Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: Favorite Hunting Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    I carry a Sako Finnlight in 260, 308, or 300wsm for deer/bear. Groundhogs get 223 from a Rem700 police, or 260 from a Sako 85 classic.
    I'm guessing you're a Sako fan or you hijacked a truck full of Sako rifles.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

1950 Marlin 336SC (lever-action 30-30 SC= Sporting Carbine). The shorter tubular magazine and maybe the shape of the stock makes it a sporting carbine versus the full-length tube model.

The rifle is light, fast, excellent lever system, side ejection much better than Winchester's top ejection if you want a scope.

I was able to take a few running deer with this rifle when my eyes allowed open sights. No longer able to with a must-have-now scope.

Another reason it's my favorite...it was Dad's.

(Cumberland County)

The one that the [insert unfavorable pronouns here] at the PGC will let me use.

I have a feeling that my muzzle loading AR will get more play time this year - because I feel the need to be "that guy".
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Bucks County)

My trusty 1985 Marlin 336. It's light, reliable, and very accurate.

It shoots consistant 3/4" groups with an old Tasco 3x9.

I'm almost as consistant as it is.

(Chester County)

1960 Marlin 336 in 35REM with Boyd's nutmeg laminate stock, topped with my Nikon Prostaff 3x9.

Wait!....I don't even freakin' hunt

but if I did...
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Bucks County)

So apparently everybody has a Marlin 336 myself included, ours is in .30-30 and my grandfather took his first deer with it. Hasn't been shot much but me and my brother take it out to shoot every once in a while.

(Allegheny County)

For years my go to rifle was a Rem 760 pump in .06.
    A couple years ago I started using my kiddos Marlin 336.
    I traded him one of my SKSs for it even though I bought that Marlin for $75 About 30 years ago.
    I load it with 170 gr Speer Deepcurls many of which Qtrborecrazy sent me.
    The pump gun and .300WM Savage now just go out to the range as backups.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

My new favorite is the Ruger American 243 compact, very light and very accurate.

It's page three and everyone is posting guns they hunt deer with and that's cool but...
    Does anyone waterfowl hunt?

Typically I wing hunt with a BPS, the guy to the right of you in the blind will be very grateful you have this.
    However, I have a old Ted Williams (made by High Standard) that I've been hunting with since I was 12.
    It's been used for just about everything including a canoe paddle, a lever and sometime as a shotgun.
    It's been frozen solid, packed with mud, dropped in numerous bodies of water, as an anchor to get my ass out of the mud, as a two man drag stick,
    Jeep tailgate prop (weak struts) and many other things that you really shouldn't use a shotgun for but you know what the best part is... it still hunts!

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    It's page three and everyone is posting guns they hunt deer with and that's cool but...
    Does anyone waterfowl hunt?

Typically I wing hunt with a BPS, the guy to the right of you in the blind will be very grateful you have this.
    However, I have a old Ted Williams (made by High Standard) that I've been hunting with since I was 12.
    It's been used for just about everything including a canoe paddle, a lever and sometime as a shotgun.
    It's been frozen solid, packed with mud, dropped in numerous bodies of water, as an anchor to get my ass out of the mud, as a two man drag stick,
    Jeep tailgate prop (weak struts) and many other things that you really shouldn't use a shotgun for but you know what the best part is... it still hunts!
    I hunt waterfowl with a Browning Gold 12ga. I never cared for the way it patterns steel shot. Needs a IM choke to shoot any kind of half decent pattern and I dare not go any tighter. I started waterfowling with a Mossberg 835 that I bought used for $125. It was all beat up, some kind of NRA special edition w/ slug barrel combo. It was deadly on ducks and geese and shot a great pattern with steel. The ported barrel about blew out your ear drums though. I always wanted an auto-loader though so I sold it to a college buddy to finance the Browning Gold. I still miss that mossberg.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast