Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: What can I do for my 14 year old girl?

There is no due process. Somebodysays you are screwed, you are screwed. No judge, no jury, no review, no appeal. And you stay screwed for life. No pardon, no expungment.

A lawyer can sometimes fix this, andthis one sounds particularly squirrelly. My layman's opinion is you havea good shot, get on this fast. Once thepeople involvedand someoftherecords are gone itwill be more difficult. Get a lawyer with experience and somesuccess in thesematters. My understanding is a court case determined PA can nolonger restore rights for a 302. So if your lawyer is anidiot, don't pay for that nonsense. Youneed anexperienced lawyer to show the 302 was invalid. Again, I think you have a good shot inthis case butit aint in my wheelhouse.
    Last edited by ungawa; April 18th, 2017 at 01:03 AM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

You can try to challenge the validity of the 302, now or later, but it's an uphill battle where the patient unlawfully used meds for recreational purposes. Not always impossible, but it depends a lot on the judge.

It's not enough to support a 302 that they thought she would leave early (before the insurance is exhausted, sometimes). They have to show imminent danger to self or others, for which inpatient care is necessary.

In the State College area, yeah, I'd call McCormick; sell the plasma TV and the car, cash in the IRA, borrow from the brother in law, do whatever you have to do to avoid damaging the kid permanently because of a temporary issue.
    http://www.pagunlaws.com/J_Michael_McCormick.html
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

What he said^

Good luck.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I'll take some heat for this but, I am watching an unreal opioid epidemic play out in Philadelphia with all of its associated tragedies. While it was cold medicine and not pain killers, I think the concern should be that she makes it to adulthood and not whether she would be probibited as an adult.

I do wish you and your wife and daughter success in getting EVERYTHING straightened out.
    I'm with Carson on this. Firearm rights may be important but dead is irreversible.

I watched this happen in my own home as the EX's son slowly destroyed himself over three years. The drugs of choice were OTC meds and friends of the worse sort. Once down this path it's hard to reverse it in time. He was dead from liver cancer at 19.

The cause of this is not the drugs. They are the catylist. It is the associations with people who drag you down to thier level and facilitate the destructive choices that ruin your life or get you killed. Family and treatment can only do so much. The choice is thiers to make

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    The cause of this is not the drugs. They are the catylist. It is the associations with people who drag you down to thier level and facilitate the destructive choices that ruin your life or get you killed. Family and treatment can only do so much. The choice is thiers to make
    I agree with this, but will also add that embracing some form of purpose, or direction is also important. This is where parents can help introduce their kids to many different types of career paths, hobbies, avocations, good people, meaningful education, spirituality (not necessarily organized religion), etc.

(Centre County)

I can't thank everyone enough for responding to my thread I really do appreciate it

The challenges my daughter faces aren't gonna be solved overnight and those challenges are certainly the most important thing we are working on for her It is an ongoing daily concern and effort, trying to help her see the path she's on

We still hold the highest aspirations for our daughter and intend to try to fight this unjustified 302. It is disturbing how people in positions of power have no clue what the end results of their decisions are, and what negative impacts they have on the lives of whom they're supposed to be helping.

thanks all again. this is a great website.

(Centre County)

I believe the problem that my daughters gotten caught up in is how widespread and normal this kind of activity is within her circle of friends.
    Part of the problem is we just moved a year ago from New York and she's having trouble adjusting. Our biggest concern is heroin in the future.

My daughter is under what is called a 504 program Basically she's on disability for mental health, and I wonder if being associated with said program has already precluded her from gun ownership

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You can try to challenge the validity of the 302, now or later, but it's an uphill battle where the patient unlawfully used meds for recreational purposes. Not always impossible, but it depends a lot on the judge.

It's not enough to support a 302 that they thought she would leave early (before the insurance is exhausted, sometimes). They have to show imminent danger to self or others, for which inpatient care is necessary.

In the State College area, yeah, I'd call McCormick; sell the plasma TV and the car, cash in the IRA, borrow from the brother in law, do whatever you have to do to avoid damaging the kid permanently because of a temporary issue.
    http://www.pagunlaws.com/J_Michael_McCormick.html
    I mean I gotta ask, just how critical is it that she has a gun later in life? Almost all the women I know don't own guns, don't shoot and really could care less. Owning a gun is not going to be her future or yours. Cash in your retirement to cover for your daughters dumb decisions? When she decides she needs a gun let her pay the lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    It is the associations with people who drag you down to thier level and facilitate the destructive choices that ruin your life or get you killed.
    I don't disagree that the crowd with which one hangs out is of utmost importance. However, objectively, it is entirely possible that this girl is the one dragging OTHERS down to her level. That issue needs to be considered and explored.

Other than that - I'm with Carson here. Girl has more important issues to be solved than firearms rights. With respect to the "friends issue" - one thing to consider is that sometimes, the only thing you can do to "get away from the friends" is to physically relocate. Away. New school district. Good distance away. 50 miles should do it. But this only works if you take measures to keep her from finding similar people in the new location.

Good luck.

Part of the problem is we just moved a year ago from New York and she's having trouble adjusting.
    Have you gotten her involved in useful/productive activities, or does she just have a bunch of time on her hands to do nothing useful once she is out of school?

Cash in your retirement to cover for your daughters dumb decisions? When she decides she needs a gun let her pay the lawyer.
    Yep. Good point. I might be inclined to spend $20K (for example) helping her get her shit together. I might be inclined to spend it on her education. But I'm not going to spend it on fixing her gun rights problem. It would certainly be lower priority than the first two I mentioned.
    Last edited by free; April 18th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by greg758 View Post

I am a gun owner and am concerned my daughter rights have been hurt. We cant easily afford a lawyer and are not sure what are options are. Can someone please give use some advice on how to proceed in fighting this?
    The real battle and real important one is the use of chemicals and your daughters life. I sit in the rooms with young people a couple times a week whose beginning story sounds exactly the same. What else is going on during those teen years. Depression, low self esteem, poor self image or some type of trauma? Involve the entire family in the process.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast