Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: What can I do for my 14 year old girl?

Quote Originally Posted by greg758 View Post
    I can't thank everyone enough for responding to my thread I really do appreciate it

The challenges my daughter faces aren't gonna be solved overnight and those challenges are certainly the most important thing we are working on for her It is an ongoing daily concern and effort, trying to help her see the path she's on

We still hold the highest aspirations for our daughter and intend to try to fight this unjustified 302. It is disturbing how people in positions of power have no clue what the end results of their decisions are, and what negative impacts they have on the lives of whom they're supposed to be helping.

thanks all again. this is a great website.
    They know.

I had a friend in high school who got high on robitussin, 4 or five bottles at a time. Ended up killing himself. Wasn't an accident.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    I mean I gotta ask, just how critical is it that she has a gun later in life? Almost all the women I know don't own guns, don't shoot and really could care less. Owning a gun is not going to be her future or yours. Cash in your retirement to cover for your daughters dumb decisions? When she decides she needs a gun let her pay the lawyer.
    There can be more ramifications to a 302 besides gun ownership.

Best of luck to you and your daughter Greg.

My son has struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. I caught him smoking weed around 14 yrs old. Did the therapist thing. My new wife wanted me to send him to rehab. I thought it's only weed, he doesn't need that. A couple years later he was doing anything he could get his hands on. He took so many mind altering drugs he's not right anymore. He's been 302'd twice and been in three mental hospitals. He's finally doing better. He's 23.

Before you spend your money on a lawyer, take care of your daughter. Spend the money on treatment. It's cough medicine now, could be heroin or meth later. Think hard about putting her in a rehab. I wish I would have done it with my son. I don't know it would have helped but it would have been one less regret in my life.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    I mean I gotta ask, just how critical is it that she has a gun later in life? Almost all the women I know don't own guns, don't shoot and really could care less. Owning a gun is not going to be her future or yours. Cash in your retirement to cover for your daughters dumb decisions? When she decides she needs a gun let her pay the lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post

Best of luck to you and your daughter Greg.

Indeed.
    I realize this is a gun forum so most of the thought process regarding this will focus solely on the gun ownership aspect, but it's a bit deeper than that.

Putting aside the most immediate concerns for the girl's health for a moment, I ask, how many rights are we afforded that we may not "need"? Probably several.
    Not exercising a right, either by choice, or through lack of need to exercise a right is a LOT different than having said right(s) stripped from you - unjustly - and permanently.

If the 302 was/is valid and there was merit to her being involuntarily committed, that's one thing.
    It's an entirely different situation if she was improperly/illegally deemed "crazy for life" - because right or wrong, that's what a 302 equates to in the eyes of society.
    There's a stigma associated with mental heath care even today and regardless of her actual state of mind - then or now - that stigma is bonded to her for life.

I may never want to own a gun, but I certainly wouldn't want to be burdened with the baggage of being viewed as crazy or have it potentially affect my future employment, or my medical care, or any other thing that having a 302 attached to you may bring.

If it was not valid, I would want it gone.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Can we get a run down on the ramifications?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by greg758 View Post
    It is disturbing how people in positions of power have no clue what the end results of their decisions are, and what negative impacts they have on the lives of whom they're supposed to be helping.
    You hit on a point here where you lay some of the responsibility on those looking to protect your daughter with the blame. I think you need to view this from your daughters perspective....she is the one that made the decision to take these medications, regardless of who was with her at the time. It boils down to her and the decision she made. Consequences...I firmly believe you need to convey to your daughter that her actions will have consequences....good or bad. She, ultimately, made the decision to take the meds. She needs to bear the responsibility of her actions. Unfortunately, its going to be a lot tougher now that the State is involved.

I wish you the best of hope. Stay strong and put your foot down!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Can we get a run down on the ramifications?
    Well for starters, you could loose your rights to be a web troll and be deported back to Saskatchewan.

(Allegheny County)

Well for starters, you could loose your rights to be a web troll and be deported back to Saskatchewan.
    Probably best to save the attempts at insults for the lounge. We're trying to help OP in this thread. Thanks.

Yes, this is and should remain a serious thread.

I'd think a 302 could hold her back from certain career fields such as education or working with children, although it seems a lot of people do slip through the system in public schools.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Cumberland County)

Can a 14 yr old sign them selves out of hospital?

I would suggest once she is out that you eliminate the friends. Get her out of school and use cyber school, it is free. Take the cell phone, delete any social media. Find positive people to get her around and otherwise don't let her leave the house. I don't know what her 504 problems are but I would bet that has something to do with the loser friends and lack of self esteem. School only makes it worse.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast