Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    They'll also kick a little lady like a mule. My FIL was trying to get a Smith Airweight snubbie for my wife. I resisted and let her try out semi-autos and we found one that's easy to shoot. She was a new shooter and recoil was a major consideration. Also, I wanted to be the one to buy her first gun. She had shot my guns and I knew what she could and could not handle.

I don't think that's a good choice for any new shooter, especially a woman.

Like most stories I've heard about them.
    I dug out a dozen various handguns a couple weeks ago for a new female shooter to try out.
    She despised the Taurus 85UL and the 686 both shooting .38 target loads.
    She preferred and did much better with the mid/full size autos.
    I only brought the revolvers because her husband insisted.

I don't now and never will understand the "little lady needs a revolver" line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I dug out a dozen various handguns a couple weeks ago for a new female shooter to try out.

I don't now and never will understand the "little lady needs a revolver" line of thinking.
    From my FIL's perspective, he wanted his daughter to "have something that you just pull the trigger and it goes bang every time". He pretends that revolvers never malfunction and thinks having a safety is going to cost your life.

Guess what, I later found out he owned ONE GUN at the time and it was a PPK, a SA pistol. He also doesn't practice (and didn't wear hearing protection the one time I did shoot with him) and rarely cleans it.. My wife knows more about firearms than him now. I made the argument that she needs something she can handle to practice with and he said "why does she need to practice?"

:doh:
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    From my FIL's perspective, he wanted his daughter to "have something that you just pull the trigger and it goes bang every time". He pretends that revolvers never malfunction and thinks having a safety is going to cost your life.

Guess what, I later found out he owned ONE GUN at the time and it was a PPK, a SA pistol. He also doesn't practice (and didn't wear hearing protection the one time I did shoot with him) and rarely cleans it.. My wife knows more about firearms than him now. I made the argument that she needs something she can handle to practice with and he said "why does she need to practice?"

:doh:
    Sounds about right.

I've had more than one revolver lock up due to bullets sliding out of the cases and into the frame where it locked it up.
    Granted these were .44's, a .500 and a .445 Supermag, but I can see it as a possibility with a lightweight framed revolver shooting +P's.

That old "revolvers always work" line really needs retired.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    If it's the shop I think it is (it's close to spring city and has a range), it's par for the course. They have a couple guys there with big opinions and bigger mouths. "Kimber guy" is hilarious - want a pocket 380? Buy a kimber 1911. Want a shotgun for skeet shooting? Buy a kimber 1911!
    They've also threatened to throw me out of the range because I'm off eye dominant and they said I was shooting with my head turned and eyes closed. I don't always shoot with my eyes closed, but when I do, I put every round in the 10 ring at @15 yards. Lol
    I think I know that place...used to be on rte 100 in coventry then rose from the ashes like a phoenix(ville)

(Delaware County)

When my wife decided to actually take a serious look at pistol shooting, I took a selection of semi-autos and revolvers. That's how I lost my Chiappa Rhino; it fit her hand perfectly with low perceived recoil when she shot .38s. On the other hand, she absolutely fell in love with the S&W model 317 (.22) revolver. That's her go to range gun. The semi autos from that first session were a Sig in 9 mm, SCCY, Keltec p 32 (which she did like, but liked the Rhino more), and S&W model 41. The not-so happy with revolvers were K-frame smiths (didn't fit her hand) and j-frame snubbies. She has since also gotten a 5-inch model 60 in .357 which she loves. Bottom line: let them try many things and make no suggestions.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Sounds about right.

I've had more than one revolver lock up due to bullets sliding out of the cases and into the frame where it locked it up.
    Granted these were .44's, a .500 and a .445 Supermag, but I can see it as a possibility with a lightweight framed revolver shooting +P's.

That old "revolvers always work" line really needs retired.
    And when a SA malfunctions, you can usually just pull the slide back and clear it. When a revolver jams, you need a gunsmith.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/rev...irearms-myths/
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Blair County)

one of the u tubers gave his mom a glock but she could not cycle it he thought of it like a fire
    extinguisher when it is empty it is empty .

(Bucks County)

this question is an exercise in psychology. A couple things I potentially see happening here.

1) Some LGS get incentives from manufacturers like Glock and S&W. when they sell a certain amount, they get a 'bonus' of some sort. be it free or cheaper guns, swag, etc.

2) maybe they're just trying to unload excess supply. be it orders from management, or by their own initiative.

3) gun culture is very masculine. A lot of men I see in LGS, employees AND customers, love to act like they know everything. Not unlike the rest of our lives. Its a very 'manly' thing to know about guns, know how to operate them, and to be better trained and more experienced than everyone else. There is a rampant air of elitism in gun shops. Everybody is an expert. Believe it or not, years behind guns, or being former/current LE or military, doesn't necessarily an expert make.

4) some guys are just dicks with poor attitude and sub-par customer service.

5) some folks are fanboys and they will push their favorite. subjectively.

6) I have also found it is very difficult to get objective information regarding firearms. See #3 and #5. Instead of telling someone "You should buy a glock. they're the best", try telling them why they're good, why they might not be right for one particular person over another, pros and cons, etc. Buying your first gun is not a 20 minute conversation to be had and settled at a gun counter, in my opinion. Unless the buyer plans on starting a collection, a lot more time, effort, thought, and questioning should go into the decision on what to buy.

I'm not usually one to comment on threads, but every once in a while, a good one pops up worth adding to. This one grabbed my attention and pulled my up on a short soap-box by the scruff of my neck.

(Berks County)

This story is the reason I tell everyone I know that is looking to purchase a gun not to go there. I have never or would never buy anything from that place. What a joke.

Smiths have magazine disconnectors..baaaad idea for a defense pistol IMHO. If you accidentally drop or even partially dislodge a magazine in a defensive situation, you are holding a gun wh will not shoot. baaad idea. It may be fine for a casual shooter or a target gun, but when you depend on a gun for your life, it had better fkn shoot every time. That is why a revolver is good, as is a 1911 .45 or a Glock or a Beretta. My 2 cents.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast