a bunch of them. It's not like he recommended a Hi Point.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

After handling and shooting a number of guns, my wife at the time ended up buying an S&W 642 .38 spl. This was against my advice as it wasn't for carry but for HD. We ended up taking a couple of handgun courses. She ended up borrowing one of my CZ-75's as she hated shooting the snubby.

(Butler County)

When I was shopping around for a shield one guy got pissed off when I told him that another guy had it for about 50 bucks less than he did. He said smugly, "Ah, well.... Better go see him, then. He probably has one of those Kickback agreements with Smith & Wesson." I didnt buy my Shield from either one of them though. 3hrs later I won one on Gunbroker for $257 plus fees, which is absolutely the best deal I've ever seen on a 9mm Shield so far. And it's MINE.

(Chester County)

If it's the shop I think it is (it's close to spring city and has a range), it's par for the course. They have a couple guys there with big opinions and bigger mouths. "Kimber guy" is hilarious - want a pocket 380? Buy a kimber 1911. Want a shotgun for skeet shooting? Buy a kimber 1911!
    They've also threatened to throw me out of the range because I'm off eye dominant and they said I was shooting with my head turned and eyes closed. I don't always shoot with my eyes closed, but when I do, I put every round in the 10 ring at @15 yards. Lol

(Chester County)

It was more like oh your friend is taller that you and you carry an XDS so immediately your opinion is wrong and I'm a former marine....... ect... So I found out my friend only put it on law away so I told him to go with one of his first choices. The Sheild or XDs 9mm and avoid him because he is just trying to make a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    They'll also kick a little lady like a mule. My FIL was trying to get a Smith Airweight snubbie for my wife. I resisted and let her try out semi-autos and we found one that's easy to shoot. She was a new shooter and recoil was a major consideration. Also, I wanted to be the one to buy her first gun. She had shot my guns and I knew what she could and could not handle.

I don't think that's a good choice for any new shooter, especially a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    After handling and shooting a number of guns, my wife at the time ended up buying an S&W 642 .38 spl. This was against my advice as it wasn't for carry but for HD. We ended up taking a couple of handgun courses. She ended up borrowing one of my CZ-75's as she hated shooting the snubby.
    Like most stories I've heard about them.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast