Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: why is more expensive better.

Quote Originally Posted by buntz90 View Post
    Canik tp9 series is great for under 400 dosome research, theres great info here http://canikdiscussions.com great reliable guns Newwe to the market so there prices are still low
    You're treading the line there on spamming the forum. How about we make this your last post about that subject, mmmmkay?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    I know of tons of people whove had to send their kimbers back to the factory to make them feed. My buddy bragged about a 3k ed brown 1911....it had to go back to be "tuned"..... freedom arms.....a 2 thousand dollar cowboy gun....back to the factory......never heard of a glock needing to go back home to work....or a s&w sigma for that matter. Screw them guys.
    Check out the sigma 380. Limited life span. Designed that way. Made it in 9mm also. Early models. Not made any more.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    What if I want the girlfriend experience?
    How about the Jewish girlfriend experience?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    How about the Jewish girlfriend experience?
    That episode was just on tonight. Lol

(Butler County)

I think serviceable quality in firearms usually levels out between $500-$700. Above that you start paying for a name, a sjiny finish or jeweled look, bells and whistles that aren't really that neccessary, etc. Very good guns can be had for $300-$400. Under that margin you'll start to make clear sacrifices in things like finish or functionality to where it will truly be undesireable. The only exceptions Ive seen were with some old military and police surplus guns, especially combloc. Occasionally some clones of famous designs can be found very cheap which are excellent and barely break past 3 bills. May not be the best finish, but whatever. You can always touch up things like that when you get around to it. Often I think thats the best way to go about it on a budget.

Bear in mind that a huge number of expensive >$800 guns actually have their share of problems and quirks, even when they look great. I doubt I'll ever spend more than $1000 on a gun even if I can.... although the Saiga I converted to AK format and added some furniture to could probably fetch just about that if I sold it. I bought the original "sporting rifle" config for about $400.

My first handgun was a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact in 45ACP. I got it for about $425 seven years ago with two extra mags. It works great, looks good n shiny, always goes bang, and never malfunctioned except when using some REALLY bad reloads. My only complaints are that it bites me sometimes, and mags only hold 7 rounds. But just because it bites me doednt mean it will bite someone else.

. As I said, I kind of think that the $500-$700 range is the sweet spot for a sweet looking reliable firearm. Occasionally you may get lucky or there may be a few exceptions. I think Smith&Wesson's M&P line is a good example. Bersa, my first handgun, has been called the $400 gun with the $800 value. I think thats basically true. Bersa is made in Argentina. There are also some guns made in other countries, like Canik and Tristar, FEG, and some stuff imported by Interarms which have incredible value for the money. These are just the ones I know. There are many other obscure brands that people talk up, such as Star (Spanish) and Kahr (USA) which offer great workmanship for the money. You dont hear about them much on these threads though.

I am pretty confident with the monetary guidelines I gave. But many other people wiml have other brands to suggest which I havent thought of, but which also fit into those guidelines.

Personally I think brands like Kimber and Colt are way overrated for what they cost. You'll get a pretty gun with a nice name though. Maybe too pretty. Sig? Now there I believe is a gun which is usually worth almost every penny of what they ask for. If and when I buy a $900 handgun it will probably be a Sig. :-)
    Last edited by FJW; April 26th, 2017 at 10:29 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You're treading the line there on spamming the forum. How about we make this your last post about that subject, mmmmkay?
    Actually this post was relevant in this thread. If you shoot one you may be enthusiastic about it as well but fine wont post about it any more

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Cheap doesn't work with certain items that wear out, taste lousy, etc. You really do get what you pay for with some things... the following come to mind:

• house paint
    • tires
    • steak
    • power tools
    • etc

I've had $15 tires do the trick as a blowout replacement until it was time to replace all 4.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    I think serviceable quality in firearms usually levels out between $500-$700. Above that you start paying for a name, a sjiny finish or jeweled look, bells and whistles that aren't really that neccessary, etc. Very good guns can be had for $300-$400. Under that margin you'll start to make clear sacrifices in things like finish or functionality to where it will truly be undesireable. The only exceptions Ive seen were with some old military and police surplus guns, especially combloc. Occasionally some clones of famous designs can be found very cheap which are excellent and barely break past 3 bills. May not be the best finish, but whatever. You can always touch up things like that when you get around to it. Often I think thats the best way to go about it on a budget.
    I think your upper limit is low, I'd double it, but your basic premise is correct. There are some very reliable, not too fancy pistols that will cost $1000 or more. And you not getting anything really special.

$300 bottom seems about right, with the Bersa's, police trade-in's, and other used common models.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Cheap doesn't work with certain items that wear out, taste lousy, etc. You really do get what you pay for with some things... the following come to mind:

• house paint
    • tires
    • steak
    • power tools
    • etc
    I really do hate the taste of cheap house paint.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I think your upper limit is low, I'd double it, but your basic premise is correct. There are some very reliable, not too fancy pistols that will cost $1000 or more. And you not getting anything really special.

$300 bottom seems about right, with the Bersa's, police trade-in's, and other used common models.
    My Bersa is my most accurate pistol, or at least the one I shoot best, Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I really do hate the taste of cheap house paint.
    But it has more iron in it!
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast