Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default PA Public Shooting Range - Noobie Help

Hello

Sorry for the noobie questions just trying to figure out what our options are

Me and my wife just purchased our first firearms this income tax and got our concealed carry permits from the court house.
    We found a state game public shooting range near us because we did not want to join a gunmans club because of the cost.
    We just wanted to shoot for fun on nice days in the summer i am confused on the pa state games website says you have to
    have a current hunting or a furtaker license the furtaker license is for the public state games shooting range only right?
    If so can i purchase the furtakers license online or does it have to be in person at the state game lands?
    If not in person and online whats the website because we would like to buy them online if possible!
    One more question do we have to have on florescent orange hunting clothing on when shooting at a public range in PA?
    Are any other rules that we should know about other then common sense firearm laws someone told me that that state games public shooting ranges require a lot of rules?

Thanks anyone that helps with this

(Wayne County)

Default Re: PA Public Shooting Range - Noobie Help

No to the orange on the range but at times I think it would help with some people. Go to any sporting goods store and you can pick up a license or they have a special tag for 30 bucks that allows you to use SGL ranges for a year if you don't hunt. Welcome to the club.

(Indiana County)

You can get an annual range permit here: http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/State...s/Permits.aspx

And here's what the law says from the State Code: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapjtoc.html

No loaded guns except at the firing station. Among other things, you can't carry a handgun in a holster while going downrange (unless it's empty).

No more than six rounds loaded in a handgun. Doesn't matter how many rounds the magazine can hold.

No more than three rounds loaded in a rifle or shotgun. Again, doesn't matter how many rounds the magazine can hold.

Yes, the Game Wardens can and do stop by and check for up-to-date licensure and how many rounds you have in your gun. Violate the rules and you will be cited. Print out a bogus range permit like one idiot did and you will be crucified (figuratively).

(Monroe County)

So OP did you get a PA Lic? Where does it say concealed? Sorry I had to.
    PA ranges are at best a pain, most of the time dangerous. Because people who don't read the rules, have no clue about range etiquette or worse yea knowing the rules ignore them.

I applaud you asking before going.
    1st click this link and the page has everything you need to know-
    http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/State...s/default.aspx
    Second I can see how new you are to this.
    It would be awesome if someone on here on that end of the state would take him to show him the ropes.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    No to the orange on the range but at times I think it would help with some people. Go to any sporting goods store and you can pick up a license or they have a special tag for 30 bucks that allows you to use SGL ranges for a year if you don't hunt. Welcome to the club.
    Two problems with that - (1) You have to take the hunter-trapper course before you can get a hunting license, and (2) Licenses are good from July 1 to June 30; if they bought a license now, it would only be good for 3 months. Same with a range permit - they'd have to pay the full $30 for a permit that would expire in 3 months.

I'm in the same boat - I'd like to get a license now that it's getting warm outside, but I'm not paying $30 for 3 months.

Thanks PGC for being so user-friendly!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Two problems with that - (1) You have to take the e before you can get a hunting license, and (2) Licenses are good from July 1 to June 30; if they bought a license now, it would only be good for 3 months. Same with a range permit - they'd have to pay the full $30 for a permit that would expire in 3 months.

I'm in the same boat - I'd like to get a license now that it's getting warm outside, but I'm not paying $30 for 3 months.

Thanks PGC for being so user-friendly!
    Most excellent point! Wait until the 2017-2018 licenses become available in mid-June. If you need the hunter-trapper course, it is available on line: https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/

I like getting the hunting license because it covers ranges and hunting and the cost is comparable.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Two problems with that - (1) You have to take the hunter-trapper course before you can get a hunting license, and (2) Licenses are good from July 1 to June 30; if they bought a license now, it would only be good for 3 months. Same with a range permit - they'd have to pay the full $30 for a permit that would expire in 3 months.
    I took my hunter-trapper course on-line here (https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/). Okay, so it cost me a whopping $19.50, but I was able to take it at my convenience without ever having to leave home. And, believe it or not, there is a lot to be learned, which is a good thing.

As for the fiscal year vs. calendar year, contact your state representative.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    No more than six rounds loaded in a handgun. Doesn't matter how many rounds the magazine can hold.

No more than three rounds loaded in a rifle or shotgun. Again, doesn't matter how many rounds the magazine can hold.
    A small pedant: No more than three rounds except a handgun at a designated handgun range, and about half of the state game lands with public shoot ranges don't have any designated handgun ranges. Just trying to keep him away from the Gestapo.

Also no shot of any kind, only slugs in shotguns.
    NRA Life Member

1. Buy the range permit as others have stated. If it's just you and your wife you only need 1 permit because anyone with a permit is allowed to bring a guest. Unless you each want to go individually.

2. I'm not sure what game lands range you are referring to but it sounds like you're going to be shooting handguns(pistols/revolvers) as opposed to long guns(rifles/shotguns) correct? In that case you may want to ensure that the game lands range you are going to has a particular handgun range. I don't mean to complicate things but I believe there is some confusion, that I believe may be being addressed at the game commission meeting today, about shooting a handgun at a "rifle" range. Judging solely from your location (new brighton?) I would guess you are planning to go to the game lands in Wexford? In that case you're fine and will have no problem, just make sure you're using the pistol range.

3. Just a suggestion but since it sounds like you're pretty new to this I would highly suggest that you look into a training course for you and your wife which will provide you with a lot of good information, most importantly safety. https://firearmtraining.nra.org/student-courses/

(Allegheny County)

General range rules and safety from somebody asking just about the same question a month ago-

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=317006

Welcome here, be safe, have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast