Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Re: 10.5" or 16"+ 300 BlackOut Upper 1/7 or 1/8 Twist?

Im with the above "300Blk over 10.5 is a waste" crowd.
    But IF you must go with a 16" stick, get one with pistol length gas.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Well I believe the topic was about AR pistols/SBRs chambered in 300 blackout...... Not bolt guns. It kinda makes a difference, unless Ruger started making the American Ranch as a pistol, with a Sig brace?

Unless you are the oddest person in the world and SBRed a bolt gun.
    Reread the OPs first post He happened to mention a Colt 6920 utilizing a 16+ upper.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Reread the OPs first post He happened to mention a Colt 6920 utilizing a 16+ upper.
    I think you are missing my point, and are just looking for any mistake to point out.... Let me take a more direct approach.

In 300 blackout, a bolt action rifle with a 16" barrel makes sense, as you mentioned. This is because you can't go any shorter, without making an SBR. Making your example of the Ruger Ranch with a 16" barrel essentially an apples to oranges comparison. It is borderline irrelevant. This is because there are not pistol bolt action firearms, so one can not easily put a <16" barrel on a bolt action.

The idea of putting a 16" barrel, in 300 blackout, especially when the OP already has a pistol lower, is fairly strange, in my opinion. I honestly can't think of a reason on why someone would elect to use a 16" barrel in 300 BO, when they already have a pistol lower, other than you reason of your Ruger Ranch holding 1.5 MOA with a 3-9 power scop (which quite honestly I'm failing to see the relevance).

(Centre County)

In the OP's first post he mentioned putting it on a pistol OR a rifle (and as such would require a 16" barrel) and you did not qualify your response when you out of hand said no to a 16" barrel. I agree that for a PISTOL a 10.5" barrel in 300 BO is the max I would go, but if he is thinking about a RIFLE, then a 16" 300 BO barrel on a 6920 lower should make a good shooting rifle, thus the qualifying accuracy I listed with the equipment I posted. There is no reason that an AR in 300 BO couldn't do that.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I can see a lot of reasons for a person electing to use a 16" barreled 300 BO.

Oh, and BTW, there are actually bolt action handguns that are not custom builds, just not one in 300 BO (that I know of)

(Lebanon County)

i thought the whole selling point of 300 was how well it suppressed in shorter barrels?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    i thought the whole selling point of 300 was how well it suppressed in shorter barrels?
    That was true at first but then people discovered that with the right platform and twist rate, it could be a very good hunting caliber, especially when it was suppressed. Just like a lot of calibers, they start out to fill a certain niche, then people start experimenting and "Eureka", they find a completely new use for that caliber. That's why firearms manufactures are now making bolt and MSR rifles in the 300 BO, they see a need/use for it (and would they make it if they didn't think they could sell it and make a profit?). Personally, where I hunt in PA, a suppressed 300 BO is great for whitetails and it will save some of the hearing I have left (and when the PGC gets its head of of its ass and allows MSR's for big game, that would be a plus for a lot of people). A 300 BO in a 16" suppressed barrel is extremely quiet. Even if you go with a lighter bullet and go supersonic, you hear the crack but the muzzle blast is still quite easy on the ears and if you wear plugs or muffs, the shooter will hear almost nothing.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; April 22nd, 2017 at 04:49 PM.

(Armstrong County)

In the OP's first post he mentioned putting it on a pistol OR a rifle (and as such would require a 16" barrel) and you did not qualify your response when you out of hand said no to a 16" barrel. I agree that for a PISTOL a 10.5" barrel in 300 BO is the max I would go, but if he is thinking about a RIFLE, then a 16" 300 BO barrel on a 6920 lower should make a good shooting rifle, thus the qualifying accuracy I listed with the equipment I posted. There is no reason that an AR in 300 BO couldn't do that.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I can see a lot of reasons for a person electing to use a 16" barreled 300 BO.

Oh, and BTW, there are actually bolt action handguns that are not custom builds, just not one in 300 BO (that I know of)
    I have no problem validating me points.

Reasons to go with a shorter barrel:
    1) the 300 blackout cartridge was designed around a short barrel.

2)lighter and more manueverable

3)it flat out looks cool

4)putting a silencer on the end of it, and it's still a manageable over all length

5)thy are just as accurate as their 16" barrels (it's a proven fact that longer barrel lengths do not equate more accuracy. They increase muzzle velocity, which more times than not means more accuracy. But back to my first post, why would you want to increase the velocity of a subsonic bullet? So that way it goes supersonic, this negating the whole reason on shooting subsonic?

6)even if one wanted to argue #5, there are a numerous barrel manufactorers who give the "one moa promise". I know if I do my part, my $100 ballistics advantage 10" barrel does sub moa accuracy, with Remington 220 be, using an aimpoint h1, with no magnification. If someone is looking to get better than 1 moa accuracy, I don't think an AR in 300 blackout is the most optimal platform

I can only think of two reasons NOT to go short.

1) you don't have a pistol lower, and don't want to bother getting another lower (not in the OPs situation, because he/she already has a pistol lower)

2)you were doing some competitive shoot and you could only use iron sights, and you wanted to take advantage of the increased distance between your front and rear iron sights that a longer barrel offers.

Could you please inform me of any other reasonable reasons on why one would get a 16" barrel on an AR when they already have a pistol lower, in 300 blackout?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I have no problem validating me points.

Reasons to go with a shorter barrel:
    1) the 300 blackout cartridge was designed around a short barrel.
    I already conceded that point, but some firearms manufacturers seem to have found that it makes a good rifle round also

2)lighter and more maneuverable
    For doing what exactly? Clearing bad guys from your house? Oh, I'm sorry, it is great for operators who operate operationally

3)it flat out looks cool
    Huh?, it's a barrel. It looks pretty much like any barrel on an AR pistol, unsuppressed or suppressed. (IMO)

4)putting a silencer on the end of it, and it's still a manageable over all length
    I'll concede that point to you

5)thy are just as accurate as their 16" barrels (it's a proven fact that longer barrel lengths do not equate more accuracy. They increase muzzle velocity, which more times than not means more accuracy. But back to my first post, why would you want to increase the velocity of a subsonic bullet? So that way it goes supersonic, this negating the whole reason on shooting subsonic?
    Proven fact?, Cite me the proof. Also, just because it is a longer barrel, that doesn't always mean that a subsonic round will go supersonic just because you added 5 to 6 inches to the barrel length. Remington 220's have not given me any supersonic crack when fired from my Ruger (although I will concede that I have not yet chronographed them to see what they actually do)

6)even if one wanted to argue #5, there are a numerous barrel manufactorers who give the "one moa promise". I know if I do my part, my $100 ballistics advantage 10" barrel does sub moa accuracy, with Remington 220 be, using an aimpoint h1, with no magnification. If someone is looking to get better than 1 moa accuracy, I don't think an AR in 300 blackout is the most optimal platform
    So you're saying ("I know if I do my part") that YOU can shoot (not what the barrel is capable of doing when there are no outside influences acting on the barrel) 1" or less groups with your handgun, without a magnified scope at 100yds (BTW 1moa is 1.047"@100yds). If you can do that, you should be on the professional shooting tour making big money

I can only think of two reasons NOT to go short.

1) you don't have a pistol lower, and don't want to bother getting another lower (not in the OPs situation, because he/she already has a pistol lower)

2)you were doing some competitive shoot and you could only use iron sights, and you wanted to take advantage of the increased distance between your front and rear iron sights that a longer barrel offers.

Could you please inform me of any other reasonable reasons on why one would get a 16" barrel on an AR when they already have a pistol lower, in 300 blackout?
    Uhh, maybe they want a 300 Blackout rifle on an AR platform?

Ok, you win, you can tell all your friends that you bested the old guy and have all the answers to anything that deals with the 300 Black Out. I'll now refer any questions my customers have about this round to you as you have clearly shown your superior intellect on this subject. Thank you for the conversation.

TO THE OP, I am sorry to have derailed your thread, please accept my apology and I will retire from this thread so it can get back on course.

(Armstrong County)

Ok, you win, you can tell all your friends that you bested the old guy and have all the answers to anything that deals with the 300 Black Out. I'll now refer any questions my customers have about this round to you as you have clearly shown your superior intellect on this subject. Thank you for the conversation.

TO THE OP, I am sorry to have derailed your thread, please accept my apology and I will retire from this thread so it can get back on course.
    2. 3 gun. Hunting. As a home defense weapon. Some people don't just stick to shooting benches. I realize that's odd, but ok

3. apparently the humor in that reason kind of just went over your head

4. a. I thought that was a well known fact, but I simply just googled "does a longer barrel improve accuracy" and this was the first link to pop up. http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-and-accuracy/ You can dig through that data or any of the million other tests.
    b. does a longer barrel mean that it will go super sonic? no. I don't think I ever said that. will it cause it to be more likely? yes. you are kind of over exaggerating what I said there. longer barrels increase bullet velocity. that's a fact. how much a, for instance 16 barrel will increase it over a 9" barrel is not engraved in a rock somewhere. It varies. I can already tell you that every now and then I get a factory subsonic 220 grain out of my 10" barrel, goes supersonic. For the sake of putting a number to it, let's say 1 out of every 100 rounds goes super. Statistically speaking, that number would increase with a 16 barrel. That doesn't mean that 100 out of every 100 will go super. but I would not be surprised if it increased. Unless you found an ammo manufacturer who is a zero tolerance on their q&a. Hell, I got a box of sig subsonics, and all 20 of them went super.

6. well not with my handgun, with my rifle. yes. it isn't every time, but the last time I zero'ed 300 blackout upper, it held a sub-moa group, and when I'm on a bench, it usually does. I am not a professional. Hell, I do not think I'm even that good of a shot.

I apologize that you feel offended by me trying to engage you in a conversation. I don't know why you are getting bent out of shape. You have an opinion. I have a different one. I'm simply asking you what your reasons are behind yours, maybe I can learn something new.... maybe I can show you something new. Sorry for thinking that you would want to have a discussion, on a discussion forum.

and I don't think we derailed the thread at all.... we are still discussing the topic the OP asked about. well at least trying to.

What it comes down to me is this.

1. I want something new.

2. I want to be able to distinguish between my 8.5" 5.56/.223 pistol upper. So I don't grab the wrong one by accident and then am SOL at the range.

3. I will never be suppressing anything. Just isn't in the cards for me. So unless 2" of barrel is going to make or break accuracy, etc... I'll got with 10.5" then.

4. I was asking about a 16" again for something different. If there is no point in it then there is no point in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast