Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: We can still get semi autos in pa for big game

Every year, I read about hunters that are killed by other hunters, and this is before the evil death spewing black rifles are allowed in the field.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I'm not advocating for or against it. If folks want to use a semi to hunt big game, I am fine with that. I don't think it will turn honest, ethical hunters into lead sprayers. If the slobs go into the field with them, limited to five rounds in the mag, how is it really going to be any different than a drunk guy in the woods with a Remington 760 pump in .30-06 and haphazardly blasting away at deer that are too far or moving too fast for their abilities? It won't really be any different. Morons will be morons.

(Lancaster County)

I'd probably still use my 94. I still think we should join the rest of the states

Quote Originally Posted by GTO Kroh View Post
    No. If you miss it's one thing. But if you hit that deer and didn't have good shot placement it drops and goes to get up. You have an immediate follow up shot. I'm just saying. You shouldn't have to put 3-4 or 5 rounds into one animal to kill it. Probably bad wording on my part
    If there is a twig or stick in the bullet path you don't see it can deflect the bullet slightly. Happened to my grandfather a few years ago.(150gr .308 mdl 700) He got the deer on the 3rd shot (got up and ran)but that is unusual for him, he usually puts it right through the heart on the first shot.

(Franklin County)

I have been reading about this for a long time, here and other sources. I have never commented. I have been hunting deer since 1962. I have missed my share, and I have killed around 40. I honestly have not kept an accurate count. Yeah, I'm one of those old guys who just can't understand. I have a Browning Semiautomatic Light Twelve for small game. Would I ever want to use it for deer with slugs if I could? No. I have used either a lever action .32 Winchester Special or a .44 magnum or a .30-06 pump action all these years. Have I ever missed using a semiautomatic rifle? No. Will I ever? No. In a way, I can sympathize with all you guys who have invested in your semiautomatic rifle and now would like to take it deer or bear hunting, and if this law ever passes to allow it, I am not going to stop going into the woods to hunt deer. But, maybe somewhere in the back of my mind I may feel that there just might be some guy out there who may not see what he should that is on the other side of that deer he is shooting at, especially if it is moving and he takes multiple shots, as opposed to him having a bolt, lever action or pump action rifle. And, I realize that there are careless hunters out there carrying all types of rifles and shotguns. This is my personal observation. I will not be upset if they never allow hunting big game with a semiautomatic. Then again, I am 72.
    Last edited by Swamp Fox; April 5th, 2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    I have been reading about this for a long time, here and other sources. I have never commented. I have been hunting deer since 1962. I have missed my share, and I have killed around 40. I honestly have not kept an accurate count. Yeah, I'm one of those old guys who just can't understand. I have a Browning Semiautomatic Light Twelve for small game. Would I ever want to use it for deer with slugs if I could? No. I have used either a lever action .32 Winchester Special or a .44 magnum or a .30-06 pump action all these years. Have I ever missed using a semiautomatic rifle? No. Will I ever? No. In a way, I can sympathize with all you guys who have invested in your semiautomatic rifle and now would like to take it deer or bear hunting, and if this law ever passes to allow it, I am not going to stop going into the woods to hunt deer. But, maybe somewhere in the back of my mind I may feel that there just might be some guy out there who may not see what he should that is on the other side of that deer he is shooting at as opposed to him having a bolt, lever action or pump action rifle. And, I realize that there are careless hunters out there carrying all types of rifles and shotguns. This is my personal observation. I will not be upset if they never allow hunting big game with a semiautomatic. Then again, I am 72.
    My problem with this entire situation is that the game commission came out in January that they would would allow it for all. This made a numbers of hunters, including myself, and non-hunters excited. Then, come march, at the last minute they decided to change it. They decided to ignore the emails that were overwhelmingly pro semi and pull this highly suspect survey out of nowhere that surveyed a minuscule percent of hunters that came out against it.

If they had came out in the beginning saying they were not sure and made the decision that they made in march then I would be a bit more ok with it. But the way they went about it pisses me off. I spent money outfitting one of the semi-auto to be able to use it because everything sounded like they would ok it. Then bam, nope you can't.

So I will be hunting somewhere else if at all this year and the PGC will not see a dime from me.

(Montgomery County)

Someone said it earlier, but the reason the PGC is dragging their feet on this is probably political instead of safety. I'd bet our governor, or at least some other high ranking Democrat, has something to do with it.

If the PGC admits that all semi autos are good for hunting, even the "evil looking black ones"... then it makes it really hard to argue that those same rifles serve "no sporting purpose."

It would also be great to see them allow semi pistols, because 10mm, and because I'd want my trusty Glock by my side as it is every other day of the year...

I'm going to be far more polite about it here in this forum, because of rules... but if you are a gun owner and are OK with 2A restrictions simply because it doesn't affect your cherished bolt actions... you are part of the problem and no friend of freedom. Either get over your prejudice toward certain weapons that you just aren't familiar with, or start being truthful about what your goals are.

(Lancaster County)

You rarely miss what you never had. I like my lever action but that's not to say I wouldn't buy or use a semi if I could.
    The type of gun isn't going to change a hunter's ethics.

(Franklin County)

I'm familiar with my semiautomatic shotgun.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Bucks County)

....there just might be some guy out there who may not see what he should that is on the other side of that deer he is shooting at as opposed to him having a bolt, lever action or pump action rifle
    Ain't it funny how switching to a semi-automatic rifle affects vision? Wonder if the military is aware of this, and kept it a secret all these years.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast