Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Scope?

(Chester County)

Default AK Scope?

Looking for a scope for an AK. It's going to mount to a dust cover rail. Looking for either a scope or a red dot and magnifier. Not trying to break the bank. Anyone with some nice reasonable suggestions? I'm not looking to be a sniper but I am looking for it to be a longer range weapon.
    Those who fear the coming of all Hells
    are those who should be feared themselves.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: AK Scope?

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodfink View Post
    Looking for a scope for an AK. It's going to mount to a dust cover rail. Looking for either a scope or a red dot and magnifier. Not trying to break the bank. Anyone with some nice reasonable suggestions? I'm not looking to be a sniper but I am looking for it to be a longer range weapon.
    Mounting to the dust cover is not very ideal.... Especially if you are shooting longer ranges.

Do you have a side rail? The RS regulate or Midwest industries mounts are pretty good

How much magnification or how long you looking through shoot?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Mounting to the dust cover is not very ideal.... Especially if you are shooting longer ranges.

Do you have a side rail? The RS regulate or Midwest industries mounts are pretty good

How much magnification or how long you looking through shoot?
    I was going to use the Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Rail. I've heard they're pretty reliable. I don't really feel like I'll be shooting past 50 yards.

https://www.texasweaponsystems.com/product-p/33310.htm

(Berks County)

Bushnell or Primary Arms.

(Bucks County)

If you're not looking to go past 50 yards, get a red dot, or just get better with the iron sights. I agree with esh, Bushnell or Primary Arms for a reasonably priced red dot.
    Last edited by McSull; April 16th, 2017 at 07:34 PM.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodfink View Post
    I was going to use the Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Rail. I've heard they're pretty reliable. I don't really feel like I'll be shooting past 50 yards.

https://www.texasweaponsystems.com/product-p/33310.htm
    There have been some bad reviews of that system on AKfiles and akforums, I would 110% suggest either the side rail or ultimak, but I digress. You asked for scopes, not scope mounts.

If 50 yards is your regular range, that you will be shooting, I would go red dot

Another option would be (if your AK is chambered in 7.62x39) the primary arms x3 prism scope. It has been labeled as the "poor man's acog". They are very rugged, reliable, and the ACSS reticle on them is easy to read, giving you hold overs out to ~500 yards..... Or making you deadly accurate at 50 yards. The AK operators union store sells these as a package with the RS regulate mount and AKOG mount for $400.... Which is substantially cheaper than my military discount pricing at primary arms.

If you want an actual scope, I would look into the primary arms 1-6 or 1-8, or the vortex 1-4x (probably the viper hs model). The vortex has nicer glass and if you get the PST model, you can have an illuminated reticle.

(Chester County)

There have been some bad reviews of that system on AKfiles and akforums, I would 110% suggest either the side rail or ultimak, but I digress. You asked for scopes, not scope mounts.

If 50 yards is your regular range, that you will be shooting, I would go red dot

Another option would be (if your AK is chambered in 7.62x39) the primary arms x3 prism scope. It has been labeled as the "poor man's acog". They are very rugged, reliable, and the ACSS reticle on them is easy to read, giving you hold overs out to ~500 yards..... Or making you deadly accurate at 50 yards. The AK operators union store sells these as a package with the RS regulate mount and AKOG mount for $400.... Which is substantially cheaper than my military discount pricing at primary arms.

If you want an actual scope, I would look into the primary arms 1-6 or 1-8, or the vortex 1-4x (probably the viper hs model). The vortex has nicer glass and if you get the PST model, you can have an illuminated reticle.
    Thank you! Lots of great info.

(Chester County)

You've convinced me. I'm going to go with the RS Regulate mount.

(Lancaster County)

Another option if you have a side rail and it's not a Yugo or newer Century is a Russian red dot of some sort... I have a PK01VS on an Arsenal and quite like it though I find the dot to not be particularly useful on settings under 4. They run right around $300-330 and are built like a tank. Lot of people like the PK-A Venezuela too. Of course the downside is if you get tired of it or (very unlikely) it craps out you can't just throw it out and put something else on the mount due to it being one unit. Most of these ship from Belarus but there are a handful of vendors who ship them from the US for the same price.

If you want more flexibility you can't go wrong with one of AK Operator's Unions combo packs though as everything in them is quality and the price is more than fair, this is the route I think I am going with my M90 since Russian rails tend to not fit the Yugo's quite right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast