Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Smith and Wesson M 2.0 Compact?

When the hell will Smith & Wesson release a Glock 19 sized compact. By that I mean 15+1. Not the 12+1 size they have out now. The compact model for the Generation 1 M&P I actually considered to be closer to subcompact. If Smith & Wesson would just release a Glock 19 size model I believed it would outsell the Glock 19. I've been anxiously awaiting this for a few years. I hope that with the new model they will finally come around to it. Any thoughts?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson M 2.0 Compact?

A full size M&P has a 4.25" barrel, and the Glock 19 has a 4.01" barrel. There isn't that much difference in size regarding the two.

"The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Montgomery County)

I currently own all the Glock 9mms made except the 26. I have a 27 that I got post fire-armageddon where there was no 9mm to be found, but I always could score some .40.

I currently also own a M&P Compact 9mm. The compact is super close to the 19 in size, especially if you use the pinky extension magazine. What I'd like to see is a +3 base pad for the compact, which would give it the same capacity as the 19. Seems everyone makes stuff like that for the Glock, but not the M&P. The extensions I did find were to add capacity to the full size M&P. I do also have a full size mag and the grip sleeve, but then I may as well carry a full size.

I'll go on record as an avowed Glock guy, but I got a deal I couldn't pass on the compact. If someone were to trade for a gen4 26, I'd take the trade, but it is a nice pistol and deserves similar product support...

(Lehigh County)

Don't get your hopes up. I suspect that S&W does not see enough of a market to put a new gun in that slot. As mentioned above, there just is not that much difference between the Glock 19 and the full size M&P. They are currently pushing Shields and the other smaller guns with rebates, so I would not expect any action on things until that promo expires.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

Are you sure it's not a sub compact like the G26 you're hoping for?

(Delaware County)

Thanks to everyone so far for their thoughts. Yes I understand the difference in the size and how it is minimal. I have both guns and I have compared them. I've also carried both. It's because of the feel between the two, I would really like Smith and Wesson to make the Glock 19 size. I like shooting the Smith much more than shooting my Glock. I have many models of each. I know some of you may not agree but the difference in size is noticeable to me. I understand your points that you're making about the full size M&P but that's the reason I don't carry the Glock 17. Slightly too big. The biggest reason I would like to switch over to the Smith is it feels completely perfect in my hand. Glock, not so much. I should mention that some of you probably disagree about shooting the M&P because of the trigger. I have the CORE model both 9 and 40 and that trigger feels much better to me. At the end of the day this is just some fun gun banter. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything is all. Happy shooting

(Lancaster County)

No I get it. I complained for years that Glock doesn't have a G19 sized 45acp. I know the G30 is damn close but the grip isn't the same. The G19 feels like it was custom made for me

Anything around 4" barrel I consider compact.

(Fayette County)

I see your point.

For carry, the G19 barrel length makes more sense when compactness is a consideration.

I have to agree with gghbi in this thread; to follow up on gghbi's point, the M&P line is sold to police departments who carry openly. That means that compactness for carry is not necessarily the primary consideration. The longer site radius and longer barrel should, on average, mean greater accuracy and higher projectile velocity -- two important law enforcement considerations, especially as many use the 9mm cartridge.