My wife and I had to bring my daughter into the emergency room the other morning because she and her friend had taken some cold meds to get high. She was not in any life threatening situation, but we have a zero tolerance for any drug use of this nature. If she does this kind of thing we bring her in to get her checked out. She has been receiving out patient therapy to stop this behavior.

At the ER the hospital mental health evaluator felt she should go in patent to get help. To prevent my daughter to checking herself out after 72 hours the hospital 302 her. We did not even know what that was at the time. Furthermore the staff never even asked her if she would be willing to go inpatient in a voluntary capacity.

I requested a copy of the 302 and was told I would receive it in 60 days. I called the petitioner, who agreed she never had the conversation with my daughter, and she said it was not relevant or required. According to petitioner there was evidence from my daughter's home based therapist that my daughter would try and check herself out after 72 hours. I do not believe the home base therapist had any bases for such a statement.

I cant see how this is legal. After reading the ACT 302 and its requirements, specifically that the patient should be given the opportunity to go voluntarily, I feel she was mistreated. She was coherent and more than willing to go in to a treatment center.

I am a gun owner and am concerned my daughter rights have been hurt. We cant easily afford a lawyer and are not sure what are options are. Can someone please give use some advice on how to proceed in fighting this?