Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Leather or Kydex Which one you like for a holster

I'm old school. And started carrying when all holsters were leather and came with a retention strap. Hard to find one without, and back then you wouldn't think of carrying without a retention strap. But times change. I'm now carrying in a kydex holster without a retention strap. But I'm considering going to an OWB holster. And but still want to carry concealed. Does leather "rub" the finish off your gun more so than kydex? How are they compared to each other for comfort? Been a long time since I picked up a leather holster. Wondering what you all think about them.

My question is this. Do you like / prefer a good leather holster or a kydex holster? What do you feel are the advantages to what you chose? Which holsters are you using?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Default Re: Leather or Kydex Which one you like for a holster

I have a crap ton of holsters the majority of which are kydex, my only leather are vintage collectibles that go with the pistols. I think it all depends on the quality of the holster you are using as well as it's intended use. Just for basic every day carry either one will due as long as it's made right, offers good retention, and concealability if that's your intended use. If a thumb break is a must then leather is going to be the easier to find option since there are only a few kydex molders who offer that option.

For times when your hitting the trials, or field and your going to be out in the elements for long periods of time I personally think Kydex is superior. While it's not as pretty or ornate as it's leather counter parts it wont hold moisture which will eventually damage your pistol and wont break down over time. I mentioned Bravo Concealment in your other thread about OWB carry. I have never come across a more streamlined OWB concealment holster in leather then they make in Kydex. I am not saying they do not exist but I don't think your going to find them on the local shelves of the big box stores.

Nastilgia is always great but so is finding something that just works better for one's intended use.

(Berks County)

I have a few really nice Galco leather holsters for my revolvers but all of my CC autos are either Kydex or Kydex/leather hybrids . Crossbreed make some nice OWB and IWB hybrids.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Lycoming County)

Once I made the switch to kydex I didn't look back. Much easier to draw from and still have solid retention of the gun. Leather is by far prettier, but a good kydex holster is really better for actual use imho.

(Delaware County)

1. I carry IWB 99.99%, so I can't address the OWB part.

2. There are many more retention methods/mechanisms than just a leather thumb break. Google is your friend.

3. Kydex is less likely to hold moisture against the gun than any soft material.

4. Kydex *will* cause wear to the gun's finish, likely more than leather will. Unless it's a BBQ gun (which isn't carried enough to wear), so what? It's a carry gun - carry guns wear...

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

(Jefferson County)

I prefer leather, pancake style for normal carry. However, for fishing, boating, or doing anything around water I'll opt for kydex or cordora.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Leather
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Armstrong County)

My preference is:

1. Hybrid. (I.e. crossbreed)

2. Hybrid

3. Kydex

4. All leather

Leather. A lot quieter.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Franklin County)

I've got Kydex and leather OWB holsters for my revolvers and semi-autos. My leather holster squeaks and the Kydex is quiet. The leather holds the gun closer to me but the Kydex is thinner, especially since I like straps for leather and the Kydex has no straps.
    The Hostler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast