Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: What can I do for my 14 year old girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Going way off topic now, but what other discipline or punishment would you recommend for motor vehicle offenses besides a monetary fine? I just love when folks throw out the revenue generation claim.
    Community service, jail, and/or loss of vehicle with the proceeds going to non-profits.

I bet the OP would disagree with you.
    Plenty of people would.

And how is that working out ?
    We don't know yet, because for the most part, people are not held accountable.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Community service, jail, and/or loss of vehicle with the proceeds going to non-profits..
    Community service- like picking up trash on the highway ? But then we have to pay for the union supervisors to watch over the folks picking up trash as cars wiz by.

Jail- It costs money to house someone in a jail and while they are in they are not working and supporting their family.

Loss of vehicle- Again the inability to drive to work (or junior to school or grand ma to the doctor) to provide for the family. And that is if you could inexpensively disable the vehicle or stop them from driving.

So what is left, hit them in the wallet. Nobody likes losing ca$h.

(Chester County)

I've seen more affluent suburban areas with bigger heroin problems than suburban areas that share a border with cities. Heroin is no joke. I strongly encourage anyone fighting an addiction to seek out mental health treatment in addition to their drug and alcohol treatment. I usually see drug use as a coping mechanism for underlying mental health problems. Also, I believe a lot of drug and alcohol treatment centers are nothing more than leaches on insurance money.

Drive up and down I-95 from Delaware to Bucks County. Within the past 2 months it went from zero advertisements to about 6 billboards for Vivitril.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Cumberland County)

Community service- like picking up trash on the highway ? But then we have to pay for the union supervisors to watch over the folks picking up trash as cars wiz by.

Jail- It costs money to house someone in a jail and while they are in they are not working and supporting their family.

Loss of vehicle- Again the inability to drive to work (or junior to school or grand ma to the doctor) to provide for the family. And that is if you could inexpensively disable the vehicle or stop them from driving.

When people say revenue generation. They mean BS tickets, not hit and run. Failure to COMPLETELY stop, or speeding or any number of things that cause no harm but are enforced. That is revenue generation. Someone is reckless driving then yes bust them. There is a difference, you have to see that? Fines are what is cheapest to use. I wonder for idiots that drive like that if a fine makes any difference. Unless it is so punitive that it wrecks their life, in which case they won't be providing for anyone.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by greg758 View Post
    As many do, I believe most kids who abuse drugs at a young age have underlying mental health issues and need psychological help, more so than drug counseling While we are all responsibe for our choices, compassion and understanding for those who struggle is critical.

My daughter says she takes cold medicine because it helps her feel less self conscious. I can tell you my daughter has been insecure since she was 3 and we brought her baby brother home from the hospital

You would be correct in saying I don't agree. My daughter is smart, clever, funny and the most important thing in mine and my wife's life. It would be tragic for her life to end with her entire future ahead of her.
    This is sad. I still think getting her out of public school and off social media would be the best thing. Then find something she can do that will help her feel good about herself. Have you seen any of the crossfit programs? Getting strong will boost her confidence and the gyms are typically very positive places.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I strongly encourage anyone fighting an addiction to seek out mental health treatment in addition to their drug and alcohol treatment. I usually see drug use as a coping mechanism for underlying mental health problems. Also, I believe a lot of drug and alcohol treatment centers are nothing more than leaches on insurance money.

Drive up and down I-95 from Delaware to Bucks County. Within the past 2 months it went from zero advertisements to about 6 billboards for Vivitril.
    True many times there are co-occurring mental health issues that's the reason duel diagnoses facilities exist. Before you can make an accurate mental health diagnoses the patient needs to be at very least detoxed and clear minded.
    Yes there are some rehabs that are just money grubbers but not all or not most.

Vivitrol (naltrexone) is a great tool, not a fix all. It's been around a long time but the monthly shot is pretty new and now there's an implant too. It only works on alcohol and Opioids. It is a tool that gives you time to continue addiction and mental health therapy.

(Allegheny County)

Community service- like picking up trash on the highway ?
    That's one form. But there are others.

But then we have to pay for the union supervisors to watch over the folks picking up trash as cars wiz by.
    Society costs money. Nevertheless, the perps can pick up the tab....after eliminating unionization for public employees.

Jail- It costs money to house someone in a jail
    It sure does. Again, society costs money.

and while they are in they are not working and supporting their family.
    Yep. Gives them something to think about.

Loss of vehicle- Again the inability to drive to work (or junior to school or grand ma to the doctor) to provide for the family.
    Yep. All of the sudden, breaking the law doesn't seem to appealing.

The cost of the speeding ticket will not keep most people from speeding, and more than "losing their license" stops some people from driving. The REAL prospect of sitting in jail for the weekend, losing your next 4 weekends to community service, or losing your car certainly would. Many people value their TIME more than their money.

But all I see in your post are excuses for why people can't be held accountable.

(Lancaster County)

I'd like to see every single one of these signs say "Inmates of Local Prison".

Why should law abiding citizens be out walking along side dangerous highways picking up trash?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'd like to see every single one of these signs say "Inmates of Local Prison".

Why should law abiding citizens be out walking along side dangerous highways picking up trash?
    You do know state inmates can now buy tablets in prison now? The politicians don't want the inmates to get blisters from picking up trash. Plus it's humiliating.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213