Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default is a revolver a good choice for a first time gun owner?

and what make and model should I go with?

Default Re: is a revolver a good choice for a first time gun owner?

Sure if you like revolvers, if you like semi autos then check those out as well.

As far as what to get it depends on what your intent is for the gun. Check out the offerings from Ruger GP100 and S&W 686 in a 3-4" barrel for home defense and range fun. If you looking to carry a revolver I would check out the Ruger LCR series of revolvers.

My short answer is yes. That being said, it really depends on what you're using it for and what features are important to you. If you're unfamiliar with guns I highly suggest that you take a course to familiarize yourself with firearms safety. If possible go to a range that rents guns and try out some different ones to get a feel for what you like before making a purchase.

(Perry County)

For simplicity and safety, revolvers are good for first firearms. Many times we've heard of people, not knowing how their firearm works, dropping the magazine and believing the gun is now unloaded--with tragic consequences. A revolver is loaded if there are live rounds in the cylinder.

Given the revolver has an external hammer, you can see the mechanism at work, squeezing the trigger rotates the cylinder and causes the hammer to travel rearward. When the hammer and sear disengage, the hammer falls. Cocking the hammer rotates the cylinder and gives the shooter a single action (lighter) trigger pull.

As stated, both Ruger and S&W make quality revolvers. Stay away from Taurus as they have timing issues more frequently than the others.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lehigh County)

Revolvers are actually good for beginners because they have a simple 'manual of arms' and are easy to learn to handle safely. Hodgie pointed out some good choices in his comment. You should check out some different models and grips to see what feels good in your hand.

Without knowing more about why you want a gun and what you want to do, it is hard to make a more specific suggestion, as to caliber choice etc. Generally if you want one for home defense a 357 revolver is an excellent choice and you can shoot 38 specials for cheap practice. If you just want to shoot, for the sake of shooting a 22 is easy and cheaper to shoot.

Keep on asking questions. When you start getting the same answer over and over again, you are approaching the truth.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Armstrong County)

My father in law is pretty dumb. Like really really dumb. And even he can operate a semi-automatic pistol.

Anyone who tells you that you need to get a revolver because it's "easier to learn" is insulting your intelligence.

That being said there is nothing wrong with revolvers. If they interest you, look into getting one. If a semi-automatic interests you, get that. If you are iffy, then hit up your local gun store and ask to hold one of each and see if that helps you decide.

But don't base your decision and reasons such as "one is safer than the other," "one is easier to operate than the other," "one is for beginners," etc.

Is one a little more involved than the other? Yes. But 3 + 1 is more complicated than 1 + 1. That doesn't mean you need a calculus class to solve 3 + 1

Is one safer than the other? They both shoot bullets at speeds that can kill a person. They should both be treated with respect.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You SERIOUSLY need to come to the group shoot on Saturday! We'll be BS'ing, eating lots of bacon, and shooting a big pile of guns. It's a nice, laid-back event. We'd be more than happy to answer any questions and let you try out a wide range of pistols. I guarantee you'll have a good time, and you'll learn way more than you ever will in this thread.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316384

(Schuylkill County)

My first gun was a Smith & Wesson revolver model 17 in .22 LR
    It was not intended for carry since I lived in NJ at the time, but it is the one I used to demonstrate proficiency for the NRA handgun safety course prior to getting my nonresident Florida carry permit.

A 4" revolver in either 22lr or 38 special would be an excellent choice to learn to shoot and get into the sport.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    You SERIOUSLY need to come to the group shoot on Saturday! We'll be BS'ing, eating lots of bacon, and shooting a big pile of guns. It's a nice, laid-back event. We'd be more than happy to answer any questions and let you try out a wide range of pistols. I guarantee you'll have a good time, and you'll learn way more than you ever will in this thread.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316384
    I highly recommend this...

I will have both a .22 revolver, and a .22 semi auto handgun with me (and a bunch of other guns), so you can figure out what's best for you. Don't worry about ammo (at least, as far as shooting my guns go). Just come with an open mind, and be ready to learn, and more importantly, be ready to have a good time. I would love to make sure that you get to start off on the right foot as a first time gun owner. There'll be a lot of knowledgeable, friendly guys there with lots of guns.

(If you're wondering, the .22 handguns I'll be bringing are a Dan Wesson 22 8" revolver (with 6" barrel option), and a Walther PPQ M2 .22. Will be bringing a lot of HK semi auto handguns as far as full sized handguns go)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast