Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help review

(Tioga County)

Default help review

ok I have posted a lot on here about my S&W SW9VE, I like my gun and shoot well with it, I also liked my HI-POINT 45. I have been reading a lot of negative reviews on both. I mean there are some people that swear by them, and I have never had a problem with either of them.

Now I admit, I have never shot any of the Higher end guns, I have held a few at the gun store, but never fired. most of my friends carry S&W 9mm's near to the same as mine.

I was just wondering what the high points to these guns are compared to mine, and the low points, if there are any. like I say I have little experience with them, I have just recently begun my handgun experience.

I would like to know if there are any big advantages to the Higher end guns, and what they are, (because they are crap is not a good answear) if you think they are crap, why?

I truly do want to understand if it is a mechanical issue or just looks. as stated before, I am new to handguns. if it were WWI or WWII rifles, then I would be your man, as I have a good collection. so please be honest, if you do not like the SW9VE or the HI-POINT 45 please tell me why, even if it is simple, like it is too heavy for me.

thank you!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: help review

Have you ever camped in the woods adjacent a golf course fairway?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

LOL!!!!

(Tioga County)

ok poke fun, that is ok, I will just take the same question elsewhere. if you have the higher end guns, and if you have the means to get them, then do so by all means. myself if you can't defend them then all you have is an expensive pile of shit.

(Chester County)

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I do not like either of these guns. I feel as if many here will echo these sentiments.

SD9VE

One of the worst triggers on the face of this planet. Breaking at about 8.5 lbs, its extremely long and enormously awful. The break is not a break but rather an amorphous mush. Accuracy that I've witnessed is below par. Combat accuracy at best. You will not be shooting tight groups here. Fit/finish are below par for a polymer framed striker gun (which is not a great starting point to begin with).

Hi-point

I've never, and will never, own one. They're hideous. A block of cast shitty metal with bad parts and cheaper assembly. At least you know, when you run out of ammo, you can use it as a rock to beat the probably holeless target as it weighs the same. Accuracy is shit. Mags are shit. Its a cheap gun, meant to be marketed to people who simply don't know better or choose to ignore the vast majority of the world.

My suggestion? Save your pennies and buy a used anything else. Police trade-in glocks can be had for $300, M&P's run about the same in the same condition. If money is such a factor, you should save, buy one, reliable, decent handgun, and call it quits. Buy once, cry once. Don't waste your money on junk.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Washington County)

At least you can always throw them at the bad guys.

(Jefferson County)

SD9VE - The earlier models had some atrocious triggers, but recent production isn't as bad as before. Still nothing great, but not as horrible as they once were. Overall reliability is decent.

Hi-Point - Ugly, heavy, but effective. Accuracy isn't all that bad because of the fixed-barrel blowback design. But since it is a blowback design it can be a little finicky on ammo pressures. With a blowback design there is a bit of break-in time to get the recoil spring to "set". And over the course of time as your recoil spring wears, you'll have to adjust your ammo's pressure(lower it) or replace the recoil spring to keep the gun functioning properly or to keep it from beating itself up. Hi-Point does offer one of the best warranty policies of all the manufacturers.

For $100-150 more you can get a much better firearm than either of the above. Used, police trade-ins, etc, etc. Sometimes you have to look around though - especially if you're up in Tioga county. Those of us in the Pennsylvania Wilds often run into what I call the "Handgun Tax". ....since we're in the rural sporting area of the state - handguns come at a premium. Used handguns are often as expensive as new retail in urban areas, and new handguns are at MSRP. (meanwhile you can buy hunting rifles/shotguns dirt cheap)

I'd hit up Bud's Gunshop online to see what they have, then if you have a friendly dealer nearby that wont gouge you on a reception/delivery/transfer - have it shipped to your preferred FFL. Or, travel to one of the bigger cities to see what is available in a shop - considering cost of gas of course.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 30th, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Have you ever camped in the woods adjacent a golf course fairway?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbird39 View Post
    ok poke fun, that is ok, I will just take the same question elsewhere. if you have the higher end guns, and if you have the means to get them, then do so by all means. myself if you can't defend them then all you have is an expensive pile of shit.
    Relax Dude. It's an inside joke about an ex-member.

(Tioga County)

ok, so I need to get my hands on something that I could test fire. I will have to go to the range when there are a lot of people there, ugh. I will have to try and mingle. I do not like crowds.

I am in tioga county, and handguns are expensive here. I have sold some rifles at gunbroker.com, I am going to look for there. I will have to save some money. I will be getting an M&P45 from my brother for helping with fire wood this year. I have not shot it yet, but will be over there tomarow. I will shoot it then, and will report between the two.

I want to save and get an M&P22 as my wife used one that we borrowed from a friend that moved away and did not want to part with it.

I have read some good reviews of the M&P45, what do ya'll think of this weapon? is it worth it, or should I save and try something else. I want to shoot it and see if I see any great differnces.

thank you so far.

(Montgomery County)

I've never fired either of those. But I was able to dry fire a number of pistols (most were on my list) at the gun show (my local shop does not allow dry fire). It gave me a good idea of "the feel" of the trigger and fit to my hand. Renting at a range is another solid option.

I would also look at as many others in you price range. You might find one that really suits you, that is not on your search list.

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast