Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default game camera on public land

Still saving up to buy my own land and don't usually have time during the season to make it to family cabins/land far north. So my question is, does anyone use trail cams on public land (SGLs/State parks with hunting)? I didn't put mine out there this year but was thinking about it for next year. I realize there's a risk of theft but does it happen often? My plan was to use the game cam cable type locks, sticker/tag it with my info and maybe toss in a Life tile, or small gps chip, or something to attempt tracking if it is stolen.

Just wanted to see if other do it. I had been tracking some game for a couple years then this season comes around and no sign of them so wanted to try to get some photo evidence.

Default Re: game camera on public land

Yeah I put my cameras up on game lands and state forest all the time. I've never had one stolen, but it certainly could happen.

I lock my cameras to a tree with a small cable and a pad lock. This mostly prevents someone from simply walking off with it. The other thing I do is make sure to lock the camera shut so that someone doesn't come along and steal your camera card out of it. I try to avoid putting them up in places that are easily seen. My cameras aren't expensive so if someone steals one I won't be too upset about it.

There are a lot of scum bags out there, so you will want to lock the trail cameras. I have mine out behind the building I work at and I have a lock on it. You never know what animals are out there when you are not, and I'm referring to the two legged animals.

Some of those cameras are too expensive and you add batteries and memory cards and it make a trail camera very enticing for someone to snatch it up.

I know that people who don't have the proper identification on their tree stands have them confiscated by the game commission, so I'd imagine the same might happen to trail cameras.

(Northampton County)

I have never had an issue with my game cams on SGL, although where I place them is about an hour walk from the parking lot through some not so easy terrain. I.e. basically I am the only one back there, even on opening day of rifle, but they are taken down before rifle season starts. I think a simple cable lock will deter most potential thieves, I know i don't carry a lock cutter when i'm taking a long hike.