Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    When the M&P semiauto handgun was introduced back in the day, there were factory-to-dealer incentives along the lines of "sell five, get one free". Some dealers "gave" the free ones to salesmen who sold the qualifying amount. If you went to Grice Gun Shop, the M&P was the best thing since sliced bread, and all you heard at the handgun counter was a zombie-like chant of "M&P, M&P, M&P . . ."

Noah
    Damn Noah I guess you are old enough to have been on the Ark...I as one of the older members on this site I wasn't around to see the M&P introduction.

Smith & Wesson Model 10 (aka Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model of 1899, Smith & Wesson Military & Police, or the Smith & Wesson Victory Model) has been on the market for over a 115 years...
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Lots of gun store workers are narcissistic. They believe it's their way or no way. I'm willing to bet a m&p is what that employee carries, which is why the employee deterred your friend from the Glock to the m&p.

I know of a gun store that will not carry AKs. Their gunsmith doesn't like them, because "I've been shot at by them too much.". So therefore, they don't carry them.
    HAHA - no truer words said.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

I don't have any idea why he would do that. Perhaps he has an ulterior motive. I own and carry a M&P full size from time to time because my body's frame can get away with it. However- for someone looking for the best of both worlds (firepower and concealability) I would have recommended the XDs in this case. The employee probably went for the sale. I would be wary of the employee in question in the future.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    Damn Noah I guess you are old enough to have been on the Ark...I as one of the older members on this site I wasn't around to see the M&P introduction.

Smith & Wesson Model 10 (aka Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model of 1899, Smith & Wesson Military & Police, or the Smith & Wesson Victory Model) has been on the market for over a 115 years...
    Model 10 semiauto?

That must be a rare bird...

(Bucks County)

Having worked at a gun shop for awhile..... I was somewhat reluctant to voice my opinion on specifically what model to buy.... Particularly with first time buyers..... Would rather show them severel in a given class of handgun and let them decide for themselves..... After I gave them help in narrowing down their perameters....

There is a particular type of fella.... Who I think of as a "gun store commando", these guys would come in.... And demand your opinion of what's type of gun you liked.... What Ammo, Revolver vs Auto.... 9mm vs .45..... Blue vs. stainless.... Etc. just to argue with you and berate your choices..... I got to the point with several of these "experts" (defined as a drip under pressure!) of asking "if you have all the answers, why are you asking me"? Also known to say "carry what ya like.... It is a free country"! They were pretty rare..... But there are some Hugh blowhards in the world!
    Last edited by 1096369fred; May 9th, 2017 at 02:13 PM.
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    When the M&P semiauto handgun was introduced back in the day, there were factory-to-dealer incentives along the lines of "sell five, get one free". Some dealers "gave" the free ones to salesmen who sold the qualifying amount. If you went to Grice Gun Shop, the M&P was the best thing since sliced bread, and all you heard at the handgun counter was a zombie-like chant of "M&P, M&P, M&P . . ."

"I'd like to buy a 22 Cricket for my kid . . . "
    "Forget the Cricket; you need an M&P, let me show you."

Could be that the 2.0 is similarly incentivized.

Noah
    No such incentives that I'm aware of.
    Infact, other than standard free one for every 5 is all I'm aware of(and that's not with everyone).
    Only incentives(for the dealer) right now that I'm aware of is offered by Ruger.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    No such incentives that I'm aware of.
    Infact, other than standard free one for every 5 is all I'm aware of(and that's not with everyone).
    Only incentives(for the dealer) right now that I'm aware of is offered by Ruger.
    It's not just the factory that offers dealer incentives.

Sometimes it's the wholesaler.

On July 24 USC is starting their online dealer "show".
    There will be all sorts of deals to be had during the time period of the "show".
    I imagine dealers will be pushing certain models to try to get their free items.

Sometimes a wholesaler will run an incentive geared right at the counterperson, where the top counterperson gets the "prize", not the shop.

It's possible this shop has a wholesaler offering a dealer incentive.

Either the salesman is a straight up fanboy or he's bucking for something free.
    (or he's just a tool "operator" who wears tactical gear out to eat...)

(Dauphin County)

Springfield has been running a promo for consumers that ends in June sometime. Buy a qualifying pistol and get 4 free mags, a belt-through mag holder, and a paddle holster that fits what you bought. The XDS the OP mentioned is one of the qualifying ones. I know because my wife's swag arrived this week for an XDS 4.0 she bought the beginning of April. She was torn between the XDS and the PPQ. When the salesperson mentioned the free swag with proof of purchase, she was sold.

(Susquehanna County)

Some people think that whatever gun they prefer is the only gun worth buying. Maybe it had something to do with the salesperson's personal preference. His intentions may have been ethical. I personally prefer the S&W but the XD's are really nice guns. The XD probably has the better trigger honestly.

(Lancaster County)

I've witnessed the opposite happen too. I worked for a small gun shop for a few months one summer and I was amazed at how many times a guy would come in with a girlfriend, wife, child, or friend and tell them "This is what you want." We would always try to work with the prospective buyer to ensure they actually find what they want. My wife has had to intervene a few times too when over-eager husbands were trying to tell their wives what they did and didn't want. I remember specifically when a man was insistent her wife buy a Glock. She held it and tried to rack the slide and didn't care for it. My wife suggested a Ruger LCR or LC9s. You could see the guy get upset, but his wife found she really liked the feel of the LCR. She bought one in .38SPL.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast