Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR Failure to Feed - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by MEK1911 View Post
    If you have an other complete AR. Switch out complete uppers and lowers without switching anything else repeat your first round strip and see if the problem follows the upper or lower.
    ^^^

Adjustable six way stock.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuFury508 View Post
    Adjustable six way stock.
    does your spring measure 10 1/16" - 11 1/4"?

if you can, throw your buffer on a scale and measure how many ounces it is.

MEK - I don't have another AR

(Elk County)

Forgive the question, but are you "slingshotting" the charging handle on the first round, or "riding" the handle forward (holding on to the handle while it goes forward)?

If the bolt is open and held back by the bolt stop, does it strip and feed the first round when the bolt stop is pressed?

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Heavier spring equals slower bcg. Might start feeding problems with the rest of the mag.

(Monroe County)

I've done a lot of reading and I believe I have pinpointed the issue through trial, error, and testing. Just need a second set of eyes on this so bear with me.

That being said - I am 99% sure I need to look into a heavier buffer tube spring. I am leaning toward this the most, as it is the least expensive option, and because my issue seems to only occur when I initially drop the bolt on that first round.
    The failure appears to be taking the round only half way out of the mag. So it is starting up the ramp, not jamming, but just failing to completely come out of the mage and into the follower. Thats why I was thinking a heavier spring could maybe knock it forward with more force.
    I really think its just the buffer tube/weight/spring setup that I have.

For the money, I am almost leaning toward just throwing a heavier spring in it and seeing what happens.
    My thoughts are that if the BCG, in the locked position, does not have enough force to strip the first shell from a mag - then a heavier spring will add additional potential energy to the BCG; thus giving it more force to strip that shell when I drop the bolt.
    I think you made up your mind, no matter what people say.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

No sling shotting or riding the bolt. When we shoot 3 Gun - they want your bolt back showing an open chamber. So you enter the stage, grab your empty gun, load the mag, and then I drop the bolt.

@Rosco - I am not an expert, thats why I am on here asking.

@Gunsnwater - Interesting, so the heavier spring would slow the BCG after I fire the first round. Is that what you mean? More resistance against the BCG coming back because of the heavier spring, which would slow it down. Right?

(Chester County)

Okay, lets take it back to fundamentals here. Does the misfeed occur ONLY when dropping the bolt or also while running it?

1) An extra heavy spring will likely not solve your problem. If you're under gassed and not getting enough power moving forward, a heavier spring may only exacerbate this. If it only happens when dropping the bolt, an extra power spring may help. However, more than likely, just sitting in front of the tv manipulating the charging handle a million times will solve any issues by wearing the parts into each other (read: reduce friction).

2) What do the feed ramps look like? Does the barrel extension have m4 ramps? Does the upper?

3) How many cycles (approx.) has this new upper seen? Some bolts have extra thick coatings and truly need a break in period.

4) Is the barrel freefloated? If so, what kind of gas block? Have you taken this off to check for obstructions to the gas port? What about port/block alignment? Again, this only applies if it FTF's during live fire.

5) Have you inspected the bolt gas key staking? If the staking is poor and the key is loose, this could cause your problem.

6) Does your failure look like this: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/128...e_to_Feed.html

7) How much lube/oil are you using? A new gun likes to be dripping until loosened up a bit.

8) Have you tried dropping the bolt on 29 rounds? 28? 27? 3? 2? 1? Spring tension in the mag may be overcoming buffer spring expansion forces.

Just some thoughts...
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Elk County)

No sling shotting or riding the bolt. When we shoot 3 Gun - they want your bolt back showing an open chamber. So you enter the stage, grab your empty gun, load the mag, and then I drop the bolt . . .
    Then it is not a gas problem. Try the heavier (higher force/extra power) spring.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast