Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    358
    Rep Power
    4816619

    Post Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    Quote Originally Posted by ColtShooter View Post
    Sounds very familiar. I know of at least 2 women that got talked into Smith ultra light 38 snub DA only models cause that was what they had to have to save themselves, their families, and God knows what else they were told. We're talking relatively inexperienced shooters and physically petite. Those things are hard to shoot even if you know how to run them properly. I know who sold it to them and which local shop.

    If your friend knows what they liked and what worked, bag the shop and go elsewhere and get what works for them. The most I will ever do myself to talk people in/out of anything is to tell a newer shooter to stop looking at full size stuff or compacts or whatever and buy a nice 22 to build their skill set so they are more informed when they are ready for something bigger.
    I see no problem recommending a light 38 snub to inexperienced shooters and physically petite women, in fact when I worked in a LGS I would do that quite regularly. It's light, small, won't jam, no slide, hammer or safety to manipulate. It's a simple self defense weapon, pull the trigger and it goes bang. In fact I carry one myself.

    Otherwise I agree with what everyone is saying. Salesman have bias just like anyone else. Unfortunately some people are less willing to accept that others may have different preferences than their own.

    I will also agree that many salesman are inexperienced in some ways. It's pretty damn hard to know everything about everything. I worked in a big box store for awhile also and we had everything under the sun as far as employees went. Some were solely into tacticool stuff, others were hunters who had never owned a handgun, some guys were competition level clays shooters, then a few of us were just well rounded Honestly though it made for a good environment (I know people knock on big box stores all the time) because if you weren't really in the know about something in particular there was usually another guy on hand who was.
    Last edited by Marcus99; April 26th, 2017 at 08:15 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glockin, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    1,796
    Rep Power
    9137897

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    It's not like it's a bad gun. It's obviously a better defense tool than an XDS because of capacity, if one is ok with lugging around a full size pistol. Seems like your friend is to blame if he was looking for a single stack carry gun and ended up with a full size. It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller = easier to carry.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Indiana, Pennsylvania
    (Indiana County)
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I see no problem recommending a light 38 snub to inexperienced shooters and physically petite women, in fact when I worked in a LGS I would do that quite regularly. It's light, small, won't jam, no slide, hammer or safety to manipulate. It's a simple self defense weapon, pull the trigger and it goes bang. In fact I carry one myself.

    Otherwise I agree with what everyone is saying. Salesman have bias just like anyone else. Unfortunately some people are less willing to accept that others may have different preferences than their own.

    I will also agree that many salesman are inexperienced in some ways. It's pretty damn hard to know everything about everything. I worked in a big box store for awhile also and we had everything under the sun as far as employees went. Some were solely into tacticool stuff, others were hunters who had never owned a handgun, some guys were competition level clays shooters, then a few of us were just well rounded Honestly though it made for a good environment (I know people knock on big box stores all the time) because if you weren't really in the know about something in particular there was usually another guy on hand who was.
    Many DAO snubbies have horribly heavy triggers which might (sexist alert) be great for a man but a 100 pound woman with little hand strength will probably disagree.
    No participation trophies 'round here...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,784
    Rep Power
    20835252

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller = easier to carry.
    It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller <> easier to shoot.

    All I'm saying is *everyone* has their own considerations...

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    It doesn't take much gun expertise to realize smaller = easier to carry.
    On 2nd thought, let me come back to this. Easier to carry <> easier to deploy. My 1911 presents me with a solid whole-hand firing grip from whichever holster method I choose. Some of those small 9mm single stacks don't give me a good grip when I pick them up from the bench, let alone during a draw. For example, a Shield 9mm with extended 8-round mag *barely* gives me full purchase for my ring finger. There are many, many things that go into finding a proper carry gun...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North East PA, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,433
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Many DAO snubbies have horribly heavy triggers which might (sexist alert) be great for a man but a 100 pound woman with little hand strength will probably disagree.
    I think a light snubbie 38 is one of the worst things I've ever shot. Sights suck, recoil is severe. My wife couldn't hit anything with hers and didn't want to shoot it because it hurt her hand too much. The M & P full size is a good gun. It's big. Not the easiest gun to conceal, but I've concealed my Ruger super redhawk with a 7 1/2 barrel. Maybe the guy loved the gun or they had a bunch of them. It's not like he recommended a Hi Point.
    I heard it on the Internet, it must be true.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chester County, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    3,581
    Rep Power
    21474844

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    After handling and shooting a number of guns, my wife at the time ended up buying an S&W 642 .38 spl. This was against my advice as it wasn't for carry but for HD. We ended up taking a couple of handgun courses. She ended up borrowing one of my CZ-75's as she hated shooting the snubby.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sarver, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    When I was shopping around for a shield one guy got pissed off when I told him that another guy had it for about 50 bucks less than he did. He said smugly, "Ah, well.... Better go see him, then. He probably has one of those Kickback agreements with Smith & Wesson." I didnt buy my Shield from either one of them though. 3hrs later I won one on Gunbroker for $257 plus fees, which is absolutely the best deal I've ever seen on a 9mm Shield so far. And it's MINE.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Westtown, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    393921

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    If it's the shop I think it is (it's close to spring city and has a range), it's par for the course. They have a couple guys there with big opinions and bigger mouths. "Kimber guy" is hilarious - want a pocket 380? Buy a kimber 1911. Want a shotgun for skeet shooting? Buy a kimber 1911!
    They've also threatened to throw me out of the range because I'm off eye dominant and they said I was shooting with my head turned and eyes closed. I don't always shoot with my eyes closed, but when I do, I put every round in the 10 ring at @15 yards. Lol

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Spring City, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    12412

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    It was more like oh your friend is taller that you and you carry an XDS so immediately your opinion is wrong and I'm a former marine....... ect... So I found out my friend only put it on law away so I told him to go with one of his first choices. The Sheild or XDs 9mm and avoid him because he is just trying to make a sale.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Middle of PA, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,813
    Rep Power
    21474843

    Default Re: LGS employee pushes bad choice for concealed carry gun

    Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Many DAO snubbies have horribly heavy triggers which might (sexist alert) be great for a man but a 100 pound woman with little hand strength will probably disagree.
    They'll also kick a little lady like a mule. My FIL was trying to get a Smith Airweight snubbie for my wife. I resisted and let her try out semi-autos and we found one that's easy to shoot. She was a new shooter and recoil was a major consideration. Also, I wanted to be the one to buy her first gun. She had shot my guns and I knew what she could and could not handle.

    I don't think that's a good choice for any new shooter, especially a woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    After handling and shooting a number of guns, my wife at the time ended up buying an S&W 642 .38 spl. This was against my advice as it wasn't for carry but for HD. We ended up taking a couple of handgun courses. She ended up borrowing one of my CZ-75's as she hated shooting the snubby.
    Like most stories I've heard about them.
    The Constitution does not say that a person can yell wolf in a crowded theater.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Aftermarket triggers bad choice for concealed carry?
    By BallisticSheepDog76 in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2016, 07:32 PM
  2. Choice for a carry revolver
    By Fox from philly in forum General
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: August 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
  3. Replies: 74
    Last Post: February 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: October 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops