Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy I've got a floater

I have the Chinese SKS that I put a Tapco stock on. I haven't shot it for a couple years and the Grand kids (late teens) wanted to take it to the range. To my surprise I found about a 16th of an inch slop where it locks together. I checked to make sure the latch was fully engaged, and it was. It shot fine and with the kids shooting it I don't know if the accuracy suffered at all. Has anybody experienced anything like this. I suspect it will be a real chore to make it tight again. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Thanks.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: I've got a floater

Are you saying there's slop between the action and the stock, as in the action/trigger housing is too "tall" when in the stock allowing a gap or are you saying there is a folding stock and it is loose at the hinge?

If it's the receiver you can simply add shims to the stock.

(Chester County)

OP, sorry I can't help. From the thread title, I thought this was about plumbing or UNGAWA...
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

What is floating?

(Schuylkill County)

They all float down here.

(Bucks County)

Let me guess...it only floats in the water hazard near the 15th hole?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I have the Chinese SKS that I put a Tapco stock on. I haven't shot it for a couple years and the Grand kids (late teens) wanted to take it to the range. To my surprise I found about a 16th of an inch slop where it locks together. I checked to make sure the latch was fully engaged, and it was. It shot fine and with the kids shooting it I don't know if the accuracy suffered at all. Has anybody experienced anything like this. I suspect it will be a real chore to make it tight again. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Are you saying there's slop between the action and the stock, as in the action/trigger housing is too "tall" when in the stock allowing a gap or are you saying there is a folding stock and it is loose at the hinge?

If it's the receiver you can simply add shims to the stock.
    I recently bought a Chinese SKS. The seller told me the stock was shimmed because it is a pressed in barrel and he has it in a stock cut for a threaded barrel. I have yet to get it to the range. Most likely this Friday. It does not have any slop in it that I can discern.

39flathead, does the sellers disclosure make sense to you?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I recently bought a Chinese SKS. The seller told me the stock was shimmed because it is a pressed in barrel and he has it in a stock cut for a threaded barrel. I have yet to get it to the range. Most likely this Friday. It does not have any slop in it that I can discern.

39flathead, does the sellers disclosure make sense to you?
    Yes, the pressed and threaded barrel Chinese SKS's have slightly different stocks.
    Iirc it's in the recoil lug area.
    I believe the pinned will go into a threaded stock with some shimming but putting a threaded into a pinned requires grinding.

It's been a while since I messed with swapping stocks, but I know there is a difference.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Yes, the pressed and threaded barrel Chinese SKS's have slightly different stocks.
    Iirc it's in the recoil lug area.
    I believe the pinned will go into a threaded stock with some shimming but putting a threaded into a pinned requires grinding.

It's been a while since I messed with swapping stocks, but I know there is a difference.
    Thanks brother. I have to spread the rep first.

The seller seemed to know what he was talking about and came across as trustworthy. Glad I decided to buy it.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.