Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do I sight in for 300 yards?

Background:
    24" 223 Wylde fluted bull
    Federal Match Gold 77 gr Matchking BTHP
    Target is 12" steel plate at 800 yards

My scope is a Tasco 10-40X50 with 1/8" MOA. Photo of setup is attached.

Originally sighted in at 100 yds. When I reached out to 800 yds, my calculator said it would take 207 clicks, but the elevation adjustment topped out at 75 clicks. I put it back to the 100 yd sight-in point and with the help of a spotter, walked it into the target. Basically, on 18 power with the target about 1 ft from the bottom of the reticle.

The problem is that I don't want to guesstimate every time I go out, nor do I want to have to rely on a spotter being available when I have time to shoot. Plus, I'm planning to vary my distances so I get decent at rangefinding and doping the scope.

Last week I was at a Bass Pro Shops in Concord, NC. The guy behind the counter seemed pretty knowledgeable, so I explained my situation. He is 27 years LE, former SWAT sniper, and firearms instructor. His recommendation is to sight the scope in at 300 yards, and then I can dial up or back as needed. He got called away by another customer, so that's where the conversation ended.

Wouldn't the only way to sight in at 300 yds be to dial up the scope like I originally tried at 800? If that's the case, then I won't have accomplished anything.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's my first time down this path. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Please let me know if you need clarity on anything. I'm sure there's something I missed.

20170318_165037 edit.jpg
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

Default Re: How do I sight in for 300 yards?

Sight your rifle in 2" higher then your poa at 100 yards and you should be pretty close at 300 yards.

You might need to consider a better scope with 1/4 or 1/2 MOA adjustments. Primary Arms comes to mind if your within a budget.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 25th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.

Get a 20moa scope mount and/or a scope with more adjustment(30mm tube or larger). You'll be good for longer ranges, but may or may not be able to dial it back to shorter distances like 100 yards. No offense, but for shooting longer ranges you're going to want a better scope.
    Last edited by Marcus99; April 25th, 2017 at 09:36 PM.

We just had this discussion a few days ago. People need to figure out what they want their optics to do and buy the right tool for the job. I don't know anyone using a 1/8 turret.

People spend a lot of money on their firearms and they get a $30 optic and want that rig to do the impossible.

If you don't want to replace your optic...at the very least, you will need to get the muzzle velocity of your projectile, so you can figure out the drop to 800 yards.

Trying to reach 800 yards is hard enough with a 223, but when you handicap yourself with the wrong optic, it just makes it more difficult. One doesn't need 40x magnification on an optic...one just needs to buy the correct optic from the start and learn to use that optic.

I would not recommend adding a 20moa base, as your bell is big and your already using high rings on that AR15.

Thanks everyone for your responses. The scope was an extra my Dad had laying around. He said to try it, and if I don't like it, buy another one. It was the second one we tried (first was BSA), and I liked this one better.

I'll first try what Hodgie said & sight high at 100 yds. If that doesn't help me dial in quickly, I'll look for another scope. Right now, my eyesight is pretty poor, so I often need the extra power, even at 100 yds.

Again, thanks very much!
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

if you are going to be plinking at multiple ranges IMO get a range finding or mil dot scope,

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses. The scope was an extra my Dad had laying around. He said to try it, and if I don't like it, buy another one. It was the second one we tried (first was BSA), and I liked this one better.

I'll first try what Hodgie said & sight high at 100 yds. If that doesn't help me dial in quickly, I'll look for another scope. Right now, my eyesight is pretty poor, so I often need the extra power, even at 100 yds.

Again, thanks very much!
    Here is the thing, honestly all of that scope power is not helping you or your poor eyesight because the quality of the scope and glass is poor. You're putting more strain on your eyes looking through cheap glass. 40x doesn't mean anything if it's distorted, dark, blurry, and has paralax problems. As others have said the 1/8 moa adjustments on that scope probably aren't helping either, they're generally used for closer precision shooting where small adjustments are needed. I know that people swear up and down that tasco and BSA and stuff like that are good scopes(I used to be one of them), but I'm telling you they are not. Spend as much on the scope as you do on the rifle...if not more.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    We just had this discussion a few days ago. People need to figure out what they want their optics to do and buy the right tool for the job. I don't know anyone using a 1/8 turret.

People spend a lot of money on their firearms and they get a $30 optic and want that rig to do the impossible.

If you don't want to replace your optic...at the very least, you will need to get the muzzle velocity of your projectile, so you can figure out the drop to 800 yards.

Trying to reach 800 yards is hard enough with a 223, but when you handicap yourself with the wrong optic, it just makes it more difficult. One doesn't need 40x magnification on an optic...one just needs to buy the correct optic from the start and learn to use that optic.

I would not recommend adding a 20moa base, as your bell is big and your already using high rings on that AR15.
    The only people I know of that use 1/8 moa adjustments are the benchrest and F-Class guys but their scopes start at $1000 and are made by Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex and March among others. They also tailor their bases to the range they are shooting using 20, 30 & 40 MOA or custom bases.

In this case I would recommend a 20 MOA mount rather than a 20 MOA base, the mount will lift your scope higher to ensure it will clear the objective. I have a one on my AR as well and there is plenty of clearance under the 50mm objective on my Vortex.

On my AR I ran into the issue of even super high rings being too low to comfortably get my face behind the scope. Once I put it in a high mount it made it much more comfortable to look through the scope for extended periods.

For the 300 yard zero question it really depends on your scope, application and cartridge. For example I have a Vortex Razor on my long range rifle, I can only go 4 clicks below my zero stop which means that if I zeroed my rifle at 300 I couldn't dial it back to be zeroed at 100. If I had a scope without a zero stop then that wouldn't be an issue as I could keep dialing back past my zero to the required clicks. As such I zero the rifle at 100 yards and simply hold or dial at extended ranges.

In a hunting application where you only require minute of coyote a fast, flat shooting varmint cartridge such as a 40gr .223 could be fine zeroing at 300 as you would have only a couple inches high in between. You could simply hold low up close and dial for the extended shots.

(Allegheny County)

I can't even grasp how you can get the needed eye relief where that scope is mounted. Your head has to be waaaayyyy back on that stock.
    Toujours prêt

Thanks to all for your input. It's still a work in progress: 1. 15" handguard when I can afford it, 2. replace 4 lb trigger with 3 lb, and 3. add a BulzEyePro optical booster.

However, based on input from everyone, I replaced the Tasco with a Vortex and added a Leupold 20 MOA mount. Per Hodgie, will be sighting in high at 100 until I can get the bench moved to 300 for actual sight-in. And based on a recommendation from a pro shooter, I'm going to move to 80 gr MatchKings in my next iteration.

Anyway, here's the updated photo, and thanks again for all your help.
    workinprogress.jpg
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast