Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Buying firearms in PA as a weekend/summer resident of PA

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Why not just buy in NY, NJ, MD, MA, or whatever other shit hole you live in most of the time?

If it is because you find their gun laws unfavourable, maybe you should reconsider living in such shit holes most of the time.
    +1 but i'd say that "maybe you should consider fixing the shit holes you hail from" being that if they find the laws unacceptable, show it in the polls, find like minded residents and take it to their reps.
    i moved out of NJ but it wasn't for guns. i had my rifle permit in NJ @ 18yrs of age.

my other advise, lawyer up. this will be decided by them and they will represent you in your court case.
    also, many change their license to here to take advantage of auto insurance discounts, which is why they crack down on that multi-state stuff now (they will ask where your vehicle normally is)
    and the guns that can't be brought "home" will be stolen over the weekend as many of the homes are in communities filled with city types, which are often among the highest crime and advertise the highest security like guards, patrols and gates. (looking at you PCP, Penn Estates) they're also the cheapest "vacation homes"
    Last edited by fallenleader; April 1st, 2017 at 06:35 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    I don't believe ANY FFL is going to sell a handgun to an out-of-state person. I can see no FFL that is not going to ask for a DL or other documentation like a state issued ID card. I was an FFL and the law is clear enough to me. It's like many Sheriffs that ask for a PA State ID or DL to get a LTCF.

Whether there is a loophole that you see if not, without proper ID showing residence no FFL is going to sell a handgun to you unless you can show you are a resident.
    You didn't read my earlier post did you? It is allowed in PA as long as the buyer presents the proper paperwork to the FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    I'm a former nj resident who works in new York City. My wife and I decided to make the move from nj to pa and buy our first home. I increased my commute to 1.5 hours each way to 1. Enjoy the beautiful scenery 2. Enjoy a comfortable home that doesn't cost 500k. 3. Become a member of the free United States in regards to my personal freedoms, and gun rights. If I can do it, anyone can. Keeping nj/ny residency for whatever reason while residing in pa is in my mind proving you just want to leech off of the perks of the state. Become a full resident = enjoy the full benefits, partial resident = enjoy partial benefits minus gun rights. Your call...
    I did the same thing 6 years ago. Getting up early to catch the 6:01 AM Express out of Trenton is a small price to pay for the blessings of liberty I enjoy as a Pennsylvania resident. I have no regrets.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You didn't read my earlier post did you? It is allowed in PA as long as the buyer presents the proper paperwork to the FFL.
    Allowed is one thing. FFL's doing it is another. I tend to agree with those who suspect most FFL's wouldn't do it, or be VERY reluctant.

I can't even think of all the posts here about some FFL that would not complete an 'allowed' transaction of some sort - most more straightforward and commonly-known-to-be-allowed than this scenario...

FFL's are (with a lot of justification) somewhat paranoid about getting sideways with ATF and aren't likely to do something they fear risks their license.
    DGAF

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    No doubt. And mostly "no" they can't (legally).
    Mostly, "Yes," they can. Including New Jersey. NY being a possible exception, there are probably a few others in the entire country.

If anybody wants to argue with tl_3237, have a well researched point and not just speculation. It will save us a lot of time. If we ever drive him off out of frustration it will be a loss of one of the last Great Ones here.

And the ATF does not care if you buy a rifle, pistol, or machinegun while resident of a second or even third state. The type of gun makes zero difference, unless a personal transfer under state law. Or unless you are buying across state lines, which you are NOT if you are a resident of PA at the moment of sale.

As far as an FFL not wanting to make the sale, I have always assumed it might cause a few pause. I would tell you to GTFO if I were an FFL, but I am not. I never actually asked one. But we have at least one in this thread that has been doing it for ten years.
    Last edited by ungawa; April 6th, 2017 at 06:01 AM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

I figured since I was able to successfully complete the process since my situation is exactly the same as the OP, I wanted to thank him for providing the information as it pertains to the eCFR and dual residence. I created an account on here just to inform those interested that indeed there are FFLs who will abide by the ATF rules and be in compliance when dealing with people who have dual residence in NY and Pa. I found one who was nice enough to work with me while following the protocols in place by the BATFE. So thank u OP. Wait time is 4 months before I get mine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234