Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Buying firearms in PA as a weekend/summer resident of PA

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Can the OP even take their firearm back to their "other" state? Depending on where you live that may be a problem.............If you need a permit just to possess a firearm it might be easier to jump thru the hoops and buy it there. It might not be legal to take it home to a shithole state.
    No doubt. And mostly "no" they can't (legally).
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Pennsylvania FFLs will only sell firearms (including the handing over) to Pennsylvania residents.

Yes, federal law states one may maintain more than one residence, including one in another state, but...

Title 4, Pa. Code defines a "resident" as the following:

Title 22, Pa. Code does similar:

Bottom line, although one might try to apply federal opinions, one would probably need some sort of determination from a Pennsylvania court of record that an out-of-stater with a Pennsylvania vacation home or hunting camp meets the definition of being a Pennsylvania resident.

States do not quibble about the technical difference between "domicile" and "residence." As far as states are concerned, they are one and the same.
    You obviously haven't questioned every FFL in PA, as I'm aware of several in my area who WILL sell to out of state PA residents. There are also a few who will only sell long guns, no handguns. To each his own I guess.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    You obviously haven't questioned every FFL in PA, as I'm aware of several in my area who WILL sell to out of state PA residents. There are also a few who will only sell long guns, no handguns. To each his own I guess.
    LOL... Everyone who has questioned EVERY FFL in PA please raise your hand. I've 'questioned' precisely none myself and only "know" a handful.

But seriously for a moment: In the spirit of being helpful, please mention those FFL's specifically - since that is exactly what the OP is essentially seeking.
    DGAF

(Beaver County)

A out of state person can buy a gun in PA but cannot take possession of the gun, it must be shipped to a FFL in the buyers home state for the transfer.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    A out of state person can buy a gun in PA but cannot take possession of the gun, it must be shipped to a FFL in the buyers home state for the transfer.
    I believe that only applies to handguns. An out of state person can buy a long gun in PA as long as the long gun is legal in their home state and take possession of it at the point of sale. No shipping required.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    But we're not talking about out-of-staters, we're talking about part-time residents, who may be considered residents for some purposes but not for others.

I suppose it depends on what FFL or County Sheriff one deals with. Of course, a clear-cut court ruling would help.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    But we're not talking about out-of-staters, we're talking about part-time residents, who may be considered residents for some purposes but not for others.

I suppose it depends on what FFL or County Sheriff one deals with. Of course, a clear-cut court ruling would help.
    The black letter law covers it quite well.

Of course the law doesn't mean what it says - only what a judge *says* it says...

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    LOL... Everyone who has questioned EVERY FFL in PA please raise your hand. I've 'questioned' precisely none myself and only "know" a handful.

But seriously for a moment: In the spirit of being helpful, please mention those FFL's specifically - since that is exactly what the OP is essentially seeking.
    Right off the bat, two in Wayne Co that will, with the proper paperwork. There are several more that will only do rifles and one that won't sell at all. In the end, it's up to the individual FFL. Your blanket statements that NO FFL will sell is a misrepresentation of fact.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    Right off the bat, two in Wayne Co that will, with the proper paperwork. There are several more that will only do rifles and one that won't sell at all. In the end, it's up to the individual FFL. Your blanket statements that NO FFL will sell is a misrepresentation of fact.
    I never made a blanket statement that NO Pennslylvania FFL would do it. I said:

If I was an FFL in PA, I wouldn't touch it.
    and

I think most PA FFL's aren't going to jeopardize the 98%+ of their business selling to 'official' PA residents for this.
    I further said:

As I said before, I'd not risk it were I an FFL.

I also said

Maybe some gun-shop over near New Hope with a big component of "my PA country house" gentry customers would find it worthwhile.
    which certainly suggests I didn't mean -no- FFL would do it.

KC

PS - Which two -exactly- in Wayne County will sell handguns to out of state "part time" residents with proper paperwork? I'm sure our OP would like to know precisely which stores to go to, given that's essentially his original question.
    Last edited by KCJones; April 1st, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
    DGAF

I don't believe ANY FFL is going to sell a handgun to an out-of-state person. I can see no FFL that is not going to ask for a DL or other documentation like a state issued ID card. I was an FFL and the law is clear enough to me. It's like many Sheriffs that ask for a PA State ID or DL to get a LTCF.

Whether there is a loophole that you see if not, without proper ID showing residence no FFL is going to sell a handgun to you unless you can show you are a resident.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast