Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Favorite Hunting Rifle

I have an 835 too so I know what you mean, it gets handed off to my kid because I'm used to the pattern the old one spits.
    There's no issues with how the BPS patterns but I'm shooting Bismuth not steel out of that one, mostly used for goose.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    It's page three and everyone is posting guns they hunt deer with and that's cool but...
    Does anyone waterfowl hunt?

Typically I wing hunt with a BPS, the guy to the right of you in the blind will be very grateful you have this.
    However, I have a old Ted Williams (made by High Standard) that I've been hunting with since I was 12.
    It's been used for just about everything including a canoe paddle, a lever and sometime as a shotgun.
    It's been frozen solid, packed with mud, dropped in numerous bodies of water, as an anchor to get my ass out of the mud, as a two man drag stick,
    Jeep tailgate prop (weak struts) and many other things that you really shouldn't use a shotgun for but you know what the best part is... it still hunts!
    I have to admit I've never hunted waterfowl or really anything with a shotgun. Shotguns just don't hold nearly as much interest for me as rifles do. Consequently I only own two, a Winchester Model 12 I got from my grandfather and a maple stocked Browning Maxus that I picked up last year.

The Model 12 I used for years and ran thousands of round through it shooting single and double trap until I shattered the firing pin shooting trap on my 23rd birthday. Replaced the pin with a titanium one but decided I should ease up on it a bit since it's 70 years old which is why I bought the Maxus. The Maxus runs great and I saw a definite improvement in my score with a semi auto.

Edit: It just occurred to me after typing it out that the firing pin on my Model 12 broke exactly 10 years to the day that I last saw my Grandfather alive. He passed away less than a week after my 13th birthday which we spent looking for a new hunting cabin, the one he liked best was the same one we hunt in to this day. So there is my bit of sad nostalgia to add to this thread.
    Last edited by CMP703006; April 22nd, 2017 at 12:15 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

I love my Ruger M77 Mark II. Mine Is in the 270 cal. I have killed a bunch of deer with it and I intend to kill a bunch more with it. Very nice gun!

(Lycoming County)

It's page three and everyone is posting guns they hunt deer with and that's cool but...

Typically I wing hunt with a BPS, the guy to the right of you in the blind will be very grateful you have this.
    However, I have a old Ted Williams (made by High Standard) that I've been hunting with since I was 12.
    It's been used for just about everything including a canoe paddle, a lever and sometime as a shotgun.
    It's been frozen solid, packed with mud, dropped in numerous bodies of water, as an anchor to get my ass out of the mud, as a two man drag stick,
    Jeep tailgate prop (weak struts) and many other things that you really shouldn't use a shotgun for but you know what the best part is... it still hunts!
    Never was much into waterfowl, but I have a New England 20 gauge that has seen much of the same abuse on pheasant, grouse, rabbit hunts. I got it for my 10th or 11th birthday and its seen plenty of use over the last several decades. My go-to for birds is now a Mossberg 500 (it's only about 5 years newer though) and small game is a savage .22mag over 20. I still take take that little single 20 out on occasion and it spends most of the summer in the back of my truck to cull the pigeon population at the farm I work on. It's scratched, pitted, and beat up in general and I wouldn't want it any other way .

(Bucks County)

I did a lot of waterfowl hunting when I lived in the PRNJ and I also used a BPS. I used it to shoot in a trap league at the old Winchester range across from the Raceway Park entrance.

My dad had a Sears Ted Williams pump too. That's the one I shot a hole in our old living room wall with.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Never was much into waterfowl, but I have a New England 20 gauge that has seen much of the same abuse on pheasant, grouse, rabbit hunts. I got it for my 10th or 11th birthday and its seen plenty of use over the last several decades. My go-to for birds is now a Mossberg 500 (it's only about 5 years newer though) and small game is a savage .22mag over 20. I still take take that little single 20 out on occasion and it spends most of the summer in the back of my truck to cull the pigeon population at the farm I work on. It's scratched, pitted, and beat up in general and I wouldn't want it any other way .
    I have a .222/20 & a 30-30/20..the 24V are great guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I did a lot of waterfowl hunting when I lived in the PRNJ and I also used a BPS. I used it to shoot in a trap league at the old Winchester range across from the Raceway Park entrance.

My dad had a Sears Ted Williams pump too. That's the one I shot a hole in our old living room wall with.
    LOL! Come on! You have to tell us the whole story!

(Butler County)

I don't have one now, but I'd love to have one of those Bavarian Manlicher stocked rifles like CZ, Blaser, etc..... in 6.5x55.

Close second would be a Savage 99 in 308.
    Close third would be a Marlin lever in 45-70 or. 444.

(Bucks County)

I did, ad nauseum. I hate searching for stuff on here.

I think it's My ND/AD Story or something like that.

I had to make a new thread cause I spent like a half hour typing it and they closed the ND thread when I hit post.

(Lycoming County)

I always wanted one of the 30-30/12 gauge combos as a truck/barn/shtf gun. Not many hunting scenarios in PA that you wouldn't be prepared for with that one.

Savage 99/300 Sav
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast