Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default reloading for sw9ve

I have everything I need accept powder. is there any way to find out what powder a certian load uses. I shoot blazer brass 115 fmj, my gun shoots this very well, I tried the winchester, and remington, and they were all over the place.

so how would I find what powder they use, or is there a powder you guys would recomend. also want to go with a hollow point, is there one bullet better than another or what. and should I stay with the 115 grain?

(Warren County)

Default Re: reloading for sw9ve

You should read a reloading handbook.

I use red dot and greet dot in my 9 mil loads.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Tioga County)

I have one, Nosler 9TH edition. should I be looking into a differnt one. not sure what load to use. by hte way, I have never hand loaded before.

(Allegheny County)

A friend has that pistol and I have shot my handloads in it. I use green dot powder and a 125 grain Lee round nose cast bullet. The gun ran fine. It's a fairly accurate load in the different 9's it's been shot in which are a Ruger LC9s and Sig 938.

I have the Lyman 49th edition book and I cross reference a lot from manufacturer's websites and work up my loads.

(Tioga County)

ok thanks. I am going to go to local gun shop, and ask some questions also. I know he reloads a lot. I do not know much, just getting into it.

(Allegheny County)

Do you have any friends that reload ? Reloading can be dangerous. Read a few books such as "ABC's of reloading" or get someone to help you. I would absolutely not trust data and info from strangers on the internet. Take a look at the glock kaboom thread.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbird39 View Post
    I have everything I need accept powder. is there any way to find out what powder a certian load uses. I shoot blazer brass 115 fmj, my gun shoots this very well, I tried the winchester, and remington, and they were all over the place.

so how would I find what powder they use, or is there a powder you guys would recomend. also want to go with a hollow point, is there one bullet better than another or what. and should I stay with the 115 grain?
    Factory ammo generally does not use what are known as 'canister grade' powders available for handloading. Doubt an ammo company's lawyers would let them tell their recipe anyway.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Tioga County)

You will not find out what a particular manufacturer uses in regards to powder.

Reloading 9mm is as easy as it gets. A lot of people like cast lead bullets, myself I have no interest in them. I use regular Hornady FMJ bullets in most cases and I buy in bulk. You can buy Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot bullets if you want to reload.

The easiest thing to do is get a reloading manual that matches the bullets you use. So for instance if you load Hornady bullets, get a Hornady manual. Their information in the manual gives you a good starting point to work from.

There is tons of established reloading data out there for 9mm. I would start with something that is a known quantity such as a Hornady bullet, a powder like Unique and loaded to an OAL consistent with the manual. First thing you need to do is actually learn how to reload first and then worry about experimenting with other stuff later.

(Tioga County)

ok. thanks, I am going to read a bunch here and then post the intended load, and have you guys let me know what you think before I load.

I'm all for reloading if you want, but CCI 5200 (Blazer Brass 115gr) is pressing hard on the $200/1000 mark, and i'm seeing signs that it'll break (downward) through that barrier pretty soon. If the gun shoots it to your satisfaction perhaps you should consider stocking up on it when it does?

If you're thinking of a JHP for defensive carry use, I'd strongly recommend you invest in sampling the factory loads to find one that shoots best for you. Many have made a strong case against reloads for defensive use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast