Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Leather or Kydex Which one you like for a holster

I have both plus nylon.

The Kydex is easiest to put on. The leather looks more dressy. The nylon goes inside the pocket. Each has its place and time.

(Mercer County)

Leather for my classic and my only plastic guns (G29s). Won't put a classic firearm in a plastic holster, but if twist my arm I'll put the plastic gun in a plastic holster
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

I started with a leather OWB pancake with a retention band. I carried my Kahr K40 in it. It was fairly snug but you could sit and bump the gun out of the holster because the muzzle came through and was exposed.

I also had a kydex paddle holster from Fobus years ago for my Makarov and liked it for the ease and the click in retention.

A few years back I decided to make the holster I was looking for and think I have been successful. It is kydex and has leather (suede) backing which really helps with comfort against the body and movement within the pants. It is a minimalist design and gives me the things I'm looking for which are ease of concealment, ease of draw, comfort, and retention.

I picked up a new Glock 26 gen 4 last week and have already made the holster for it. I haven't even shot it yet. It's very comfortable, easy to conceal. Easy to draw from and has good retention.

I buy my materials from DIY Holsters which are rivets, rivet tool, and kydex sheet. I get the suede from Michaels. I use contact cement for gluing the suede on and a razor knife to trim. The kydex is easy to cut with a dremel tool or score and cut with a razor knife. I made my own press with two pieces of plywood and some excercise mat foam. I heat up the kydex in an old free toaster oven I have at my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Delaware County)

I like kydex and do not own a leather holster. For every day wear think kydex would hold up better in he long run. Less maintenance and more resistant against scratching and wear.

If I ever buy a classic big bore magnum revolver I would likely buy a nice leather holster to compliment it for use as a B-B-Q gun.

I also have a couple uncle mikes nylon holsters for guns I do not carry much. I carry a .22 sa revolver in one when I hunt with it.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

I'm an old fart. I think there's nothing like fine gun leather & I have a few nice ones for my 1911s & one of my Sigs. Still, there's something to be said for the practicality of kydex holsters. I have Raven Concealment Phantoms for the Glocks, HK & even one for the 1911s.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123