Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Favorite Hunting Rifle

With summer coming up and the days now being long enough to hit the range after work I will begin my yearly load work ups for hunting season. In the spirit of this preparation I figured I would start a thread to see what everyone's go to rifle was for hunting whether the quarry be deer, squirrel, coyote, bear, steel or anything else you can hunt with a rifle.

My personal favorite for deer hunting the past couple years has been a Pre-War Model 70 in 30-06 with a Wide Field Redfield scope. Carries well in the field, hits the 1" bulls-eye first shot when we check the rifles before opening day and has allowed me to take a doe on the first Saturday each year for the freezer.

I figure most hunters have at least one preferred hunting rifle so lets hear all about them and why it is your favorite.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Favorite Hunting Rifle

My go to for several years was my Ruger M77 in 30-06. In the last few years though, I've added a Ruger M77 mkII in 308, with a 16" barrel that is an absolute dream for close to mid-range hunting. But the one I'm most determined to get a deer with is my grandfather's 50's vintage Marlin 336 RC in 35. After I get a deer with that, I want to shoot a deer with my Marlin 1894c in 357 mag. For small game I was using a Marlin xt17V in 17hmr, but that's been sold off in favor of a savage b-mag in 17wsm. But the Marlin 39a sitting in the safe is always dead nuts accurate whenever I shoot it.

(Huntingdon County)

My go to right now is a Rem 700 in .270, never had a deer run too far after the first shot. Which is good because I hate tracking blood in the leaves.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Perry County)

My AR pattern rifle in 7.62 NATO...oh wait, no it's not, thanks for nothing PGC Commissioners.

I don't own my favorite deer rifle anymore but I will have another. I had a Sako 85M Grew Wolf in .300 WSM. I picked it up from my local gun shop for a steal. Amazingly smooth action, accurate, a great rifle. I currently have, among many, an inexpensive Model 70 Winchester synthetic in .270 with detachable box magazine. For how inexpensive it was (found it on GB) it's a great rifle.

I also want to take my JM Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 out and about and haven't done so yet.

I wish I had a tale of a rifle I've hunted with for decades that has taken many deer. As it is, I've never taken more than one deer with any rifle I own and I no longer own any of the rifles that I've used to harvest a deer.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Hokkmike Guest

Can you guess mine?

In 6.5x55 no less.

(Bucks County)

My other favorite hunting rifle is a Remington 760 that I inherited from my grandfather, it goes up every deer season and gets carried by either me or my brother. The rifle is inherently lucky, of the 6 bucks me and my brother have shot, that one rifle accounts for the three largest ones between us.

It also has a tendency to hit running deer in the head, something my grandfather was very good at. He apparently transferred that skill to the rifle when he passed away as both my brother and I have done so without realizing it until we went to check for blood and found a dead deer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by LMTguy View Post
    My go to right now is a Rem 700 in .270, never had a deer run too far after the first shot. Which is good because I hate tracking blood in the leaves.
    This, up the mountains.
    If I'm in heavy brush with short ranges henry big bore .44 mag
    In Special Regs area, shotgun only an Ithaca deer slayer in 12 ga
    I guess I'll need a gun bearer, with a golf bag full of rifles.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

Mossberg in .270
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Delaware County)

I have a lot of hunting rifles but my go to for the last 15 years has been a stainless Rem 700 with a fluted Rock Creek barrel, Badger bolt knob sitting in a HS Precision thumb hole stock. Its chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It has been an absolute hammer on everything I have shot with it. 175gr hand loaded Sierra Gamekings at 2900fps. It also rivals the accuracy of my 15lb match guns weighing in at 8lb field ready.

1903 in .30-06 will always be my go to and I have a few hunting guns to choose from.

Oh, why it's my favorite...
    1280 Meters on target, need I say more?
    Last edited by P89; April 19th, 2017 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast