Anyone ever have one?
    What caliber combo did you have?
    What specific sub-model was it?
    How did you like it?
    How much $?
    Scope or iron sights?
    Accuracy?
    Ever hunt with it?
    Ever slide one in a backpack (like in a quiver?)
    Also, are there any models to consider/not consider?

I saw a few of these through the years at various LGS's but usually walked away with an old bolt battle rifle instead. Now I'm finally considering getting one. I'm thinking of maybe a 357/12 combo, a 308/12 or a 22-250/12....depending on what's actually available. Any opinions or observations on that?

I was thinking that a 357/12 might be a great camping gun when paired with my Dan Wesson 357.
    Last edited by FJW; May 7th, 2017 at 11:50 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Savage 24 combos?

My grandpap had an old model for many years it had the sliver frame with game scenes on it it was a 22 lr over 20 ga. The one I had was a plain Jane model was a 22 mag over 20 ga . Both were accurate and never had any issues with them good solid hunting guns that if needed could be used for small game and deer . As a pack gun ? They are not real light weight guns. I did try a scope one summer on mine and was accurate enough to kill a few ground hogs out to 125 yds or so . Last one I seen for sale I was amazed what they are going for now paid 125 bucks back in the 1980's pap bought his prob in the 1970's

(Berks County)

Have a 24V 30-30 / 20ga. that I purchased back in the 70's. I needed a quick inexpensive rifle to deer hunt with and this was it.
    Very nice rifle and it served me well, it was my sons first deer hunt rifle before he got his first Winchester!
    I still have it and I won't part with it, maybe someday one of the grandsons will take it!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    My grandpap had an old model for many years it had the sliver frame with game scenes on it it was a 22 lr over 20 ga. The one I had was a plain Jane model was a 22 mag over 20 ga . Both were accurate and never had any issues with them good solid hunting guns that if needed could be used for small game and deer . As a pack gun ? They are not real light weight guns. I did try a scope one summer on mine and was accurate enough to kill a few ground hogs out to 125 yds or so . Last one I seen for sale I was amazed what they are going for now paid 125 bucks back in the 1980's pap bought his prob in the 1970's
    Thanks for all your info. Just trying to see what people's experience has been. As far as being a "pack gun" I am thinking real expedition backpack here, not "daypack". The kind you carry stainless steel pots and pans and similar gear in. A daypack would certainly sit sideways on your shoulders with a rifle like this inside it. Or at least the rifle would sit sideways... I've always liked the idea of something like a coach gun in a quiver with a good sidearm supporting it.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by loknload View Post
    Have a 24V 30-30 / 20ga. that I purchased back in the 70's. I needed a quick inexpensive rifle to deer hunt with and this was it.
    Very nice rifle and it served me well, it was my sons first deer hunt rifle before he got his first Winchester!
    I still have it and I won't part with it, maybe someday one of the grandsons will take it!
    Nice. Personally, I dont even hunt much at all.... but if I do I prefer simple single-shot guns (or double, in this case). If P. A. passes the semi-auto proposal I might try taking a deer with my AK sometime just for shits and giggles. But I really prefer the pure and simple for hunting, black powder, etc.

I've got 2. Early model in 22 over 410. Was my grandfathers. I've killed a ton of small game with it. Picked up a 24 v series last summer at an auction that is like new. 222/20. I haven't shot it yet. Probably gonna sell it.

I have two 24v's as well. 222/20 & 30-30/20. I love them both but I wish the 222 was 223 and the 30-30 was over 12
    The 222 is the oddball in the collection and I only keep one box of shells on hand.

(Berks County)

That was my only wish with mine as well, 12ga instead of 20. But at the that's what they had!
    It has served me well though!

(Lycoming County)

I've got one in .22mag over 20. I used to keep it as a truck gun. It's got a couple ground hogs and a pigeon or two over the years. I've taken it out for squirrels as well, but never had any luck when I had it with me. I'd like to get one in .223 over 12 also.

(Chester County)

I bought my 1st, a 24p in .22 mag./20ga. plain Jane that the previous owner tried to do some Bubba wood working on, twenty some years ago, it is accurate and relatively light. I have taken several squirrels and groundhogs with it. I plan to use it for turkey hunting in the future also.

For years, I searched for the elusive 24f in .223/12 ga. and finally found one about 12 years ago. I use it for Fall turkey hunting and it has served me well, as I have taken a bird with each barrel over the years. The 24f weighs a ton and I'm getting tired of toting it through the mountains but no one, so far, has been willing to pony up the money for what I know it's worth, and I'm in no hurry to sell.

Just last year, I came across a 24p in .22 lr./20 ga. in very good condition for $225 and decided to buy it as an investment or trade bait, as I see these regularly go for $325 - $350 on Gunbroker, and ridiculously higher prices at local gun shows. I like the versatility and the uniqueness of the platform and expect to have atleast one to pass down in my family in the years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast