Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

I went with a friend to a local gun shop to help him pick out his first pistol for concealed carry. We looked and he went and rented a couple of guns. Xds 9mm, Glock 19, and a Ruger LCR 357. He shot all of them and did the best with the xds. So when it came time to put a gun on law away the Employee went above and beyond to under mind what my friend had done and learned. Talking him away from an Xds to an M&P 2.0 full size with ambi safety.
    So my question is why did the shop employee push for my friend to go to a full size with a safety after this range trip? Was he just looking for a sale or just being a jerk?

Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by Code13 View Post
    I went with a friend to a local gun shop to help him pick out his first pistol for concealed carry. We looked and he went and rented a couple of guns. Xds 9mm, Glock 19, and a Ruger LCR 357. He shot all of them and did the best with the xds. So when it came time to put a gun on law away the Employee went above and beyond to under mind what my friend had done and learned. Talking him away from an Xds to an M&P 2.0 full size with ambi safety.
    So my question is why did the shop employee push for my friend to go to a full size with a safety after this range trip? Was he just looking for a sale or just being a jerk?

Probably both. This is nothing new and from what I have seen in the last few years from one of my local shops it would appear they like to hire people who know absolutely nothing about firearms and possibly have no interest in them at all.

Last Friday I helped an older lady buy her 1st pistol which she would be using for self defense. After watching her ask question after question and the salesman giving her one word answers many of which made absolutely no sense I said excuse me and jumped in. She was very happy that I did and must have thanked me 20 times for the 10 minutes of Q and A I provided her which contained basic information that every gun store worker should know.

Your friend will probably learn the hard way which is going to cost him some extra hundreds but in the end you tried and that's all you can do.

(Armstrong County)

Lots of gun store workers are narcissistic. They believe it's their way or no way. I'm willing to bet a m&p is what that employee carries, which is why the employee deterred your friend from the Glock to the m&p.

I know of a gun store that will not carry AKs. Their gunsmith doesn't like them, because "I've been shot at by them too much.". So therefore, they don't carry them.

(York County)

I don't think anyone could tell you exactly why, we can't read his mind. Could be that the shop was trying to offload M&Ps, could be that he has a distaste for XDs', could be that he honestly thinks it's a better choice, who knows... What I can tell you for sure is that gun store employees are often the worst people to take purchasing advice from. There are a few really knowledgeable guys for sure, but the guy whose job description is to take a gun out of the case and put the gun back in the case usually isn't one of the elite.
    --Adam

(Elk County)

When the M&P semiauto handgun was introduced back in the day, there were factory-to-dealer incentives along the lines of "sell five, get one free". Some dealers "gave" the free ones to salesmen who sold the qualifying amount. If you went to Grice Gun Shop, the M&P was the best thing since sliced bread, and all you heard at the handgun counter was a zombie-like chant of "M&P, M&P, M&P . . ."

"I'd like to buy a 22 Cricket for my kid . . . "
    "Forget the Cricket; you need an M&P, let me show you."

Could be that the 2.0 is similarly incentivized.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Sounds very familiar. I know of at least 2 women that got talked into Smith ultra light 38 snub DA only models cause that was what they had to have to save themselves, their families, and God knows what else they were told. We're talking relatively inexperienced shooters and physically petite. Those things are hard to shoot even if you know how to run them properly. I know who sold it to them and which local shop.

If your friend knows what they liked and what worked, bag the shop and go elsewhere and get what works for them. The most I will ever do myself to talk people in/out of anything is to tell a newer shooter to stop looking at full size stuff or compacts or whatever and buy a nice 22 to build their skill set so they are more informed when they are ready for something bigger.

(Indiana County)

Casually let your friend know the counterguy is a tool and that he is buying a gun he won't likely carry.
    After that it's on him.

(Chester County)

Gun shops are in business to make money. They will typically push what gets them the most margin. Do your research.

Some gun shops are occupied by former car salesmen. Who knew?

Hokkmike Guest

In my experience getting rid of certain inventory that's been around too long, selling better profit margins, or maybe just recommending on the basis of personal preference are reasons some LGS's push what they do.

A good seller must be a good listener.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast