Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Current AR-15 prices- All I can say is WOW!

i believe they will continue throttling the market, keep them going quickly out of stock, keep the impression of demand and ride through the rough time.
    the $400-$500 prices we're seeing are not bad. considering the lifespan of a firearm, its a reasonable cost.
    they will make profits on quantity sales.

i will be browsing the local guys, cash in hand, see if they're anywhere near online prices (including transfer fees) and if not. their loss (not really since typical shipped-in transfer in my area is $35-$45)
    There is no way to make it out alive...

The parts and uppers I need are either not going down in price or are reduced slightly. The upper tier parts, uppers and guns seem to be holding the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    Colt and above will always hold near their price....Delton, Anderson, PSA...junk is always junk no matter what the price. Why do you think they are dumping them at such low prices?
    You can keep your mediocre Colts. A crappy company with a love for commie states and no love for the 2nd amendment. They deserved to go out of business a long time ago.
    Last edited by dkf; April 16th, 2017 at 09:26 PM.

(Bucks County)

There will always be a market for high end rifle parts but unless it is something really special parts prices will have to drop to. Too many manufacturers basically making the same things.

I think standard AR parts will get a lot cheaper. Del-ton parts kits are still listed around $500 at Midway and the cheapest I have seen then is $400. Why would I get that when a complete rifle goes for $350?

i also wish the cost of parts would drop respective to the cost of full rifles. i was hard pressed to find parts that'd cost much less than an assembled $500 rifle. and then it was like. i can buy delton parts for a few bucks less than a delton rifle. a little bit less than the ruger. it seems like it used to be you could buy the rifle for $700 or build it for a few hundred less.
    maybe i'm wrong...

(Beaver County)

If the rifle is intended to be used for real-word duties (protecting your loved ones and protecting you) stick with Colt and BCM.

There are other brands which are good.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    It also shoots about 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. If you just want an AR and aren't expecting anything special a cheaper gun will probably make you happy. If you want an awesome trigger and 1/2 in groups at 100 yards then you will be very disappointed.
    Why would anyone expect 1/2 inch groups out of what is suppose to be a battle carbine. I'm just saying. It really is a "battle" gun. If I wanted groups like that, I would buy a bolt action rifle. If I'm shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards, that gun is hitting better than I ever will need it to.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Why would anyone expect 1/2 inch groups out of what is suppose to be a battle carbine. I'm just saying. It really is a "battle" gun. If I wanted groups like that, I would buy a bolt action rifle. If I'm shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards, that gun is hitting better than I ever will need it to.
    Heartily agree. At 100 yards for this kind of rifle, 3" groupings means "it's still a head-shot" IMHO. If I want grouping accuracy inside 3" at 100 yards, or any reasonable accuracy at well-past 100 yards, I'm gonna go with something like snipers use...
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I have to say I believe this is the bottom. I don't believe quality ARs will sell new for $150. 5000 22lr for $200 I think is the bottom in that market also. Don't be a market timer. Now is the time.
    I think you're right, and I think so for this reason: We're getting to the point that selling AR's much cheaper will result in huge losses. The materials, labor and other costs involved are such that they can only go so low before a company is effectively "paying you" to take their gun. At that point, most reasonable businesses would rather just let them sit than sell them.

Think of it simplistically: If WidgetX cost me $50 to make all-in (materials, overhead, engineering, labor, etc.) I will very likely sell it for $50 in a tight market, just to get my money back/free cash flow. I may well sell it for $40 just to get the cash out and keep my inventory turns up. But there is a point (let's call it $30 in our example) where I'd sooner let the thing sit in the warehouse hoping toward a better day than sell it. Companies vary. Some companies may have that number at $25 vs . $30. Some companies, up against the wall, might go for $20. But there's a 'tipping point' where most companies just won't 'go there' and while you may find occasional 'holy shit' deals from desperate companies, they'll be the exception.

My gut is that number for 'entry-level' AR's is around $350. Yeah, might we see 'fire sale' AR's for $299? Maybe. But not many and not often. Less? Possible. But again, I think the 'known brand' guns on a regular basis are gonna drop a bit further to $350-$399 and not much more.

That's my logic and rationale for my guess. I certainly could be wrong. And if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and happily scoop up some sub-$300 ARs...
    DGAF

(Indiana County)

I shoot steel with my AR's and AK's.
    I haven't shot an AR on paper for over a decade.

I'm no operator, so my $450 homebuilds and $600 factory rifles do just fine for my purposes.

I'm going tomorrow to see if a guy that I know that bought a dozen of those $388 Deltons has any left.
    I'm going to grab two more if he has them.
    Maybe I'll sell an SP1 and buy three...

i believe that with these short barrels. the fact it operates reliably and doesnt fall apart is more important than fit/finish or accuracy.
    longer barrels like 20" id ecpect accuracy as well.
    but a fluffnbuff and a check should be all thats needed for a reliable arm. plus longevity. defect free parts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast