Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Glock 35 w/9mm Conversion- What are the downsides to this config?

If running a Glock 35 w/a 9mm Conversion...What are the downsides to this config? Is it more like to have Fail to feed, Fail to eject issues, etc?

Since it will be used primarily to shoot Steel Target competition I want reliability. I want to shoot 9mm but am considering buying the 35 with conversion barrel so I have the flexibility to shoot 40 if I would shoot other league where power factor is taking into consideration.

Thanks
    Steve

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Glock 35 w/9mm Conversion- What are the downsides to this config?

Magazines are the same, the only difference is the follower. Buy some 9mm followers and you'll have magazine choices. The ejector in a .40 is a little bit farther left than a 9mm. I've fired maybe 1000 rounds converted to 9mm with a .40 ejector. If I hadn't learned of the difference, I'd have never known it by shooting. I don't know if there are differences in the extractors...would seem logical due to differences in rim diameters...but, again, I use the .40 extractor for the 9mm conversion.

BTW...for a few years I was shooting a 9mm after-market barrel (not a 9mm conversion barrel) in my .40 (G23, 3rd gen). Then I converted to 357 SIG. One day I was cleaning the gun and had barrels on the work surface when I noticed the 9mm barrel looked more slender than the 357 SIG. I miked the 9 and sure enough, it was. I had been shooting a 9mm barrel which was undersized for the .40 barrel hole in the slide. I figured this excess play would set up a battering condition and eventually cause undue wear and tear...plus it had to have cost a little bit in accuracy. I then purchased a conversion barrel and sold the 9mm barrel. So make sure your purchase is a conversion barrel, not a 9mm barrel.

My experiences with reliability re the above scenarios... never missed a beat. I have fired .40 in 9mm magazines and vice-versa, without hint of failure. Glocks are so versatile and interchangeable the more you understand them the more they are amazing.

If you are concerned about the ejector being "wrong", purchase the right one. Not hard to install. Same for the extractor. But eventually all this disassembling and reassembling to accommodate the two calibers may add up to buy a second gun.

ETA: I never changed recoil springs. Same one runs all three calibers. I did buy a new one when I converted to 357 SIG because I had no way of knowing how many rounds were fired before I purchased the gun used (former police handgun).
    Last edited by Bang; April 5th, 2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: than, not then