Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: We can still get semi autos in pa for big game

Read of all the hunters killed? This PGC report says it is a rare occurrence:

Pennsylvania hunters experienced the lowest number of hunting accidents on record in 2015, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

There were 23 hunting-related shooting incidents statewide last year, according to a new report from the commission.

Two of the resulted in fatalities. One was self-inflicted, and one resulted from a shot where the victim was in the line of fire.

Except for 2012 - the first year without a single reported fatality related to gun handling in hunting and trapping in Pennsylvania - at least one fatality has been reported each year. There was one fatal incident in 2014.

Brent Glass says his book "tells the story of America through places that matter in our history. These great American places represent fundamental themes in our national narrative."

Pennsylvania has compiled data on hunting-related shooting incidents since 1915.

The previous record-low was 27 incidents in 2013. Prior to 2013, there never had been fewer than 33 incidents reported in a year, and 2015 marks the third straight year in which fewer than 30 incidents were reported.

HRSIs in Pennsylvania have declined nearly 80 percent since hunter-trapper education training began in 1959.

"If you look back at the hundreds of incidents that occurred year after year in Pennsylvania decades ago, it really is remarkable how far hunter safety has come, and it's been accomplished largely through a team of hard-working volunteers dedicated to making hunting continually safer," said R. Matthew Hough, commission executive director.

A total of 38,671 students received their basic hunter-trapper education certification in Pennsylvania.

In 2015, five of the 23 incidents resulted from individuals with 10 or fewer years of hunting experience.

No incidents in 2015 involved a youth participating in the Mentored Youth Hunting Program, which enables hunters under the age of 12 to harvest certain wildlife species if they are accompanied by a licensed adult.

About 32,680 Mentored Youth permits were issued.

The leading causes of hunting-related shooting incidents in 2015 were a victim being in the line of fire or unintentional discharge, each of which accounted for 35 percent of the total.

Requirements for hunters to wear orange in many seasons and ongoing hunter-education efforts are essential to the upward trend in hunter safety, the report states.
    Last edited by Bang; April 5th, 2017 at 01:44 PM.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You mean like what happens in the 48 other states that allow hunting with semi-auto? I hear the woods are just chocked full of dead bodies.
    Hahaha. Love this reply.
    Last edited by GTO Kroh; April 5th, 2017 at 04:49 PM.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    If there is a twig or stick in the bullet path you don't see it can deflect the bullet slightly. Happened to my grandfather a few years ago.(150gr .308 mdl 700) He got the deer on the 3rd shot (got up and ran)but that is unusual for him, he usually puts it right through the heart on the first shot.
    I didnt mean by bullets that miss. I would be lying if I said I dont miss..... I meant impacts. And if it takes 3 into a critter to stop it. Well. Guess you dont have much meat left anyway. I guess it was an expression I put there that got out of hand.
    Last edited by GTO Kroh; April 5th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GTO Kroh View Post
    No. If you miss it's one thing. But if you hit that deer and didn't have good shot placement it drops and goes to get up. You have an immediate follow up shot. I'm just saying. You shouldn't have to put 3-4 or 5 rounds into one animal to kill it. Probably bad wording on my part
    I don't think that happens often.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

A couple points that I have not seen elsewhere.

Some of those opposed claim that people will be spraying lead if semis get approved. That does not make sense. A person will not change his ethics just because he gets to use a different gun. (That point may have already been made).

Wannabe "operators" will go into the woods with their toys just so they can kill something. I doubt they will leave their couches in their mothers basement and do what it takes to get a hunting license.

Real operators will go into the woods with their favorite guns just to kill deer. I doubt someone with real life battle experience will be swayed to hit the woods just to shoot a deer, there are other places to scratch that itch. Even if they do, I would think they could take a deer ethically due to knowing how to use the weapon.

There will be less deer for them if more people hunt. That is the biggest crock of shit. You don't just go into the woods and suddenly become the great white hunter. It takes a long time to learn how to hunt and be successful. Plus don't we want more hunters in the fold? To me it would be a good thing because it would ensure the open spaces stay open.

(Chester County)

This whole issue has nothing to do with hunting or safety. All guns are the same. They fire bullets when the trigger is pulled. The issue is political. Wolf and his allies are pressuring the PGC to not allow big game hunting with semi autos because of Bloomberg money and nothing less. More people are injured during Spring Gobbler season than deer season any day of the week.

Hell, I was shot during small game season by a guy with a Browning over and under while shooting at a flushed quail. I took a 20 gauge shot across my chest at about 30 yards. Luckily I was dressed heavily with a vest and heavy coat and only minor injuries occurred. Nothing broke skin but I had pellet marks on my stomach and chest. My dog didn't get hit because I saw the shot coming and got him around the back of me before it hit me. So to say this semi auto issue is about safety is just plain BS and everyone knows it. As is always the case it's the person shooting and not the gun that is the problem.

The PGC only surveyed those they knew would answer appropriately. What is effing nuts is that hunting with buck shot is still legal but not semi autos. You have no idea where some of that buck shot is going after it leaves the barrel. That to me is inherently more dangerous to other hunters and non hunters they may be in the area. I saw first hand at Ridley Creek State Park a guy being taken out after catching a couple of buck shot from another hunter. I can't remember whether he died or not but he sure as heck got shot.

As I said in another thread I'm not rushing out to buy another gun even if they do make it permissible to hunt with a semi auto but I have no problem with anyone that wants to hunt with one. I live the Special regs area and can only use shotgun but because of the buckshot issue it makes me a little nervous sometimes. I've only used Remington slugs out of my Winchester pump and have taken my share of doe with permits until the cows come home but I'll never put buckshot in it to hunt deer.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    There will be less deer for them if more people hunt. That is the biggest crock of shit. You don't just go into the woods and suddenly become the great white hunter. It takes a long time to learn how to hunt and be successful. Plus don't we want more hunters in the fold? To me it would be a good thing because it would ensure the open spaces stay open.
    More hunters has generally meant more deer and other game because of increased spending for habitat improvement. Like with most things in a market economy demand creates supply.

As for the political problem with Wolf and Bloomberg minions, what are we doing right now to solve that problem?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    More hunters has generally meant more deer and other game because of increased spending for habitat improvement. Like with most things in a market economy demand creates supply.

As for the political problem with Wolf and Bloomberg minions, what are we doing right now to solve that problem?
    Yep a crock of shit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoalcrackerAl View Post
    I'm going to get a lot of grief. But I'm glad it did not pass. And I wrote thanks for the decision. If you can't hit a deer standing how are you going to hit one on the run?
    Check out huntingpa.com, Al
    It's full of fudds over there, you'll love it.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Cumberland County)

I for one am scared to death to have a bunch of inexperienced people in the woods with semi auto rifles. Most of those people will be ringing shots off at running dear too far off to be shooting at anyhow. And let's not forget that even though it isn't allowed, there will be many of them running around with fmj ammo. What's the big deal, ammo is ammo. I've hunted in states where I have witnessed people act like they have no sense at all with a firearm. And my 12 year old son doesn't need to be around that. I have NEVER in my life needed to shoot a deer more than twice. And only had to put the second round into two, both being poor first shots on my part. I'm not saying all the people will act this way, but I've talked to a bunch of guys at work and frankly, someone is going to get killed for sure.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast