Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default pellet gun backstop.

I am intrested in making a pellet backstop for my basement so i can shoot targets on days my range is closed and i can't go shoot my real guns. I heard pellet guns are safe for indoor shooting with a decent homemade backstop. I am looking for ideas for a backstop that will last. my airguns range from 560fps to 1000fps in .177 and .22 caliber. I have a variety of pellets laying around. bb friendly backstop ideas would be a plus (you know how bb's are notorious for bouncing when they hit a hard surface such as metal). anyone have pics of their pellet backstop? I wish i could mount up some dirt to use as a backstop, because I know that works great for even real firearms. I thought this would be a good place to post this because airguns are firearm related and the people's republic of new jersey thinks they are firearms.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: pellet gun backstop.

I use something like this, but I wouldn't use bb's with it. They have some nice targets/traps for bb's as well, but they all seem limited to around 750fps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=172588
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

i was hopinmg for something a little bigger... where i could put some beer cans in front of it to plink or daisy shatterblasts... maybe 2-3 feet wide by 4-6 feet tall... that and if you miss, you could break something with that small area... i mean i could hit that small area veasily, but a little more space would be nice and safe.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Monroe County)

Use a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. They aren't going to go through but they will go in far enough to stick If you want to set stuff up in front of it screw a 2/4 to the front as a shelf.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Use a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. They aren't going to go through but they will go in far enough to stick If you want to set stuff up in front of it screw a 2/4 to the front as a shelf.
    I was gonna say, to put a couple of 3/4 together
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Montgomery County)

fine for pellets, but a big no no for bb's. If you hit a knot, it will come back to you. Ask me how I know.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Allegheny County)

I always used a cardboard box with 2-4 inches of newspaper and magizines fasened to the back. Its cheap, easy, and pretty safe, as long as you chage the paper every few months and put a new cardboard front on it every few weeks. Also if you do use this method make sure the newspapers are still folded nicely, not crumpled, but make sure they are not packed too densely, you want a good amount of shock-absorbtion, especially with BB's.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Pike County)

Used to take cardboard boxes and fill'em up with layers of cardboard and newspapers. You can use a box as big as you need, and tape new cardboard in front for targer holders.
    With lower power BB handguns many of the BB's where reusable, Important when I was a kid with limited $$$. My dad and I spend many rainy days in the basement shooting many 1000's of BB, great pratice.

(Butler County)

I have seen people use plumbers putty (just a big blob of it in a box behind the target) as a backstop. Although, you still have to deal with any flyers that miss the target

Side effect is reduced noise because the pellets don't bounce or clang off any hard objects.
    I would assume that it would be recyclable as well seeing as you could pry the pellets out of it afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
    i was hopinmg for something a little bigger... where i could put some beer cans in front of it to plink or daisy shatterblasts... maybe 2-3 feet wide by 4-6 feet tall... that and if you miss, you could break something with that small area... i mean i could hit that small area veasily, but a little more space would be nice and safe.
    I have a guy welding up some plate steel for me for when my suppressor arrives. He is doing the job for about $150.00. I will have a frame approximately 30" square, with a 45º slanted back, and an open bottom where it can be set and then filled a bit with sand. The front will have a flange on it so I can screw wood to it or hang things from it. Of course, it might be hard getting it into a basement. While it only weighs around 150 lbs, it is sort of big for some door frames. But you might think about having someone do the same for you if you can't find anything already made up.

I already shoot indoors, but that is with a Crosman pump pellet pistol and a Beeman trap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast