Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Getting Fingerprints?

So I got some of the ATF fingeprint cards and I called around to all of the local and state police stations and they all tell me they no longer do fingerprints but will refer me out to local businesses that have an electronic fingerprint device. I have been told that they need to be true ink fingerprints and these electroinic machines will not suffice.

Any advice? I have read about people doing their own prints and I have seen a few online posts about people getting applications rejected because it was not done by an offical source?

I live around 19020 (Bensalem) and I am willing to travel up to 30 minutes to get them done.
    I have 2 additional family members who will need them to be done also for the new responsible persons cards as I am doing it via trust with multiple parties in the trust.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Getting Fingerprints?

Not sure where you heard that they have to be done in ink, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. My last form 4 was done at the state police barracks in Skippack, and they used the digital fingerprint scanner and printed them onto my form 4. Since I received my stamp, I can safely assume that digital fingerprints were OK. I will say that I had my fingerprints for my Hazmat recertification done at a UPS store, and were good enough for the TSA (and probably other three letter agencies). As long as they're done by a reputable (certified maybe?) business, and the quality of the prints appears good on the forms, and the company employee certifies in the correct boxes on the forms, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Mongo85; April 17th, 2017 at 11:35 AM.

(Bucks County)

With the random stories I read, I would rather not take the risk of losing $200 and having to resubmit everything. Do you mind if I ask how long ago you got them done?
    I just find it weird that every police station and PSP station I called all stated they no longer do fingerprints.

I have a place right near my house that has a digital machine and I'm going to ask if they can do ink fingerprints if I bring the cards. I'm just worried about them being rejected for not being done by some law enforcement agency.

(Montgomery County)

Had them done in April 2016. Wasn't a problem then, just had to wait about ten or fifteen minutes and they brought me back. Dunno if they're doing them now...
    Last edited by Mongo85; April 17th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

(Centre County)

The Centre Co prison will do them in this area and they are the inkless digital (like what a whole lot of PD's are now using because it's easier) and many of my customers in the last year or more have been getting them done there and have had no issues with the NFA Branch. When I last talked to the NFA Branch, about 3-4 months ago, they really don't care who does the prints as long as they are clear and readable by the FBI (no smudges, etc.). There are many large suppressor dealers that have the setups being sold through Silencer Shop that can do the prints and AFAIK none have been rejected by the NFA Branch.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wyoming County)

FWIW found this on TFB dated: 07/15/16

link:http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...fe-nfa-branch/
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Ok awesome thanks for the replies guys! I feel a lot more confident in getting them done by the local shop who is equipped with the machinery to do them as my girlfriend said she had them done at the same place for her clearences to work with children.

(Montgomery County)

Does anyone know if the Cogent service can print per the requirements? These are the ones in the UPS stores used to do digital fingerprints for the FBI background check for child clearances.

(Bucks County)

Im gonna find out soon, thats the unit the store by me has that I will be visiting, Ill post an update as soon as I do unless someone else here can answer that.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigred00 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Cogent service can print per the requirements? These are the ones in the UPS stores used to do digital fingerprints for the FBI background check for child clearances.
    That's the tricky part. Some of the Cogent places can SCAN and send the prints electronically but can't PRINT them on to a card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast