Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Once fired brass worth

I've concluded that it is unlikely I will ever get into reloading. There are just too many other things to spend money on, like guns.

As such, I'm wondering what 12 pounds of once fired .223 brass is worth, and how to most conveniently unload it.

I realize 12 pounds is not a great quantity, and i dont expect to retire from this score. I'm just doing some spring cleaning, and don't really have any use for a large ziplock bag full of used brass.

PS: hopefully, I will not be misunderstood. I am not intending to solicit. Just looking for some opinions, ballpark figures.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Once fired brass worth

I take used brass to the scrap yard. I always pick up what others leave behind at the range. Currently its going for 1.50 a pound.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

(Franklin County)

I buy mine from a local club that collects from their own grounds. It's about half the price of buying "once-fired" online. You may do well pricing somewhere between those two numbers. I don't reload that caliber yet, so I don't know numbers, but I'm sure there are plenty here who will have that at their fingertips.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoalcrackerAl View Post
    I take used brass to the scrap yard. I always pick up what others leave behind at the range. Currently its going for 1.50 a pound.
    That is a total waste of brass, time and energy. You are giving it away. I hope you are not the like the scroungers I have met who take brass while people are shooting. Don't ask and fight you when told to stop. Ez $3 a pound to reloaders. Scrap the 22lr.

(Beaver County)

One fired .223 range brass is worth about $40-50 per thousand. There is approx 14lbs per tbousand cases. If you want to sell it come see me at the Washington Gun Show next weekend.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Northumberland County)

Yeah i get it when im there and clean up mine and others that were left behind. I know it is worth more. I asked around and so far have not found anyone who reloads.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

Quote Originally Posted by CoalcrackerAl View Post
    If you take good brass to the scrap yard you are totally screwing everyone at your club for $1.50 a pound. Sell it to people who reload or leave it on the ground. You could get more money selling to reloaders unless it's garbage. Not being a dick, just think about it.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.