Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR Pistol... what length barrel? Pros and cons.

IMHO:
    1. The AR "pistol" is supposed to fulfill a role as PDW which means a compact high capacity weapon.
    2. A "PDW" should have more firepower than a handgun and not as much as a full size Assault Rifle.
    3. 7.5 inch 5.56 pistols will achieve between 2200-2500 FPS. That's plenty of velocity and punch for the purpose of a PDW
    4. Accuracy suffers on a (cheek weld only) AR pistol. I usually practice at 25-35 yards and occasionally out to 50 yards. Based on what it will do at those ranges, I imagine with practice hits on a man size target at 75-100 yards is doable.

If you want a little more velocity than the 7.5" go with a 10.5- 11.5" barrel (2600-2800 FPS) and increased accuracy (200-300 yards) then add a stock and pay the $200 tax to SBR it.

If you want more info on ballistics based on barrel length check out this site: http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
    Last edited by Hawk; March 27th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    for an AR pistol.. IMO anything longer than 8.5 .... is too long.
    someone on here said a 10.5" barrel is not really much of a pistol...more like a rifle without a stock
    Ha! That was me in another thread.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    PS: Here are two AR 15s that I built for two of my sons.

At my level of zoom I see a happy switch on each of those. You're my kinda dad...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    At my level of zoom I see a happy switch on each of those. You're my kinda dad...
    Here is the Happy Switch with that POF 7.25" Upper on my Colt M16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0EnKyS4F70

Dane

(Allegheny County)

For 5.56 the shortest I went was 10" on my SCAR, 10.5" and 11.5" on my AR's. If I go any shorter it would be a 300 BO in 8.5".

On a 9mm 4.5"-5.5" is the perfect barrel length, you gain very little ballisticly going any longer that the gains are not worth the added barrel length.

(Allegheny County)

I chose a 7.5" because I wanted the shortest possible length. (yeah, I know I could have gotten a 7" barrel)

Once I started factoring in muzzle devices, anything more than an 8" barrel made what I wanted to do pointless - I would end up being not much shorter than my carbine.

A 16" carbine isn't any more compact than an 18" shotgun - neither of which are ideal for maneuvering in a home in my opinion.
    Since I HAVE a 16" carbine that won't lose all effectiveness at longer ranges, I don't need to worry about reduced velocities in a pistol - I'm not taking it into combat or shooting zombies in the head at 300 yards - I just want something compact for a specific purpose.

I was told to SBR it. I don't want to. Fuck all that government paperwork.
    I was told to go 300 BLK for better performance. I don't want to. Double the price to shoot and I don't want another caliber.

Anyone who wants to challenge the effectiveness within the distance of my living room is welcome to be a test subject - after signing a waiver.

I do like reading these threads though because there's always something I can learn.

EDIT: If 7 inch AR15s are such a BAD idea, why are there thirty thousand pages of pictures of them on arfcom?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

go 3" for the win

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I chose a 7.5" because I wanted the shortest possible length. (yeah, I know I could have gotten a 7" barrel)

Once I started factoring in muzzle devices, anything more than an 8" barrel made what I wanted to do pointless - I would end up being not much shorter than my carbine.

A 16" carbine isn't any more compact than an 18" shotgun - neither of which are ideal for maneuvering in a home in my opinion.
    Since I HAVE a 16" carbine that won't lose all effectiveness at longer ranges, I don't need to worry about reduced velocities in a pistol - I'm not taking it into combat or shooting zombies in the head at 300 yards - I just want something compact for a specific purpose.

I was told to SBR it. I don't want to. Fuck all that government paperwork.
    I was told to go 300 BLK for better performance. I don't want to. Double the price to shoot and I don't want another caliber.

Anyone who wants to challenge the effectiveness within the distance of my living room is welcome to be a test subject - after signing a waiver.

I do like reading these threads though because there's always something I can learn.

EDIT: If 7 inch AR15s are such a BAD idea, why are there thirty thousand pages of pictures of them on arfcom?
    It's not that a short barrel 5.56 won't work, anything below a certain length starts to loose it's effectiveness that a different caliber in the shorter length would be better suited by design.

Velocity and energy drastically decrease and chamber pressure drastically increases once you start going below a certain length. This may or may not concern you.

I prefer to get the max for the minimum when it comes to short barrels. I'm building a 8.5" 300 BO for this purpose, I'm not concerned about ammo prices because it's not a gun that will get a lot of use.

I went this direction through research and from advice of people that shoot way more than I do.

(Bucks County)

I guess the decision depends if you want to bark more......or bite more.

I can see arguments either way and its really up to the individual. There is no correct answer so the choice is yours.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    It's not that a short barrel 5.56 won't work, anything below a certain length starts to loose it's effectiveness that a different caliber in the shorter length would be better suited by design.

Velocity and energy drastically decrease and chamber pressure drastically increases once you start going below a certain length. This may or may not concern you.

I prefer to get the max for the minimum when it comes to short barrels. I'm building a 8.5" 300 BO for this purpose, I'm not concerned about ammo prices because it's not a gun that will get a lot of use.

I went this direction through research and from advice of people that shoot way more than I do.

Sure. I'm understanding it all more clearly as I read more.

I'm just of the mind that I understand that the velocity is greatly diminished - it just isn't a factor for what I want the pistol for.

If I had it in my head that I was going to build a 7" 5.56 for killing commies at 500 yards I'd certainly be happy if someone pointed out that I may want to rethink that due to the massive loss of velocity.

I think I'll be OK though if the commies are coming through my back window.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast