Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical Full Size, Semi-automatic, .45 ACP Reassembly

Just two quick questions. When reassembling, the barrel link ultimately will be in the upright position and the slide stop will go through that hole to hold it all in place? I did that and then lined up the half moon and inserted the slide stop easily and no scratches. Seemed too easy with all the talk about idiot scratches so that's why I wonder if I did it wrong? Function checks fine.

Also, the recoil spring I am told has an open and closed end but for the life of my I don't see a difference and just screwed it back on the rod and seems fine. Did I miss something?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical Full Size, Semi-automatic, .45 ACP Reassembly

Sounds like you did it right. As for idiot scratches, it's usually when someone doesn’t lift the slide stop high enough when pivoting to the half-moon insert slot. On the rock island, both sides of the recoil spring are the same and it doesn't matter which side you use. some recoil springs are wound tighter on one end only.

If everything functions correctly (both safeties, trigger, hammer) and you can rack the slide I would say you’re good.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical Full Size, Semi-automatic, .45 ACP Reassembly

Thanks! So, through the barrel link hole is correct? I'm not sure you could assemble it in any other position?

It seems with the slide stop, really did go easily. I positioned the half moon, put the slide stop through barrel link and pressed down and ball detent on whatever that part is on the frame engaged fine no need to pivot or anything. Should there have been some pressure on there that would have made this difficult? It didn't seem like there was any. Like I said all safeties work, rack the slide is fine, trigger, function check.

As far as the spring, all videos I see say the ends are different but I tell you they look the same to me; both come back on themselves at end.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Monroe County)

through the barrel link hole is correct?
    Yes

I'm not sure you could assemble it in any other position?
    You could miss the hole but the barrel won't lock up and you probably couldn't move the slide to align the half moon cutout.

It seems with the slide stop, really did go easily.
    It generally is easy, sometimes you miss the sweet spot on the ball detent but i say you did it spot on.

Yes, most springs are different on both ends but my example of the rock island is the same as yours. both sides are exactly the same. I was almost 100% sure but i contacted rock island to confirm.

(Susquehanna County)

Some people have trouble getting the link to line up with the window for the slide stop. The best way I've found is with the pistol upright, just push or pull the exposed barrel a little bit to get in the right position, then insert the slide stop. Some retaining springs are tougher than others and you might run into one that needs a tool to push the spring in a bit to seat the stop.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".