Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: What can I do for my 14 year old girl?

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Yes, this is and should remain a serious thread.

I'd think a 302 could hold her back from certain career fields such as education or working with children, although it seems a lot of people do slip through the system in public schools.
    Who the hell knows what devious things will be cooked up in the future. It's been said before, if the 302 was not done correctly, your daughter was railroaded. That needs to be fixed.

(Warren County)

Prayers for wisdom and energy and the strength to do the best things for her.

I endorse challenging the 302 ASAP, professionally.

Since she couldn't sign herself In voluntarily (being 14) - she couldn't sign herself OUT which may make the 302 void - I dunno...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by greg758 View Post
    I am astonished at the response from this forum and from what I've read everyone has valuable input
    Our daughters problems are the most important thing in our lives right now and consume much of our time.
    It hurts to see people who you care so much for throw their lives away and it seems impossible to reach them
    From what I've experienced there is a hole in the mental health industry Inpatient-based treatment centers have folks that are pretty sick and probably would not be a good influence for my daughter. Out patient therapy has had zero effect over the past two years So an individual continues to get worse until they belong in a residential facility.
    I i'm sorry to get off topic I agree gun ownership is not at the forefront of my daughter's well-being. An earlier post suggested other issues beyond just gun ownership with regards to the 302. I am thinking about these as well
    I would expect it is easier to take care of now than later, and given the uncertainty of what it all means feel as though it is incumbent upon me to tackle it somehow or other
    Everyone here has been through something.
    Lots of varied experience to hear from.
    Many of us feel the pain when someone else is going through it.
    This can also be a good place to vent frustration rather than taking it out on someone close to you.
    I know many here wish you the best possible outcome for your troubles.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

I can't offer anything of value that hasn't already been covered.
    All I can do is wish you and you family the strength to persevere through this.

I know what it's like to move around a lot as a kid...it's not easy. I got in a lot of trouble and did some really dumb things, but that was long ago.
    Now days there is just so many outlets for them to explore and most of it is right at their finger tips.
    It may not be the cool thing now but when she gets through all this and realizes Mom & Dad are on her side your family will be all that much stronger.

(Bucks County)

Just my opinion here. Take her to a meeting. Let her see just how much fun addiction really is.

Been a freind of jimmy k for a long time
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    I believe that there is a 6 year time limit on challenging a 302 commitment, although it would not begin to run until she turns 18. She may or may not be in a good position to file such a challenge before her 24th birthday, after which a challenge could only proceed if the PSP waives the statute of limitations.

No. No "time limit".

Actually in some cases "time" can work to one's advantage.
    "Your honor, It's been 18 years with no further "episodes" and Ms. Z is a productive member of society holding a management position at her company for the last 8 years..."

The only REAL limitation on challenging a 302 at the present (it didn't used to be this way - at one time you could have a 302 "cleared") is that you can NOT have it reversed - unless it can be shown to have been carried out without following the very strict criteria for committing someone against their will.
    If everything was done properly, she's out of luck.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by greg758 View Post
    I believe the problem that my daughters gotten caught up in is how widespread and normal this kind of activity is within her circle of friends.
    Part of the problem is we just moved a year ago from New York and she's having trouble adjusting. Our biggest concern is heroin in the future.

My daughter is under what is called a 504 program Basically she's on disability for mental health, and I wonder if being associated with said program has already precluded her from gun ownership
    How old is she? I don't remember seeing an age? It really does seem better to worry about these issues first anf the ramifications of a 302 later.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    How old is she? I don't remember seeing an age? It really does seem better to worry about these issues first anf the ramifications of a 302 later.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    No. No "time limit".

In footnote 4 of IN RE: NANCY WHITE VENCIL, the PA Supreme Court noted:

[4] Although almost a decade had passed between Vencil's 302 commitment and her request for expungement, the PSP affirmatively waived consideration of the applicable statute of limitations on actions commenced under section 6111.1(g)(2). See PSP's Brief at 27 n.11.

I take that to mean that there is a limit and that it is less than 10 years. The standard limit on commencing a civil action is 6 years, with the exception that the time allowed does not begin to run until a minor reaches the age of 18.

(Centre County)

As we move forward through this I'll keep y'all posted and will seek out the names of those suggested, thanks again.
    At a minimum this is the first long-term impact her behavior has had on her life, well at least from her perspective and she recognize it. That is a good thing because she feels/ acts as though she knows it all and is invincible, and in reality nothing could be further from the truth

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast