Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Rem 700 started shooting over a foot to the right

My Rem 700 started shooting about a foot and a half to the right at 100 yards last time I had it out. This rifle has been rock solid for years and I have it out about once a month. The only thing I did between shoots was clean it. I didn’t drop it, it travels in a padded hard case, and is stored in a safe.

I checked and the rings on the scope are tight. I’m thinking I need to pull the scope off and check the scope mounts, but I wanted to see what you all thought before I did that.

I re-zeroed the scope and it held the zero for 10 rounds or so. It’s a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope with Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, and weaver mounts.

The crown looks good as far as I can tell. I use a threaded suppressor as well, but it makes no difference with the can on or off (minus the usual shift). Besides checking the scope mounts, can you think of anything else this could be?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rem 700 started shooting over a foot to the right

It's the scope. If you re-zeroed and it only held for 10 rounds it has to be the scope.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    My Rem 700 started shooting about a foot and a half to the right at 100 yards last time I had it out. This rifle has been rock solid for years and I have it out about once a month. The only thing I did between shoots was clean it. I didn’t drop it, it travels in a padded hard case, and is stored in a safe.

I checked and the rings on the scope are tight. I’m thinking I need to pull the scope off and check the scope mounts, but I wanted to see what you all thought before I did that.

I re-zeroed the scope and it held the zero for 10 rounds or so. It’s a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 scope with Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, and weaver mounts.

The crown looks good as far as I can tell. I use a threaded suppressor as well, but it makes no difference with the can on or off (minus the usual shift). Besides checking the scope mounts, can you think of anything else this could be?
    Same thing happened to my 17hmr after I cleaned it. Before I cleaned it, the gun would hit the primers of a shot shell at 90yrds all day long.
    After I cleaned it, it couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. It too a lot of rounds to get it somewhat accurate again.

I left it at that. It needs more fouling to get it back to normal.

I'll never clean the barrel again. Not even a boresnake.

(Northampton County)

The zero held. I only had time for 10 that afternoon.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Same thing happened to my 17hmr after I cleaned it. Before I cleaned it, the gun would hit the primers of a shot shell at 90yrds all day long.
    After I cleaned it, it couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. It too a lot of rounds to get it somewhat accurate again.

I left it at that. It needs more fouling to get it back to normal.

I'll never clean the barrel again. Not even a boresnake.
    Was it off by a foot? I don't brush it, just #9 with a patch.

(Elk County)

Always check the action (triggerguard) screws, and tighten the front one first.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Was it off by a foot? I don't brush it, just #9 with a patch.
    Close. It was bad enough that I thought someone messed with my scope.
    After 50 or so rnds it started to get better. I used a boresnake, thats all.

I had a custom made 50cal bench gun that did the same thing. But like an idiot,
    I'd clean it after every shoot.

(Allegheny County)

The zero held. I only had time for 10 that afternoon.
    Sorry, It read to me as if it lost zero again after 10 or so shots.

Just in the past 2 weeks I had a similar issue. My AR and scope combo where dead on last season. Stored in a safe for the winter. I brought it out this season and was grouping 1.5 MOA to the right (elevation was good). I adjusted the windage 3 clicks (1/2 MOA per click) left and fired another 10 rounds, it moved the impacts about 3/4 MOA, I move it another 3 clicks left and fired 10 more rounds, it moved it about 1/2 MOA.
    So, I started with it being 1.5 MOA right and added 3 MOA and it was still shooting at least 1/2 MOA right. I called it a day thinking it was me. I went home and checked the scope rings and mounts for tightness and sure enough the screws on the rings had loosen. I re-torqued them and took it out yesterday and was shooting now 3 MOA to the left! I took off the 3 MOA left windage that I had put on last trip and it was now shooting POA = POI again.
    Last edited by Hawk; May 1st, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

A loose scope mount or rings (or reticle) can often be detected on the bench by firmly supporting the rifle on bags or bipod so it absolutely does not move, then dry-fire it while concentrating on the crosshairs/target super-imposed image. If anything is wrong, the crosshairs will twitch and change juxtaposition.

Are you using factory ammo or reloads? If reloads, who reloaded the ammo...you or someone else? If reloaded ammo, what powder was used? Some powders are temperature sensitive, so what temps were you shooting?

Another thing you can do is take yourself out of the equation an allow someone you know that is a good shooter (I'm not saying your a bad shooter...it often helps to see if the same thing is happening with someone else).

The Nikon should be alright, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap optics just to see what happens. If using reloads...try getting a box of premium factory ammo to see what it will do compared to reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast