Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Looking for a new rifle.....

Hi guys, this is my 2nd post here. I have been away from the gun world for quite a while & want to buy my 1st rifle in a LONG time. I'm looking for suggestions. I don't play video games so please don't reference anything for a game. I'm looking to spend between $1000 & $1500 maybe a little more. I currently own 1 Taurus 669 that I bought in 1993 & 1 Chinese SKS. I don't know what's out there or any good shops to visit for that matter. What do you guys suggest to a guy that's been away from the shooting sports for a while.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Looking for a new rifle.....

You can get your self a decent AR15 for the $500 range then use the rest of the money to buy ammo and tacticool it up!!

(Washington County)

For that price you can get plenty of nice rifles. You looking for something of an AR platform or no? Want something with history?

Leaves a lot of room.

(Indiana County)

Too vague.

Milsurp, hunting, target, home defense, investment or a combination of these?
    Semiauto, pump, breakopen or bolt?
    Smaller caliber like .223, .280, something in .30 or other?
    Will you be buying ammo or planning on reloading?

(Bucks County)

If a Taurus revolver and an SKS are your only firearms I would not just get ONE $1500 rifle.

Get a basic AR for ~$400, a USED .22 for ~$200 and a USED bolt action rifle in .30 cal in the $500 range. Then another $200+ in optics for the bolt action scope.

You will have some money left over for ammo and you will be covered for just about everything.

I agree your post is too vague. You can buy tons of rifles at that price range and below.

- Do you want a military surplus rifle? Do you want a bolt action rifle? Do you want a semi auto rifle? Do you want a break action rifle? Do you want a lever action rifle?

- What caliber are you considering? .223/5.56, 7.62x39, 7mm, 30-30, 7.62x54R, etc...?

- What is the intended purpose? Hunting, target shooting (Plinking), competition?

OK sorry for being vague
    I'm looking for a plinker, I don't hunt, don't plan to either.
    I want something semi-auto that is fun & accurate to take to a range. Although the K-31 rifles speak to me.
    After looking around on the web last night I would LOVE to have a nice M1 Garand but the prices seem very high to me, I don't know though, can one be had for under $800?
    I might look into buying a used AR 15 & a used AK 47 or 74. Those GSG 5's look SUPER COOL & fun.
    So does this give you guys an idea of what I like & would use it for?

(Washington County)

You might get better suggestions if you specify your intended purpose for this rifle.

(Washington County)

9mm AR's would be pretty cheap to shoot and are a blast. There's the CZ scorpion I've been eyeing up. Those are around $900 and look like fun as well and are getting popular. Those are good suggestions I think for plinking around.

(Allegheny County)

+1 on a AR. When you get bored with it you can always start modifying/dressing it up. You can plink with it, you can run and gun with it, you can compete with it, you can shoot it from the bench or the ground or off-hand. You can add a scope and shoot it accurately out to and beyond 300 yards. You can buy various uppers for it, stocks, and even a .22 conversion kit. They are comfortable to shoot (recoil and grip angle), easy to maintain, and reliable as hell.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast