Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colt Delta Elite owners

I'm considering testing the waters with 10mm. I'm a big fan of the .41 magnum and .357 magnum and SIG. I like the thought of having magnum-like capabilities in a full steel auto.

That said, I'd like to hear anyone's experience with the Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I read a lot of conflicting information, and I'd like for those with experience to clarify.

1) Can the Delta Elite handle full power (Saami spec) 10mm ammo safely? What are the safe limits? (ie: 180 gr. @ 1200 ft/s?, 155 grn. @???)
    2) Does the new style Delta Elite have any updates that enhance the long term durability?
    3) How does the frame and slide stand up to 10mm over time? The 1911 was designed for the 45; does the gun shoot loose prematurely?
    4) General reliability?

I was also thinking about a SIG P220 10mm, or an old S&W 1006.
    Any experience is welcomed.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Colt Delta Elite owners

The 1006 is a tank...I want another 10 series S&W.

I had a Delta Elite that I traded away. Like you, I had read the negatives like the case not being fully supported and the beating inflicted on a gun not designed for it. I shot the 10mm "lite" loads (Remington, Federal that were loaded more like 40 S&W) so I can't give you a report on wear with the higher end loads. Given the amount of concern and documented failures, I'd believe that you shouldn't feed it a diet of the strong stuff.

I've read good stuff about the Sig in 10mm but Sig in general seems to be having a higher rate of complaints than I'd like lately.

Then there are the Glocks. I don't love Glocks but I have two in 10mm that are so far handling what I feed them including the full power loads.

There are some of the premium 1911 makers that are producing 10mms as well. There is also EAA.

My next 10mm will be either...

a Dan Wesson Bruin

or a Sig P220 Elite
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Thanks for that UncleJumbo. The only drawback to the S&W 10 series is that they will be used guns...and it's tough to know what sort of hell the previous owners put their guns through.

I think SIG has a 1911 in 10mm as well, and that one has a supported chamber (I think).

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Thanks for that UncleJumbo. The only drawback to the S&W 10 series is that they will be used guns...and it's tough to know what sort of hell the previous owners put their guns through.

I think SIG has a 1911 in 10mm as well, and that one has a supported chamber (I think).
    I generally don't get too concerned about used guns. There aren't a lot of people that use up a gun. I can think of one I owned that was messed up (not used up) and one I handled at Cabelas that was used up. It was a Les Baer 1911 that rattled like a WWII 1911.

Of course, it only takes getting burned once to make someone gun-shy...pardon the pun.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lackawanna County)

Are you buying it to have or buying it to shoot and shoot a lot? The delta elite is the grail of 10mm but if you want to shoot them then I'd start with a glock.

I'm looking at a 220 or maybe A kriss vector as a next 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Are you buying it to have or buying it to shoot and shoot a lot? The delta elite is the grail of 10mm but if you want to shoot them then I'd start with a glock.

I'm looking at a 220 or maybe A kriss vector as a next 10mm
    Carry and shoot occasionally. I have no problem carrying a Colt 1911

(Beaver County)

I have personally shot thousands of rounds out of both a S&W 1006 and a Kimber 1911 chambered in 10mm. Both are GTG in my eyes. The Colt should be fine also. I shoot regularly my 180 grain RN bullet about 1250fps out of both guns. Also the G20 and G29 get a steady diet of the same stuff.

If you come shoot IDPA in the west im the knuclehead with the fire breathers at the line.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    a Dan Wesson Bruin
    Damn, that's pretty...

(Bucks County)

From what I understand the issues with the delta elites were with the early guns. Colt discontinued the DE for several years and then re-released the DE about 4 - 5 years ago. I haven't read any issues in regards to the current DE Colt guns in 10mm but I don't go out of my to keep up with Colt 1911's.

(Allegheny County)

I have an old blued delta elite and a springfield linkless both 10mm 1911's and have had no issues with shooting regular ammo (cheap ppu and armscor up through underwood) however haven't pushed maximum loads through. Both are very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Also have a gen 2 g20 which is a very nice gun to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate but if you're not looking at spending delta money rock island makes a nice 10mm 1911. The SW 1006 is very fine but tough to find under $900 right now due to increased demand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast