Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for a new rifle.....

Hi guys, this is my 2nd post here. I have been away from the gun world for quite a while & want to buy my 1st rifle in a LONG time. I'm looking for suggestions. I don't play video games so please don't reference anything for a game. I'm looking to spend between $1000 & $1500 maybe a little more. I currently own 1 Taurus 669 that I bought in 1993 & 1 Chinese SKS. I don't know what's out there or any good shops to visit for that matter. What do you guys suggest to a guy that's been away from the shooting sports for a while.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Looking for a new rifle.....

You can get your self a decent AR15 for the $500 range then use the rest of the money to buy ammo and tacticool it up!!

(Washington County)

For that price you can get plenty of nice rifles. You looking for something of an AR platform or no? Want something with history?

Leaves a lot of room.

(Washington County)

You might get better suggestions if you specify your intended purpose for this rifle.

(Indiana County)

Too vague.

Milsurp, hunting, target, home defense, investment or a combination of these?
    Semiauto, pump, breakopen or bolt?
    Smaller caliber like .223, .280, something in .30 or other?
    Will you be buying ammo or planning on reloading?

(Bucks County)

If a Taurus revolver and an SKS are your only firearms I would not just get ONE $1500 rifle.

Get a basic AR for ~$400, a USED .22 for ~$200 and a USED bolt action rifle in .30 cal in the $500 range. Then another $200+ in optics for the bolt action scope.

You will have some money left over for ammo and you will be covered for just about everything.

I agree your post is too vague. You can buy tons of rifles at that price range and below.

- Do you want a military surplus rifle? Do you want a bolt action rifle? Do you want a semi auto rifle? Do you want a break action rifle? Do you want a lever action rifle?

- What caliber are you considering? .223/5.56, 7.62x39, 7mm, 30-30, 7.62x54R, etc...?

- What is the intended purpose? Hunting, target shooting (Plinking), competition?

OK sorry for being vague
    I'm looking for a plinker, I don't hunt, don't plan to either.
    I want something semi-auto that is fun & accurate to take to a range. Although the K-31 rifles speak to me.
    After looking around on the web last night I would LOVE to have a nice M1 Garand but the prices seem very high to me, I don't know though, can one be had for under $800?
    I might look into buying a used AR 15 & a used AK 47 or 74. Those GSG 5's look SUPER COOL & fun.
    So does this give you guys an idea of what I like & would use it for?

(Chester County)

From what I think I'm hearing, you'd be better off with 2 - AR15s or 2 - AK47s, ammo is cheap for both platforms, so plenty of range time. And, being completely familiar with your rifle's manual of arms has distinct advantages. Remember, 2 is 1, and 1 is none. You can also find bolt action rifles in .223 Rem. and 7.62x39 so a semi and a bolt + glass is an option.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    OK sorry for being vague
    I'm looking for a plinker, I don't hunt, don't plan to either.
    I want something semi-auto that is fun & accurate to take to a range. Although the K-31 rifles speak to me.
    After looking around on the web last night I would LOVE to have a nice M1 Garand but the prices seem very high to me, I don't know though, can one be had for under $800?
    I might look into buying a used AR 15 & a used AK 47 or 74. Those GSG 5's look SUPER COOL & fun.
    So does this give you guys an idea of what I like & would use it for?
    You might be able to get a Garand for under $800 when the CMP starts selling their Philippines returns. I've never heard a battle rifle referred to as a "plinker", though, since plinking with .30-06 or .308 gets pretty expensive.

For plinking, you can't beat the prices for AR's right now. A pistol-caliber carbine would be even better. Personally, I'd like to get a Sub-2000 for plinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast