Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do I sight in for 300 yards?

77 grain IMI razor core ammo is good too. Midway just had a nice sale on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    77 grain IMI razor core ammo is good too. Midway just had a nice sale on it.
    Wow! That's a great price. Looks like Midway is selling the Federal Gold 77 in 223 for $23.99/box. I paid $20.99 at Target Sports USA, so for the IMI to be $15-$16 depending on 223 or 5.56 is really good. Thanks for the heads-up.

Is it accurate and consistent? The reviews on Midway for the IMI 5.56 version look very positive at 4.8. I see that IMI recommends 1:7 twist, but there are several reviews stating they shoot through a 1:8 with high accuracy. Mine is a 1:8 but maybe the 24" barrel will help make up for the twist rate.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

a friend of mine had success with it. i just bought 1K rounds of it and will test it out at a training course in a couple of weeks.

(Lackawanna County)

Could sight in at I think 37 yards to simulate a 300 yard zero. I cannot remember exactly what it is but it's a number in the 30s

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Could sight in at I think 37 yards to simulate a 300 yard zero. I cannot remember exactly what it is but it's a number in the 30s
    Thanks for this. I used the Vortex Long Range Ballistic Calculator. Set the zero to 300 yards with the exact bullet info, which indicated to shoot 4.52" high at 100 yds. Sighted it in today and consistently hitting 4.5" high. Can't wait to get back out to 800 yds. and other various ranges.

But I think (I'm new to this - bringing me back to mathematics, etc.) you might be right about 37 yds. The folks who installed the mount and scope sighted @ 25 yds. My Dad (very, very good at old-school bore sighting, even at 100 yds.) said we would be more than 2 feet high with the current bore sight. He was right within 3.5", so we adjusted and each 2 group shots thereafter were 1/4" MOA. Gotta love my Dad with his terrific eyesight and boresighting skills...
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    Wow! That's a great price. Looks like Midway is selling the Federal Gold 77 in 223 for $23.99/box. I paid $20.99 at Target Sports USA, so for the IMI to be $15-$16 depending on 223 or 5.56 is really good. Thanks for the heads-up.

Is it accurate and consistent? The reviews on Midway for the IMI 5.56 version look very positive at 4.8. I see that IMI recommends 1:7 twist, but there are several reviews stating they shoot through a 1:8 with high accuracy. Mine is a 1:8 but maybe the 24" barrel will help make up for the twist rate.
    I have had very good luck with the razor core. Out of my MK12 clone, out to 300 yds, it shoots the same poa/poi as the more expensive Black Hills Mk262. I use the IMI almost exclusively now.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for your input. Many changes since the first post. Got a 20 MOA scope mount and a Vortext Crossfire II. Been using IMI Razor Core 77 with great success (and much less out of pocket!)

From one pro shooter's PM, I have Federal 80 gr SMK on order to try. Was a little reserved about shooting that through a 1:8 twist, but it can't hurt to try.

Incidentally, the cheek riser is more for keeping my pulse away from the stock, and has styrofoam under the left flap.

Attached are 3 photos: current look of the rifle, 100 yd group, 300 yd group. Same day I shot the 300 yd group, I had 3 2-in-1 holers - 2 at 100 yds and 1 at 300. The third of each 3-shot group was me shooting too fast (less than 60 seconds each) and, well, that's mostly it. I'm impatient.

Next up is to get to 500 yds, then I'm going to 800 again. One step at a time.

Thanks again!

full monte.jpg100 yd sub moa.jpg300 yds sub moa.jpg
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Somerset County)

Seems like you are getting things figured out. Nice shooting! I would recommend trying 5 or even 10 shot groups for a real representation of what the guns accuracy is

Quote Originally Posted by Everready73 View Post
    Seems like you are getting things figured out. Nice shooting! I would recommend trying 5 or even 10 shot groups for a real representation of what the guns accuracy is
    That's a great suggestion and I appreciate it. I thought about 5-shot groups to start, but I'm wondering if going down that path would halt the long distance thing or vice versa. Periodically, it's cool to go out to distance then come back to 100 or 300 yards for groups.

Any thoughts? This is my first time down this path.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcarrier View Post
    That's a great suggestion and I appreciate it. I thought about 5-shot groups to start, but I'm wondering if going down that path would halt the long distance thing or vice versa. Periodically, it's cool to go out to distance then come back to 100 or 300 yards for groups.

Any thoughts? This is my first time down this path.
    Everready73 isn't saying to only shooting 5 or 10 shot groups at 100yds, what he is saying is to shoot one or two 5 or 10 shot groups just as a judge of accuracy and confirmation of zero for your rifle. Three shot groups can lie about the accuracy of the system, I've tested loads that shot 1.5" groups one day that had three touching the day before. The more rounds you put into a group the better representation of your rifle you get.

For example say you shoot four 3 shot groups and everyone of of your groups is 1/4". Based on that information you could say you have a 0.25 MOA rifle. However if you lay the four targets over each other suddenly the 12 shot group opens up to over an inch.

Below is a link that better explains what I was referencing above
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...fle-precision/

I have a long range shooting class that I am going to in a couple weeks so I have been checking my hand loads and confirming my zero. The last three range trips the groups were the same size at the same zero which lets me know my system is consistent. Once you start pushing out 500+ with a .223 it is best to remove as many variables as possible so you can focus on the real reasons why your bullets did or did not hit the target.

I should know, i fell into that trap last year when I tried to hit a 0.5 MOA target at 600 yds. Even though I had shot some 3 round groups that were less than 0.5 MOA I was barely getting 0.75 MOA overall accuracy out of the whole system. It leads to nothing but frustration so it's best to know the limitations of your system before trying to stretch the distance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast