Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: What can I do for my 14 year old girl?

I would spend a few hundred dollars and get an initial consultation with a lawyer that specializes in gun law.
    You will not be committed to further legal action or legal bills, and you will know exactly where you stand instead of just guessing.
    I would also lock up any guns you have in the house, since her safety is the priority, and if she is unstable she may harm herself.
    Finally, I would lock up any prescription and over the counter medication in the house that may be misused.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    Can a 14 yr old sign them selves out of hospital?
    Why not? They can schedule a procedure and get it done without parental involvement, so I dunno why they would not be able to sign out when it is done...but I am just guessing.

Get her out of school and use cyber school, it is free.
    Thst works if there is adult supervision at home. Leaving her there all day without supervision is probably not going to work out well.

In any case, I would pretty much dedicate evenings to spending time together, doing whatever activities you can muster up. Need to work on that relationship and keep her away from undesireables.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Well for starters, you could loose your rights to be a web troll and be deported back to Saskatchewan.
    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Probably best to save the attempts at insults for the lounge. We're trying to help OP in this thread. Thanks.
    I concur with free on this.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I would spend a few hundred dollars and get an initial consultation with a lawyer that specializes in gun law.
    You will not be committed to further legal action or legal bills, and you will know exactly where you stand instead of just guessing.
    I would also lock up any guns you have in the house, since her safety is the priority, and if she is unstable she may harm herself.
    Finally, I would lock up any prescription and over the counter medication in the house that may be misused.
    Yes. Consult with an attorney. Preferably one who has worked this type of case.

Before going, request any and ALL records of your daughter's sessions, hospital visits, admissions records...
    That will give the attorney something to work with - more than "your story" which really doesn't amount to much legally.
    Get the documents and see if they screwed up somewhere.

You will likely need to pay for the copies, but better to pay that and have everything in front of you.
    At least everything is fairly recent so not likely the records have been lost or destroyed yet.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    There can be more ramifications to a 302 besides gun ownership.

Best of luck to you and your daughter Greg.
    ^This. The 302 may haunt her in many ways. Wonder ifshecan get in themilitary? Can she be a cop, teacher, work withchildren, publicemployee, security clearance, professionally licensed? I don't knowwhere the lines are but I am certain they go beyond gun ownership. And based onthe direction our society is headed it will only get worse with time.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    You hit on a point here where you lay some of the responsibility on those looking to protect your daughter with the blame. I think you need to view this from your daughters perspective....she is the one that made the decision to take these medications, regardless of who was with her at the time. It boils down to her and the decision she made. Consequences...I firmly believe you need to convey to your daughter that her actions will have consequences....good or bad. She, ultimately, made the decision to take the meds. She needs to bear the responsibility of her actions. Unfortunately, its going to be a lot tougher now that the State is involved.

I wish you the best of hope. Stay strong and put your foot down!
    Great advice, for decisions do indeed have consequences and the sooner that becomes apparent to your daughter (age 14 is not too young to learn life lessons). Moving to a different community only changes the return address on your envelope - if your daughter hasn't learned that she is loved by you and there are consequences to her decisions - she'll gravitate to similar types of friends in the "new" neighborhood/school and available supply channels because that's what kids who can't get high on life do.

This is not a temporary exacerbation - it requires to restructure your life, drop everything you're doing, and put her at the top of the list and KEEP HER THERE. "Things" don't matter. The way you make your family members feel matters.

Tell her the ten most important words "Have I told you today how much I love you?" EVERY DAY. Better for her to hear it from you than for the first time from some snarky addict.

FWIW, the nine most important words "I'm sorry, you were right and I was wrong" are honest, usually well-received, and therapudic for any relationship.

Sometime this summer, send her to here: http://www.ncobs.org/programs/classic-high/. Cell phones and Internet not allowed. Some kids bring their cell phone with two back-ups. All of them eventually get confiscated and returned to the owner at the end of the program.

There is more to life than the Internet and number of "friends". If you can get folks to disengage, some may figure it out!

They have programs for different age groups - some corporations even send their employees there so they learn to work better together. Even "C-level" groups. While I went on a 28 day program offered at the time, the kids went on a 21 day course. There are shorter ones, but I wanted my kids to have the full magilla - of learning to be confident in their capabilities, do the heavy lifting and learn how to carry a load, communicate with complete strangers, survive outdoors, work with others, and recognize that irrespective of the cornucopia of drugs available - to just get high on life.

Every one of us as "kids" of our 92 YO mom went there in the '60's and '70's, and every one of our kids went there in the '90's.

It started out as program in Britain because airmen shot down or who ditched over the English Channel in WWII seemed to loose the will to live only minutes after hitting the water (and the rescue boat was only five or ten minutes away). Fast forward to 1968 and NCOBS (North Carolina Outward Bound School) offered the American version of the program - camping, hiking, rock-climbing, kayaking, etc. In the old days, the judges in some courts gave the kids a choice - either go to jail or go to NCOBS, learn something, and hopefully turn your life around.

While thankfully I wasn't a product of the court system, it was one of the three most profound experiences that guided me on my way to age 20. We still donate to NCOBS (and have for the last 40 something years). I still have the patch that I had sewn to my jacket: "To Serve, To Strive, and Not To Yield".

This circumstance must now be your MOST FREAKIN-IMPORTANT project, bar none.

Start with telling your daughter how much you love her...
    Last edited by bamboomaster; April 18th, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Carbon County)

I have no advice for you, but i wish you luck on getting your little girl straightened out. With wee ones of my own, this is my worst nightmare.

(Chester County)

... When she decides she needs a gun let her pay the lawyer.
    I believe that there is a 6 year time limit on challenging a 302 commitment, although it would not begin to run until she turns 18. She may or may not be in a good position to file such a challenge before her 24th birthday, after which a challenge could only proceed if the PSP waives the statute of limitations.

(Centre County)

I am astonished at the response from this forum and from what I've read everyone has valuable input

Our daughters problems are the most important thing in our lives right now and consume much of our time.

It hurts to see people who you care so much for throw their lives away and it seems impossible to reach them

From what I've experienced there is a hole in the mental health industry Inpatient-based treatment centers have folks that are pretty sick and probably would not be a good influence for my daughter. Out patient therapy has had zero effect over the past two years So an individual continues to get worse until they belong in a residential facility.

I i'm sorry to get off topic I agree gun ownership is not at the forefront of my daughter's well-being. An earlier post suggested other issues beyond just gun ownership with regards to the 302. I am thinking about these as well

I would expect it is easier to take care of now than later, and given the uncertainty of what it all means feel as though it is incumbent upon me to tackle it somehow or other

(Northampton County)

I mean I gotta ask, just how critical is it that she has a gun later in life? Almost all the women I know don't own guns, don't shoot and really could care less.
    I don't get this. Do you have a crystal ball? Fifteen years ago, if you told me I would be where I am today I would have laughed at you. That includes gun ownership. Funny things happen in life. Thing is, she is only 14 and can't get herself out of this mess. I can't think of anything good that could come from a 302 on your record. If it was not done correctly, you should fight it. Now is the chance, not 20 years from now when the paperwork was lost in a flood.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast