Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Sub $1000 medium range/possible hunting rifle.

Accurate quality rifle under $1000! That really narrows it down! As others have said a Remington 700 is pretty timeless. If you're worried about current quality or whatever buy a used one. 700 certainly has the edge as far as aftermarket accessories. I own Remington, Savage, and Winchester rifles and have never had any problems with any. I also like Tikka, Browning, Kimber, etc.. You could also probably get into a semi-custom rifle such as those by ER Shaw (a good Pennsylvania Company) If you're looking for long range capability it is hard to pass up what those 6.5mm's can do. Certainly a 300 will get you there too but with much more recoil for a range toy.
    Last edited by Marcus99; April 3rd, 2017 at 07:28 PM.

Remington 700 SPS. My NEW 700 SPS in 7mm-08 is a tack driver with a Bell & Carlson stock. No reason to believe the calibers the OP wanted wouldn't perform just as well. If the trigger scares you, stick a TriggerTech frictionless trigger in it. A drop-in upgrade and it feels as good as a Timney.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Wayne County)

I no long own Remingtons. I have Tikkas, Browning, Montana Rifle, T/C and Weatherby. All of these rifles have a better fit and finish than Remington. All shot sub 1 inch with factory ammo and some 1/2 inch. Look at them all and get some good glass.

(Bucks County)

I can only recommend what I own and like. Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .223 was sweet out of the box and shoots a tweak better than my MOA ARs. I've read that T3s in other calibers perform similarly.

Also a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .308. It needed a B&C Medallist to get the most consistent performance, but shoots under MOA and is a well made rifle.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a Remington 700. There have been many reports of them firing without pulling the trigger. I witnessed this happen to my nephew. It is a very nice rifle otherwise.

I would recommend a Tikka T3. I own a T3 Lite in .30-06. It's accurate, smooth action, and has a nice adjustable trigger.
    There is a recall that has been going on for about 3 years now that fixes the old walker trigger issues. They're fixing them for free and doing the right thing.

The X-Mark trigger that replaces the Walker isn't bad and is also somewhat adjustable. I've got one still in and I'm able to shoot touching 5-round groups with about 5 handloads. Otherwise, drop in a timney 510 or a rifle basix and be done with it. The trigger, as cheap as they are on the 700, should not deter you OP.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Allegheny County)

my opinion is to spend $300 on a new ruger American or Remington 788 or Savage and $700 on a scope - the better the scope the better you'll shoot and those rifles are MOA or better capable with off the shelf ammo at reasonable ranges. I'd probably go Ruger American. With a new Nikon Monarch FFP mildot scope you'll have enough money to get a sling, bipod and ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    my opinion is to spend $300 on a new ruger American or Remington 788 or Savage and $700 on a scope - the better the scope the better you'll shoot and those rifles are MOA or better capable with off the shelf ammo at reasonable ranges. I'd probably go Ruger American. With a new Nikon Monarch FFP mildot scope you'll have enough money to get a sling, bipod and ammo.
    Spending up to $1000 on a rifle, consider a Kimber 84 classic for lighter weight with a fine wood stock, a Win 70 supergrade can be found for under $1000 sometimes gently used, rem 700 (go older) etc.

(Chester County)

My next rifle will be in 6.5 mm and probably a CZ.

(Chester County)

Remember with any gun it needs to be cleaned and maintained properly. Keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Look through previous threads about gun cleaning and you still have people out there that question the validity of properly cleaning and maintain firearms.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

60 Minutes did a piece on the Rem 700s a few weeks ago. Remington cooperated thinking they would get a fair shake. What a stupid mistake. 60 Minutes did its typical edit anything as long as it enhances the negative. Like rigging the pickup truck tank to blow up, and weakening the fork so the trike will collapse and injure the rider. I hate those $%^& ing people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast